• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hans is at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I watched the video. Company says it reduces noise. He claims it reduces jitter in a DAC. He has gear right behind him that can measure both. But he refuses to use them beyond decoration. It is remarkable to me that his viewers tolerate this level of putting one's head in the sand...
Whats really remarkable is you try and help them by showing the basics of electronic and audio engineering but get not only no thanks but a bunch of abuse ..

Ha ha humans!

ta240

Major Contributor
YT is not curated in anyway, so bullshit lives cheek by jowl with useful factually correct information. Balance, wouldn't you know.

The algorithm curates it so the bullshit gets elevated because it keeps eyes on the screen.

People were doing quite well at being idiots before the internet,....

But they didn't have such a huge group of likeminded people to interact with and reinforce their beliefs. I liked the comedian that said "who's idea was it to take the idiots in the world and connected them with all the other idiots?"
You might have a circle of friends that were into the same thing and shared much of the same beliefs but even then there would likely be someone with a dissenting opinion. The internet helps filter that person out.

Youtube is wonderful tool. Like all tools it's effectiveness is determined by the user.

Youtube is the toolbox and it keeps saying "Hammer, you need a hammer for that job, here's a hammer, have another hammer..."

.....Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't YT effectively amplifying the videos with more shock value (i.e. more extreme / polarized reactions), then feeding ppl one such video after another since they are 'trending'? Wouldn't the science-based counter information always stand at disadvantage in an environment like this?

It doesn't have to be shock value, but just videos that are inline with whatever people have watched all the way through. Videos that agree with and amplify their current thinking/beliefs tend to keep them watching. Other point of views don't get shown because they might stop watching.

I didn't realize he filtered the comments. It's naive these days's, people will just comment elsewhere where you even have less control. Like we see happening here...

some will find these comments but enough others will see his glowing review and skim the comments to see more positive things said and think it is a good product. And youtube will show them lots of other videos with a similar products and opinions and many viewers will be convinced that they work and he's a knowledgeable reviewer.

Whats really remarkable is you try and help them by showing the basics of electronic and audio engineering but get not only no thanks but a bunch of abuse ..

Ha ha humans!

So few people get their thinking challenged anymore so when someone does that they react with anger. Discussion is dead and that is why, as a people, we are segregating ourselves into online groups that agree with us.
Who knew that having instant access to all the information in the world would lead to a modern dark ages.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So ASR are some bitches picking on the better looking girl who enjoys a independent sensibility.

Nice to know how some of you identity yourself lol

Never really considerate Hans to be particularly attractive but hey, you do you. To each their own.

Also, my image was meant to light heartedly confront the TS with his playground gossip, not to take pride in the bullying between one forum and another myself.

audio2design

Major Contributor
I watched the video. Company says it reduces noise. He claims it reduces jitter in a DAC. He has gear right behind him that can measure both. But he refuses to use them beyond decoration. It is remarkable to me that his viewers tolerate this level of putting one's head in the sand...

These days I would find it more remarkable if his viewers cared. Almost every claim made for cables could be easily verified. It never is, and the customers never ask. Ditto so much else. People want their sugar pills.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Wow, I can almost see the spit coming out of his mouth at 3:13 .... he is getting really angry. That is what I find most "my ears" types do when presented with facts they cannot respond to, and the lack of actually using just their ears. I have noticed the equipment is normally off ....

Jitter was not measurable at that time? You mean what 1980? ... 75? Just how old is Hans? I am not a spring chicken and jitter has always been a discussion point. When was it not?

1620702675253.png

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there were some way to watch it without adding to his view count, I'd check it out for curiosity's sake.

I watched it, here's a summary

wrong
wrong
analogue is the best
wrong
wrong
appeal to authority
wrong
I'm a trained listener and you're not
wrong
speculation
speculation

This week's Most Ludicrous Assertion: That he could hear the detrimental effects of jitter before there was a way to measure it. Yes, he really does say that, I had to wind it back just to be sure I wasn't hallucinating the first time.

I think that trumps his previous high point (for me anyway) when he claimed that a lack of bass can be due to jitter.

simbloke

Forum Donor
Wow, I can almost see the spit coming out of his mouth at 3:13 .... he is getting really angry. That is what I find most "my ears" types do when presented with facts they cannot respond to, and the lack of actually using just their ears. I have noticed the equipment is normally off ....

Jitter was not measurable at that time? You mean what 1980? ... 75? Just how old is Hans? I am not a spring chicken and jitter has always been a discussion point. When was it not?

View attachment 129109
Owon. Ok if it had been R&S or Keysight he wasn't using then I would have been angry ;-)

simbloke

Forum Donor
Thing is, what can he do? Amir has shown how to do it properly and it requires serious knowledge, experience, and money. But there's no way the usual oh so polished YouTube reviewers can do the same, so they have to just keep preaching to the converted and censoring their comments.

[edit typo]

audio2design

Major Contributor
Owon. Ok if it had been R&S or Keysight he wasn't using then I would have been angry ;-)

I didn't want to stoop so low to mention the OWON scope :) ... well I did, but I was just too lazy ;-) At least he upgraded his scope for looks from an ancient Tek? to a modern Owon ...

1620740051486.png

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
YouTube also hosts some excellent channels with very good information.

That is the problem, people looking for buying advice about hifi have a huge number of places they can go on Youtube to be totally and comprehensively misinformed and very few where they won't be and no way of knowing which is which.

One way people can help is to share videos of those they trust (Amir's, mine (shameless plug: link in my signature), etc). Share them here, with friends via social or text and share on other forums. Help spread the word of the "good guys" who are spending countless hours providing actual science and data.

Heck, "watch them" even if you don't watch them. Click on them, let them play. I do this for my brother-in-law who makes content about Star Wars... I care nothing for the content itself but I want to support him so I share and watch the videos. And he knows I don't actually watch them.

Even if you play the video but don't pay attention to it because it's not something that interests you, it is still better than doing nothing. And it is certainly better than supporting guys who have questionable content by making threads and posts about it. I realize I may sound bitter in that sentence and I'm not. I'm just speaking facts. Clicks help them and helps YouTube promote them.

That's just my $0.02.

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
I just realized that one of his pieces of test equipment is an electronic load. No really. Those things are useless for audio except measuring a power supply. But its there, jewellery for his videos.

1620744429586.png

Last edited:

Katji

Major Contributor
And it is certainly better than supporting guys who have questionable content by making threads and posts about it. [...] Clicks help them and helps YouTube promote them.
Just stop it.

Like we need more evidence, of audiophile/phool foolishness and illusion. We don't need to shake our heads and be amazed at it every day, all the time.
One of the reasons we're here - some of us - is because we're sick and tired of it, we've seen enough of it already. [.....I feel like a refugee.]

One way people can help is to share videos of those they trust (Amir's, mine (shameless plug: link in my signature), etc). Share them here, with friends via social or text and share on other forums. Help spread the word of the "good guys" who are spending countless hours providing actual science and data.
I suppose subscriptions help - I'll go check now whether I subscribed to yours. And then gradually wipe out all the others - the audiophiles, the reviewers - that Youtube suggests, with the "Not interested" thing. .....

audio2design

Major Contributor
Well I do my part by going onto subjective websites. Remember there are more readers than posters. You don't reach the old timers totally set in their ways, but the newbies, and those browsing will often detect BS, especially if it is pointed out. Difference between most of us and the "my ears" crowd, is we can speak their language, but they can't speak ours. We totally get the subjective nature of preference, but they don't get the nuances of the technology or often the most basic understandings of how things work.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't watched the video, nor will I, but my totally prejudiced view is that there's precious little of value on Youtube,

You mean audio-wise only, I presume?

Because I've watched many Youtube videos of value about other topics (woodworking, engine repair, fine art restoration, tool restoration, bass playing...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom