• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Of course think of all those...efficiency savings... Or job losses :eek:
President-elect Trump may have helped things along as well. I think we will see many Asian exporting firms looking to buy American companies to maintain cheap access to the U.S. market. Also Harman's numbers have been looking really good over the last year.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
President Trump may have helped things along as well. I think we will see many Asian exporting firms looking to buy American companies to maintain cheap access to the U.S. market. Also Harman's numbers have been looking really good over the last year.
Possibly but this deal been in the works for some time so hard to think that was a primary objective... Samsung are looking for credibility and know how for the company in terms of portable audio...

It's a Intresting deal..the automotive aspects are intriguing.

Let's face it Samsung got to do something with all that cash in the bank!

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
I wonder what Samsung will do with Harman's much less profitable areas of business. e.g. High End/Luxury Audio group. Samsung seems mostly interested in automobile electronics, which makes sense.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I wonder what Samsung will do with Harman's much less profitable areas of business. e.g. High End/Luxury Audio group. Samsung seems mostly interested in automobile electronics, which makes sense.
I await in eager anticipation for the JBL hyper train :D

JBL drone ...

JBL kettle

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
Drinks are on Amir! He prolly owns Harman stock.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is sad. I expect Samsung will probably leave JBL Professional alone, at least for awhile. its a very stable, profitable business. The automotive division is clearly their main interest, so maybe they won't screw it up. High end or even consumer audio? Who knows. I've never seen any reason to believe that Samsung has the interest in the kind of R&D that Harman does, and that's what makes them best in a few classes, at much less than most "high end." I don't think this is likely a good thing in the long run. But if you do own Harman stock, Amir, congratulations. Take the 25% and run.

Tim

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just in case you all are serious about the Harman stock bit :), I don't decide my own investments. My banker does and they only buy funds, not individual stock. So I may or may not own any of their shares. :D

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Just in case you all are serious about the Harman stock bit :), I don't decide my own investments. My banker does and they only buy funds, not individual stock. So I may or may not own any of their shares. :D
This is the most long winded excuse for not buying the drinks I have ever heard!:D

OP
dallasjustice

dallasjustice

Major Contributor
This is sad. I expect Samsung will probably leave JBL Professional alone, at least for awhile. its a very stable, profitable business. The automotive division is clearly their main interest, so maybe they won't screw it up. High end or even consumer audio? Who knows. I've never seen any reason to believe that Samsung has the interest in the kind of R&D that Harman does, and that's what makes them best in a few classes, at much less than most "high end." I don't think this is likely a good thing in the long run. But if you do own Harman stock, Amir, congratulations. Take the 25% and run.

Tim
I agree that this could be the end of high-end at Harman. But I've long maintained that the high-end and even the pro audio business is really about people; not products. Harman has great people. If those people don't feel valued, they will simply leave and start a new firm so they can continue to pursue their interests. Most of the great people at Harman came from somewhere else before they arrived at Harman.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I unfortunately forget where it was. But on some of the pro boards word has been other than the car business, which is why Samsung purchased them, everything was being given less emphasis than in the past. Mostly happened shortly after Sidney Harman passed away about 5 years ago. The car business has vastly outperformed other areas for profit. With Mr. Harman's death it is being run differently. So as with any good manager they look for maximum return. Mr. Harman had a thing for audio beyond just the profit. That isn't to say they abandoned or will areas that do still turn a profit. One area that seems to have suffered is their AVR and AV processors. That is a cut-throat low profit business and HK gear isn't as pronounced as it was just a few years back. Hopefully the pro sound and speaker business won't be adversely effected.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
ne area that seems to have suffered is their AVR and AV processors. That is a cut-throat low profit business and HK gear isn't as pronounced as it was just a few years back.
That stuff has been "phoned in" business to Taiwan/China for a long time. It doesn't have anything to do with what Harman does as a company other than reusing their brand. It is a shame as pulling their high-end solutions into that market could have been beneficial. But likely would increase their cost/retail price and that is kiss of death in consumer.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
For what it's worth:

"Operating Structure and Leadership

Upon closing, HARMAN will operate as a standalone Samsung subsidiary, and continue to be led by Dinesh Paliwal and HARMAN’s current management team. Samsung is pursuing a long-term growth strategy in automotive electronics, and plans to retain HARMAN’s work force, headquarters and facilities, as well as all of its consumer and professional audio brands. Samsung believes the combination will increase career development and advancement opportunities for the employees of both companies."

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...owth-in-automotive-and-connected-technologies

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For what it's worth:

"Operating Structure and Leadership

Upon closing, HARMAN will operate as a standalone Samsung subsidiary, and continue to be led by Dinesh Paliwal and HARMAN’s current management team. Samsung is pursuing a long-term growth strategy in automotive electronics, and plans to retain HARMAN’s work force, headquarters and facilities, as well as all of its consumer and professional audio brands. Samsung believes the combination will increase career development and advancement opportunities for the employees of both companies."

https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...owth-in-automotive-and-connected-technologies

Yes for what it is worth. How many times do you hear that as if nothing will change. Nearly always it does change.

Top Bottom