• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harman flagship store in NYC has closed it’s doors

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m in town for a few days on vacation, see a few shows and the sights. Thought I’d drop over to 527 Madison to hear what I could hear. The place was empty! There was a little piece of paper in the window saying they’ve moved to Soho on Houston. That store actually opened a couple years ago as JBL branded, and looks like it’s a lot smaller. I won’t bother trekking down there. We’re staying in midtown, and its not worth the hassle.
That was disappointing. There’s nothing I can find on line letting the public know so a person doesn’t waste his time and effort. It’s not so trivial getting around in Manhattan.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think it was a casualty of the pandemic. That's what kept me away and once I was ready to visit it had gone.

But it's good to hear they've sort of relocated it to the JBL store, though that one is quite far afield.

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Have you figured out how to get cocktails after the show? It’s 10:00PM and midtown’s buttoned up.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Have you figured out how to get cocktails after the show? It’s 10:00PM and midtown’s buttoned up.
That is definitely a legacy / lasting impact of the shut in era. I thought it was mainly a problem here on the sleepy upper west side, though midtown has struggled as much or more than many neighborhoods.

Hotel bars aren't my usual go to unless the sidewalks have already been rolled up. But maybe that's what we've been reduced to? The bar at the Baccarat Hotel is outstanding... but the prices will drive you to the poorhouse. The Hudson Hotel on W. 58th always went late back in the day.

If you're in the theater district maybe try Marseille, it's a French restaurant and the wine list is said to be decent.

Wish I had better info for you.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m in town for a few days on vacation, see a few shows and the sights. Thought I’d drop over to 527 Madison to hear what I could hear.

It's been downhill ever since AR and Dynaco shut down their Grand Central Station demo booth. I even read that Lyric closed up shop in Manhattan. But then I read that they just stopped walk-in traffic, and that potential customers can call for an appointment if they want to schedule their own personal beat down and insult session, with one of Lyric's arrogant sales associates. So it's not a total loss for shoppers in the Big Apple. :cool:

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
McIntosh closed down the SoHo Townhouse. I understand as part of the negotiation with the landlord, they simply walked away and left EVERYTHING behind as part of negotiating breaking their lease.
1656077232301.jpeg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
McIntosh closed down the SoHo Townhouse. I understand as part of the negotiation with the landlord, they simply walked away and left EVERYTHING behind as part of negotiating breaking their lease.

That's pretty funny, if it happened. But I can imagine their customer conferring with the MacSalesman. "Yes. I'll take it all. But for my living room, do you think you can replace the big wall mounted clocks with two blue meters that bounce up and down? Is that possible?"

macworld.jpg

Keened

Forum Donor
There is one main force that is destroying NYC stores and it's landlords and their peripheral lobby (developers, etc).

If you don't have a tenant you are allowed to carry losses forward on your taxes for multiple years. They would rather have an empty space than actual tenants and it insulates them from any kind of natural market correction short of apocalyptic scenarios. This is absolutely destroying the greater economic sphere because old businesses are pushed out by absurd rents and new small businesses can't grow back in their place.

The solution is to penalize simply holding empty stores, limit conglomerate real estate holding corporations, and revamp zoning and building codes so both 1st and 2nd stories can be used for businesses.

Also fix the general housing and public transportation systems because stores require local consumers and foot traffic.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you don't have a tenant you are allowed to carry losses forward on your taxes for multiple years. They would rather have an empty space than actual tenants...

Maybe. But in this specific instance there are other factors one could consider. In the case of Lyric (to use my example), the general lockdown likely had a huge impact on their sales. When people can't come in, sit down and be happy, while looking for product, it doesn't matter what the rent is. Of course you could argue that anyone going in to Lyric couldn't ever bet on leaving with that warm, fuzzy and happy feeling, but that's another issue, altogether.

If I'm not mistaken, McIntosh just went through a brand reorg. The NYC location also carried ARC and Sonus Faber. Are those brands still part of the Mac stable? We are in a general beginning recession with high inflation. All portfolios are dropping, and depending on investments, maybe tanking. Now, perhaps the majority of McIntosh customers are 'inflation-proof'. I don't know about that, since I'm not their intended customer. But even Wolf of Wall Street types are probably thinking twice about high five and six figure hi-fi purchases, given the current state of the economy. And if dealers are not selling product, it doesn't matter too much what the rent is. Other fixed costs can hit hard. Real hard.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
That's pretty funny, if it happened. But I can imagine their customer conferring with the MacSalesman. "Yes. I'll take it all. But for my living room, do you think you can replace the big wall mounted clocks with two blue meters that bounce up and down? Is that possible?"

View attachment 214415
A McIntosh distributor confirmed the story a month after the closing. He had no reason to lie, it would have been more likely that he denied that embarrassing fact. The cost to pay off the lease would have been far greater than the value of the gear and furnishings, although substantial. Take a look at not only all the gear... but the furnishings! Gallery

1656083375069.jpeg

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A McIntosh distributor confirmed the story a month after the closing. He had no reason to lie, it would have been more likely that he denied that embarrassing fact. ake a look at not only all the gear... but the furnishings!
I don't know whether I'd want to listen to that set up, or bow down and genuflect to it in some sort of esoteric pyramid power ritual! I think a Bacchanal ritual with some priestesses might be the way to go. I wonder what they do, upstairs? :)

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I don't know whether I'd want to listen to that set up, or bow down and genuflect to it in some sort of esoteric pyramid power ritual! I think a Bacchanal ritual with some priestesses might be the way to go. I wonder what they do, upstairs? :)
Absolutely. Truly... a Harmonic Convergence! :cool:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the possible exception of speakers the audio electronics hardware Renaissance is almost over, due to Class D, internet streaming, second world robotic assembly, smart phones and the slow death of broadcast radio. Like mechanical watches going to electronic smart watches much of the twentieth century experience is becoming a hobby for few and a commodity for many. The ritual of sharing a musical experience is replaced by drones walking around with headphones planted in their ears looking at screens and $300 concert tickets. Even computers the zenith of technology of recent times are disappearing at the hands of phones and tablets. My married nieces and nephew all met on the internet. Not complaining nor nostalgic, time moves on and I'm looking forward to that next really cool electric car and enjoying all the access I have to the world's music. Thanks to sites like this, with the testing and spirited discussion I can afford to have great sounding music in every room and with me, when and wherever I go.

Sorry for the rant. I've only been to NYC twice so hope it doesn't change too much because I had a lot of fun there.

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
With the possible exception of speakers the audio electronics hardware Renaissance is almost over due Class D, internet streaming, second world robotic assembly, smart phones and the slow death of broadcast radio. Like mechanical watches going to electronic smart watches much of the twentieth century experience is becoming a hobby for few and a commodity for many. The ritual of sharing a musical experience is replaced by drones walking around with headphones planted in their ears looking at screens and $300 concert tickets. Even computers the zenith of technology of recent times are disappearing at the hands of phones and tablets. My married nieces and nephew all met on the internet. Not complaining nor nostalgic, time moves on and I'm looking forward to that next really cool electric car and enjoying all the access I have to the world's music. Thanks to sites like this, with the testing and spirited discussion I can afford to have great sounding music in every room and with me, when and wherever I go.

Sorry for the rant. I've only been to NYC twice so hope it doesn't change too much because I had a lot of fun there.
Ranting was invented in NYC. It's one of the most rapidly changing environments on the planet. If it's been more than 5 years since you've been there... it isn't there anymore. Savor the memories... the only place where they still exist... are your synapses. Personally... I miss the Automats.... and the Harmon Store... and the McIntosh Townhouse... which I someday hoped to visit... alas... Carpe Diem.

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
That is definitely a legacy / lasting impact of the shut in era. I thought it was mainly a problem here on the sleepy upper west side, though midtown has struggled as much or more than many neighborhoods.

Hotel bars aren't my usual go to unless the sidewalks have already been rolled up. But maybe that's what we've been reduced to? The bar at the Baccarat Hotel is outstanding... but the prices will drive you to the poorhouse. The Hudson Hotel on W. 58th always went late back in the day.

If you're in the theater district maybe try Marseille, it's a French restaurant and the wine list is said to be decent.

Wish I had better info for you.
Thanks for the tip. Delta cancelled our Saturday flight, so we’ll be spending an extra day (why is that legal, I wonder?). We’ll probably stop by the Baccarat for a round on our way home tomorrow night. The bars here at the Park Lane are mediocre. Not bad, just loud and not especially good. And the Plaza closed their champagne bar at 10 last night. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom