• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harbottle Audio Subwoofers?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Digital amplifiers have 95% efficiency. Maximum heath generated will be 600W. On the other hand an electrodynamic driver has at best 5% efficiency. That means the driver motor assembly must absorb at least 11.5kW heat. That’s enough to heat a house!
Imagine how hot that dust cap and cone will be…

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

nerdoldnerdith

Wow! Just wow…

That's peak power. It can only be sustained for a few milliseconds. RMS power is in the neighborhood of 9,000 watts, or 4500 watts per driver. Basically one beefed up Pascal module per voice coil and four voice coils total. That can only be sustained for a few seconds. These numbers are representative of the transient power that is required for movies and music. Nobody is running long-term sine waves with this much power. Given that the standard 120V 20A outlet only allows for 2400W to be drawn that wouldn't be possible anyway.

The drivers can handle that level of power though. Josh Ricci powered the Ridge Audio drivers that were the early prototypes of modern Harbottle drivers with a bridged Powersoft K20 and they took the 320v (10,000+ watts) being pumped into them like a champ and underwent no significant thermal compression. That was in the CEA testing that uses very short bursts. This shows you how linear they are. Even at such extreme drive levels they are still linear.

Attachments

• 1170 (3).png
    1170 (3).png
    424 KB · Views: 111

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t as the figure is baloney!
No, the amp can really do that power. If the woofer can take it, is another question. It answered in the rest of the data just fine though.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's peak power. It can only be sustained for a few milliseconds. RMS power is in the neighborhood of 9,000 watts, or 4500 watts per driver.
This is what is written on the page: RMS power. The sub had a single driver. Even if it’s only 9kW, we are still talking about the driver consuming 8.5kW heat. Where will that heat go? Your oven is around 2.5kW. Make a comparison…

ManufacturerFunk Audio
Enclouser TypeSealed
DriverProprietary to system
Dimensions (width, height, depth)22 in, 20.5 in, 22 in,
Total Volume5.74 ft3
Tuning FrequencyN/A
AmplifierPowersoft - Digam K10
Power (RMS)12000 W
Cost$2046
Custom DesignYes

To wrap up the round of FW18.0 testing it was evaluated and measured as a passive cabinet while powered by the bridged Powersoft K10 amplifier.

D!sco

I do not use bass management. I have a separate subwoofer for each LR speaker. This will be fed by the LFE channel only.
Why not?

tehas

@sarumbear, I'll echo @nerdoldnerdith and @ryanosaur:
Look at the data-bass measurements for the Ridge drivers, which are early Harbottle drivers, and the Funk 18.x and 21.x. Particularly the Distortion and Compression at a given output level, and compare those to pro audio drivers (Eminence NSW / B&C 21SW or ipal) or JTR products (though JTR reportedly have improved their drivers in recent years).

Cody from Harbottle has a bunch of posts explaining their methodology over at avsforums and is more than happy to talk on the phone for longer than you might expect (without trying to convince you to buy something) - I've spent over 5 hours talking to him last week alone!

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No, the amp can really do that power. If the woofer can take it, is another question. It answered in the rest of the data just fine though.
Is that an amplifier or a sub review?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They just spec what amp they used, what’s the problem with that?
Really? Using the power specs of an external amplifier for a subwoofer is normal?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? Using the power specs of an external amplifier for a subwoofer is normal?
Over there it is… You’ll get used to it… what does it matter where you put the amp, anyway?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Over there it is… You’ll get used to it…
I don’t think so. It’s not easy to fool me, nor I’m willing to be fooled.

what does it matter where you put the amp, anyway?
How did the location of the amplifier entered this conversation? We are talking about the power consumption of the driver.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How did the location of the amplifier entered this conversation?
Since you highlighted it…
We are talking about the power consumption of the driver.
It’s really simple: these guys have some fun testing stupid large sub drivers. The post pics, measurements and use whatever suitable amp they have available for the tests. That what they spec.

You can just look at the date and see how much power they actually tested with… it’s all there. Nobody is trying to fool anyone…

tehas

@sarumbear here is one example talking about compression: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/harbottle-audio.3086194/post-61878533.
There's a ton of discussion in this thread as well as others over there, but don't have all the links handy. just google "harbottle site:avsforums.com" and go thru the first few threads about harbottle group buys and owners threads.

Distortion is easier to tease out from the data-bass graphs so long as you look at a particular output level.
Here's more from harbottle's website: https://www.harbottleaudio.com/how-to-compare

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s really simple: these guys have some fun testing stupid large sub drivers.
How nice of you to think my consideration of even a larger driver sub is stupid.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sarumbear here is one example talking about compression: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/harbottle-audio.3086194/post-61878533.
There's a ton of discussion in this thread as well as others over there, but don't have all the links handy. just google "harbottle site:avsforums.com" and go thru the first few threads about harbottle group buys and owners threads.
Thank you. I will investigate.

Distortion is easier to tease out from the data-bass graphs so long as you look at a particular output level.
Here's more from harbottle's website: https://www.harbottleaudio.com/how-to-compare
I have already read everything the manufacturer said, hence my interest. I was looking for user experience, which I got one already. Hopefully with your help above I will find more.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How nice of you to think my consideration of even a larger driver sub is stupid.
Hey, I think they did a 24” driver once, that is stupid large in my book… You’re more than welcome to get one! Your 18” model is rather mundane in comparison.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
BTW, I'm starting to see why you guys were insinuating that I hadn't done my homework before I commented in this thread. You weren't wrong :D

Those Harbottle subs are indeed... interesting.

Top Bottom