• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hardware teardown of FX-AUDIO DAC-X6 USB DAC

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was originally thinking of the DX7 because of its balanced outputs, but then it also has a Sabre DAC just like my Oppo Sonica and I am trying to compare with something different. Word on the street is that Sabre DACs have a signature "edgy" sound.

Dismayed

Welcome aboard. I do like to test higher end products but budget has been a problem. Now that we have a way for the members to donate through Patreon and Paypal, hopefully there will be more money to play with.

For now, feel free to suggest candidates for review. I think the last one that fit your criteria was the Teac: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-teac-nt-503-networked-dac.2028/.

I'm a bit late replying because we've had a bit of bad weather here in Boston.

The Teac looks nice. That might be perfect for when I send my younger son off to college next year. Or perhaps a Cambridge Audio CNX (V2). For myself, I'm generally streaming directly from my computer to a DAC and headphone amp, so something a bit simpler should work for me. Cambridge Audio has the DACMagic 100 for $199 and the DACMagic Plus for $349. Another DAC that looks interesting is the Music Fidelity V90 at $299. Perhaps I'll just choose one and have it shipped to Amir for measurement.

My current DAC is Schiit. Luckily they are popular on many forums where people shun scientific measurements, so I should be able to unload it. It's their first Bifrost model, and I have heard distortion when I'm running a lot on my computer. Seems as if their designs are weak.

Last edited:

Dismayed

AMEN, no matter where you live, attempt to buy domestic products whenever possible.

And, if not domestic, products at least built to high standards with a workforce that's treated humanely. That's why I bought a coffee maker that is manufactured in The Netherland (for the aforementioned reasons, plus because my sister-in-law is Dutch!).

Dismayed

Welcome aboard. I do like to test higher end products but budget has been a problem. Now that we have a way for the members to donate through Patreon and Paypal, hopefully there will be more money to play with.

For now, feel free to suggest candidates for review. I think the last one that fit your criteria was the Teac: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-teac-nt-503-networked-dac.2028/.

It looks as if the Teac UD-301 has all of the features that I require, and the price point is reasonable. Thank you - I hadn't considered Teac until you suggested it.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It looks as if the Teac UD-301 has all of the features that I require, and the price point is reasonable. Thank you - I hadn't considered Teac until you suggested it.

It will interesting to compare the UD-301 with the Topping DX7. Same price, balanced outs, similar features, but the Topping comes with a remote control.

Dismayed

Hi Amir. I opted for the Teac UD-301. The price is very reasonable, and so far it is performing well. Best of all is that I can removed the Schiit Bifrost from my audio stream. I had a lot of problems with distortion when I saved photo files after editing. Frustrating because I like to listen to music when I edit photos.

Damme

First, I am sorry to wake up an old thread, but I thought it might be interesting how this device looks after being bought over 1 year later.
I bought this one from Amazon, https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01HGIOZSG
For my other European friends, I did not get an extra toll fee, It was sent from China Via Luxemburg to Sweden.

My board has date code 2019-07-13, DAC-X6J-PRO Rev: 1.0 2017.11. My chips are the following:
Usb Controller (On daughter board): Bravo SA9023A 7CQY
Spdif (Same as op) Cirrus Logic 8416-CZZ
DAC (op 4399): Cirrus Logic CS4398-CZZ
OP-Amp (Same as op) : Socketed BB OPA2134PA
Headphone amp (same as op): 88AVCOT

Large caps are marked ELNA 25v
Smaller caps are Nichicon 25v
IMG_20191208_092353.jpg
IMG_20191208_094225.jpg
IMG_20191208_094213.jpg
IMG_20191208_092400.jpg
IMG_20191208_093959.jpg

asjdoran

Hello, my first post here.

It appears that new batches have issue with crackling mids.

Yesterday I received a new DAC-X6 in the post direct from China and it also had crackling/distortion on the mids. It was very noticeable playing "Daft Punk - Doin It Right" for example.

That was disappointing but since I was planning to tinker with this unit anyway, I swapped the op-amp with an NE5532 to see what would happen. Lo and behold it eliminated the problem.

The "dot" near pin 1 on top of the DIP8 is not recessed like other OPA2134s that I have seen, but instead seems to have been printed. Is this chip a fake?

The green caps are all marked JCCON except for two blue 4.7uF marked ELNA near the opamp. I will be replacing all of them with Panasonic caps, just for fun.

IMG_20200913_175607.jpg

IMG_20200913_175537.jpg

thevirq

Yesterday I received a new DAC-X6 in the post direct from China and it also had crackling/distortion on the mids. It was very noticeable playing "Daft Punk - Doin It Right" for example.

That was disappointing but since I was planning to tinker with this unit anyway, I swapped the op-amp with an NE5532 to see what would happen. Lo and behold it eliminated the problem.

The "dot" near pin 1 on top of the DIP8 is not recessed like other OPA2134s that I have seen, but instead seems to have been printed. Is this chip a fake?

The green caps are all marked JCCON except for two blue 4.7uF marked ELNA near the opamp. I will be replacing all of them with Panasonic caps, just for fun.

View attachment 82845

View attachment 82846

Thanks! Went to the local radio store - found NE5532P and it fixed the issue! OPA2134 is probably fake in this unit

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I think they've been coming thru infected with Covid-33 1/3 :p

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

asjdoran

Thanks! Went to the local radio store - found NE5532P and it fixed the issue! OPA2134 is probably fake in this unit

Glad to hear it's working for you.

I think they've been coming thru infected with Covid-33 1/3 :p

At this price point, personally I'm okay with a bad opamp or a few germs here and there. But no phono for me please, I'm finished with it. :facepalm:

Close up of the chip I removed:

IMG_20200914_231931.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But no phono for me please, I'm finished with it.
Good for you, me too. I hauled all my LP's down to the basement around 2000. then sold them as a lot around 2010 when I retired and moved.

and it also had crackling/distortion on the mids
Sorry but I couldn't help myself, anytime folks start complaining about "crackling/distortion on the mids" I automatically start thinking about Vinyl. It just comes with the territory. :p

mikechen91331

View attachment 82845

View attachment 82846
  1. I bought it in October 2023. It wasn't until recently that I took it apart and found that some of the parts were different, but the welding process was just as bad.

Attachments

• IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4931.jpg
    IMG_4931.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4932.jpg
    IMG_4932.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 16
Top Bottom