• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harbottle Audio Subwoofers?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Has anyone experience with Harbottle Audio Subwoofers? On paper I am pretty impressed by them and their approach to driver design. I'm considering replacing my JBL passive sub with the following active unit from them. I run out of channels on my Amplitude 16, and instead of installing another power amplifier I thought maybe an active unit is a better option.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks impressive. 40mm one-way travel is a stupid long way for a sub! Another driver that can do this looks like that:
1672242026066.jpeg

Your find is much prettier ;)

Sadly the page detailing THD and other performance figures is a 404 at the moment.

It’s not cheap. And do you need the DSP stuff with your AVP? And obviously you need at least two ;)

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know anything about it but almost any "good" 18-inch sub should be "adequate" for any home situation. ;)

And to over-generalize a bit more... It looks like a sealed cabinet which is usually best when the cabinet is relatively-small for the cabinet size.

It's waaaaay out of my price range! ...I've always been fascinated by these but they are huge... which is actually part of the appeal to me. :D And they are also "pro", meaning they are optimized for efficiency and loudness in large spaces at the cost of loosing the deepest bass.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s not cheap. And do you need the DSP stuff with your AVP? And obviously you need at least two ;)
I do not use bass management. I have a separate subwoofer for each LR speaker. This will be fed by the LFE channel only.

3125b

Major Contributor
Looking at raw performance you could get more out of a much cheaper ported sub, the 16" Monoprice for example runs circles around this.
1672243249634.png

But if money isn't a consideration this isn't only fancy but also performant.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at raw performance you could get more out of a much cheaper ported sub, the 16" Monoprice for example runs circles around this.
Where can I see that comparable data?

3125b

Major Contributor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Those figures are at 2m distance, not sure about the Harbottle figures.
Thank you. They seems to have tested mostly on vented mode, hence not directly comparable. A port reduces distortion very much.

I am looking for a closed box design as at high SPL at low frequency ports often generate spurious sounds. I want to avoid that. Otherwise, great subs...

Last edited:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I like Cody’s approach. Just talked to him yesterday about the current group buy, in fact, and am strongly considering it.
I don’t recall where I saw a compression sweep of one of his drivers, but it was impressive: a textbook example. Might have been in one of the AVS Threads for either his Group Buy or general Harbottle Owners Thread.
Regardless, short of the guarantees he makes about his product one would be hard pressed to match the performance offerings with most other companies offerings.
If I were going to buy new Subwoofers, it would probably be the Monoliths, but look at their distortion and compression sweeps! Yes they are good, but those beasts also compress.
My current Subs, the Outlaw X-13 is also designed and built by Claridy like the Monoliths. They are impressive, but still have flaws.
The only other options end up being Pro Drivers or other specialty designers (Funk, Perlisten). No Pro Subwoofer is really going to be clean when pushed to its maximum limits below Fs, which is to say “I’ll see it when I believe it.” (And I have yet to see any meaningful data posted about PSA Subs or what guys like GSG are doing. Meaningful isn’t an FR or CEA-2010 Burst Test: meaningful is Long Term Compression Sweeps and Distortion Plots.)

@sarumbear , I think it is a worthy pursuit.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

staticV3

Master Contributor
@sweetchaos 's massive subwoofer comparison sheet should be mentioned as well:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I’m afraid I cannot see any distortion nor compression values on the page you posted. Am I missing something?
CEA-2010 is a distortion spec. What you see is max SPL at a given frequency before the distortion threshold is exceeded.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@sweetchaos 's massive subwoofer comparison sheet should be mentioned as well:
I can’t see distortion nor compression figures on that document either. Am I missing something?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m afraid I cannot see any distortion nor compression values on the page you posted. Am I missing something?
You’ll need to go into every system to see those, but it’s all there.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
CEA-2010 is a distortion spec. What you see is max SPL at a given frequency before the distortion threshold is exceeded.
But where are the subwoofers I’m interested and suggested as an alternative?

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where can I access the CEA-2010 standard document?

Top Bottom