• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hardware digital tone control?

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Auto EQ, $330. Someone should test this!

Or did you mean the auto EQ specifically?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Or did you mean the auto EQ specifically?
I didn’t know of this, but its features are what’s attractive.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
I have one. It’s brilliant.

Shame it doesn’t fit on OP’s desk.

Kimbrough Xu

Does anyone know of a physical product that is placed between the source and the DAC with knobs to change the audio tone in the digital domain?

I'd like to add some coloring to my music as my DAC hasn't got any filters that make any remarkable sound difference so such a product would be ideal to play around with,
Why don't you place the tone control behind your DAC?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know of a physical product that is placed between the source and the DAC with knobs to change the audio tone in the digital domain?

I'd like to add some coloring to my music as my DAC hasn't got any filters that make any remarkable sound difference so such a product would be ideal to play around with,

Why do you limit to "hardware" products?

You can do it with many "software" DSP solutions; you would feed digital stereo signal into DSP software for Fq-dependent multichannel crossover and relative gain control, and you may feed the DSP-ed multi-channels into single DAC via USB ASIO driver routing. (Of course, if you have multichannel DAC and multi-amplifier setup, you may feed the DSP-ed channels into multichannel DAC, just like in my multichannel multi-amplifier setup.)

Recently, I showed this diagram in my post here, just as a simplified example case, for software DSP-based XO/EQ/Delay/Gain controls in single-DAC single-amp stereo audio system. Of course, each of the XO-ed channels in DSP can be gain-controlled.
WS00005430.JPG

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe we would be better avoiding; digital source --> DAC --> ADC --> hardware digital DSP --> DAC --> amplifier(s).

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange to see there are so few products that meet my requirements. Schiit audio has three Equalizers and none of them work in the digital domain which I find quite peculiar.
I guess that’s because the progress vector to Hi-Fi is to have a playback system that replicates the source.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why don't you place the tone control behind your DAC?

Yes, I too would like suggesting it.

We may use HiFi preamp with tone control between DAC and power-amp, or we may use HiFi integrated-amp with nice tone control.

Even in multichannel multi-SP-driver multi-amplifier setup, we still can use HiFi integrated-amplifiers with excellent volume controllers for analog-level safe and accurate relative gain/tone control, just like in my setup (ref. here and here).
WS002476.JPG

WS00004941.JPG

Of course I can do the same tone control (relative gain control) using DSP EKIO inside upstream PC, but for real-time on-the-fly fine tone control, the knob-dial volume/gain control in integrated-amps wound be "safe" and convenient, I believe.

In my post here, you may find pros of using integrated amps in multichannel multi-amplifier audio setup. __In my multi-amplifier setup, gain/volume of each of the SP high level output signals given by amps are visually monitored by 12-VU-meter Array (ref. here).

Top Bottom