• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Happy Lunar New Year!

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To all virtual friends, today is the Lunar New Year, so from sunny Singapore please let me say Xīnnián hǎo!! or Gong hei fat choy!!
(I speak neither Mandarin nor Cantonese but hopefully the above covers both cases).

This is our first New Year in Singapore, and being largely a Chinese city it is pretty much the equivalent of Christmas back in England. Lot's of Chinese treats (though I really don't get the obsession with abalone), just like the Western world it is very easy to seriously over indulge in calories and lots of unhealthiness. Eat, drink and be merry!! :D:D

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And Happy Lunar New Year to you too!

Not just during the holidays, good luck trying to fight the calories when food is typically within walking distance. Speaking from experience as a local. ;)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Same to you! Enjoy the festivities!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My special for the day is braised lotus root. Apparently there's a pun in Cantonese where the name for it, Leen Ngao, can also translate as "Have Another Year."

JSmith

Master Contributor
Chinese-New-Year-2022-Gif-Images-6.gif

JSmith

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To all virtual friends, today is the Lunar New Year, so from sunny Singapore please let me say Xīnnián hǎo!! or Gong hei fat choy!!
(I speak neither Mandarin nor Cantonese but hopefully the above covers both cases).

This is our first New Year in Singapore, and being largely a Chinese city it is pretty much the equivalent of Christmas back in England. Lot's of Chinese treats (though I really don't get the obsession with abalone), just like the Western world it is very easy to seriously over indulge in calories and lots of unhealthiness. Eat, drink and be merry!! :D:D

And Happy Lunar New Year to you too!

Not just during the holidays, good luck trying to fight the calories when food is typically within walking distance. Speaking from experience as a local. ;)

Have a good one fellow Singapore ASRers. Truly one of the best food scenes in the world behind perhaps only to Tokyo. Took time off after the new year for time together with the SO to relax and eat our way around.

Btw, most places mess up abalone. It's even more prone to overcooking than scallop and overcooked abalone is like briney shellfish jerky TBH.

JP

Major Contributor
I'm making/serving Hong Dou Tang today. This is a really fun week to be a cook. :cool:
One of the few things my owner will cook.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I fear I have over indulged in lapis cake, pineapple tarts (nasta) and cookies, oh dear ..... Being married to an expert Chinese baker has certain benefits

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nastar will be my special on Friday.

These are best made with fresh, citrusy pineapple jam and a shortbread-y crust that crumbles but holds its shape well. Have eaten too many of these with sugary canned pineapple jam that have lost a lot of the fresh citrusy notes, or have way too wet/underbrowned/buttery/powdery/disintegrating crusts.

JP

Major Contributor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
These are best made with fresh, citrusy pineapple jam and a shortbread-y crust that crumbles but holds its shape well. Have eaten too many of these with sugary canned pineapple jam that have lost a lot of the fresh citrusy notes, or have way too wet/underbrowned/buttery/powdery/disintegrating crusts.
We make our own pineapple jam for this. The store-bought stuff is too sweet and, as you say, sacrifices any complexity in flavor.

OP
J

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think you have to make your own jam if you want good results.

Top Bottom