• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hans is at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The only thing I found interesting was the Nakamichi T100.
Brought back memories...

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there were some way to watch it without adding to his view count, I'd check it out for curiosity's sake.

how much of a video do you have to watch for the view count to increment?

also, does the view count increment only if you watch the end? or??

sjeesjie

Ohhh Hans that old geezer. I once asked him too many critical questions about the rasberry pi. It made him cry I think. Or shakey at least.

Katji

Major Contributor
how much of a video do you have to watch for the view count to increment?

also, does the view count increment only if you watch the end? or??
That comment got me wondering too. It also depends on whether you're considering the overall/total data or the individual data. We could test it...I'll think we'd find that it does not have to complete/finish, to the end. - I mean it shows a "Watched" indicator somewhere.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That comment got me wondering too. It also depends on whether you're considering the overall/total data or the individual data. We could test it...I'll think we'd find that it does not have to complete/finish, to the end. - I mean it shows a "Watched" indicator somewhere.

When I want to watch a YT video later, I play the first 10-12 seconds of it and then stop it. That always puts it in my YT History.

I don't know the exact point at which a video registers in one's YT History, but in my experience it's sometime after 1-2 seconds and sometime before 10-11 seconds. I would assume if it counts as watched for purposes of one's History, it also counts as a view for purposes of the view count for the video's creator.

Katji

Major Contributor
I wonder whether watching it in the embedded player [like here on the forum] has any effect on total number of views. ................[?]
I know it has no effect on actual user-id data, user history, because not logged in...because if I click on anything that opens the YT page, I see the loading and the browser-automated log in.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder whether watching it in the embedded player [like here on the forum] has any effect on total number of views. ................[?]
I know it has no effect on actual user-id data, user history, because not logged in...because if I click on anything that opens the YT page, I see the loading and the browser-automated log in.

The embedded-view question is an interesting one. I would guess YT tracks views from embedded videos as well - however, content creators have the ability to prevent embedded views (the video link and preview gets embedded but you can't actually watch it in the embedded location). I would imagine the only reason YT provides that option to creators is that YT might not actually be able to track embedded views if the user's browser is set not to allow the setting of cookies from 3rd party sites.

Just conjecture, though - someone would need to investigate properly.

Katji

Major Contributor
.....It might, it could, because each time the forum page is loaded, there is a request to Youtube, and every Play is a request for the video stream. Definitely logged, although probably not reflected in analytics/whatever shown to pro/creator users. Or in the total views shown generally.

PS: I hadn't thought of the cookies.

Freeway

Do you believe in magic lovin' spoonfed*?
"They have come up with a passive filtering system that magically takes away all, or at least most, of the digital noise that comes through the ethernet and into your streamer." the-ear.net

* provide (someone) with so much help or information that they do not need to think for themselves. Oxford Languages Dictionary

Katji

Major Contributor
:D "the digital noise that comes through the ethernet and into your streamer." :D ...Actually it's his stream that needs a filter.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One admittedly cumbersome way to watch a YT video without adding to the watch count is to paste the URL into one of those YT download web sites, download the video, and watch it that way.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wait, what?
There are "YT download web sites" ?!
Are they legitimate?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does watching a YT video via the YT smart TV streaming app add to the watch count?

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
Wait, what?
There are "YT download web sites" ?!
Are they legitimate?
Well, you can save any stream anyway. ....But there are browser add-ons...some focussed on YT, others do most video sites.

Katji

Major Contributor
VLC - or whatever video stream player - and the smart tv and tv box apps, the stream request count will be incremented...I dunno about Views count, maybe, it depends how they define Views.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
FYI this is the source stats for one of my videos:

1620850179043.png

Seems like vast majority of people find the video while they are in youtube, not from external sources.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Has anyone viewed something with so few views that you saw yours register? I managed to find a live concert with 5 and upped it to 6. ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom