• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Hands On" with the Klippel Nearfield Scanner

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
The folks at Klippel contacted me about a week ago to ask if they could use some of my past videos to promote their product on their site and on LinkedIn. I obliged, of course (I mean, duh...). It reminded me, too, that I had been meaning to create a video showing how I use the Klippel. I told them I would create the video and send them the link once I did. I've gotten a lot of questions and seen a lot of wrong assumptions about what the NFS is so I created this video - a virtual "hands on", if you will - to help people get a more tangible feel for what the NFS is and how it is set up. So, here you go.

Keep in mind this isn't intended to explain the math behind the NFS. Rather, just to provide a (basic) idea of the setup and process for how I conduct measurements. Therefore, if you have any questions about how the NFS works, I suggest watching the below video chat I had with Christian Bellmann - one of the engineers behind the NFS.

Or, read this thread where there is discussion on the math behind it.

Last edited:

JonathanB

This was a great, informative video, and a more natural presentation from yourself.
It does make me wonder if the acoustic source is something that should be specifically identified by manufacturers on their speakes, so that measurements can be standardised among reviewers (or listeners).

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
This was a great, informative video, and a more natural presentation from yourself.
It does make me wonder if the acoustic source is something that should be specifically identified by manufacturers on their speakes, so that measurements can be standardised among reviewers (or listeners).

Thanks.

Yes, ideally the manufacturer knows the acoustic center and can tell you. But sometimes I have to guess and then measure, then look at the results and adjust if I find it is different than my (or the manufacturer's) assumption.

DinoA

Very informative video Erin! Great to see the “nuts and bolts” process involved in using the Klippel. Keep up the great work!

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

Yes, ideally the manufacturer knows the acoustic center and can tell you. But sometimes I have to guess and then measure, then look at the results and adjust if I find it is different than my (or the manufacturer's) assumption.
I always wonder why some specify midpoint between woofer and tweeter yet the tweeter itself turns out to be the best measured axis (talking traditional 2-way without large waveguide).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Erin, are you taking unpaid interns to help you edit videos?

I would love to EQ your voice so we won't have to listen to the room as well :p.

Feel free to ignore this if you're not interested.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Erin, are you taking unpaid interns to help you edit videos?

I would love to EQ your voice so we won't have to listen to the room as well :p.

Feel free to ignore this if you're not interested.

Can't do much about it in the garage. You're already hearing the noise gate applied in post. ;)

BUT, you are more than welcome to come over and move speakers around for me, unbox, box and pack them up for shipping, move them out to my driveway for ground plane testing, unravel cables, run my matlab scripts, load the data to my website, move the camera and lights around, charge batteries... and anything else I'm leaving out. :D

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't do much about it in the garage. You're already hearing the noise gate applied in post. ;)

I'm talking about a 'little bit extra' editing so you would sound as clear as you can in whatever environment you're in.

For example this is a spectrum plot of my voice in my living room, with some tips ;)

1624377662593.png

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Gotcha. Yea, I appreciate the feedback but I'm OK with it. I don't see the need to pull it to edit the vocal and re-upload it. I never record in the garage anyway so this is more of a one-off. But I'll keep it in mind in the future if I do.

kyle_neuron

Gotcha. Yea, I appreciate the feedback but I'm OK with it. I don't see the need to pull it to edit the vocal and re-upload it. I never record in the garage anyway so this is more of a one-off. But I'll keep it in mind in the future if I do.

Firstly thanks for the videos. I’ve been considering the Klippel NFS myself for some time (partly for business, partly because LOOK AT IT) and these are very useful.

Secondly, if you have a recent Nvidia graphics card then check out their Broadcast app. You can make it work on old ones too. The ‘AI’ based echo cancellation is surprisingly good for video recording, and it runs in real time with no post-production required. It manages to silence my dog!

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Firstly thanks for the videos. I’ve been considering the Klippel NFS myself for some time (partly for business, partly because LOOK AT IT)
Are you a speaker designer?

kyle_neuron

Are you a speaker designer?

While the desire for one extends a little beyond that purpose, I have done work of that sort previously, yes. It is also something I’d like to dabble in more.

I wouldn’t remotely claim to be near the level of many other people who have been gracious enough to listen to my questions or put me on the right path (when otherwise very, very far off) but I’m also aware of a slight gap in access to such data amidst a certain sector of audio product development.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@hardisj and @amirm - you ought to partner with you local University. You'd get free labour to help you measure and the kids would get a hella education and experience. Fantastic expaliner BTW, Erin. Enjoyed it very much.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@hardisj and @amirm - you ought to partner with you local University. You'd get free labour to help you measure and the kids would get a hella education and experience. Fantastic expaliner BTW, Erin. Enjoyed it very much.
There are many issues with that though.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
@hardisj and @amirm - you ought to partner with you local University. You'd get free labour to help you measure and the kids would get a hella education and experience.

I think you mentioned this once before but there are no universities with acoustics anywhere near me. Even if there were, you have to remember: I am 38 and working full-time with a family. Even if I had an acoustics based school nearby, I wouldn’t have the time to babysit interns. I’ve done that enough in my real job. ;)

Fantastic expaliner BTW, Erin. Enjoyed it very much.

thanks. :)

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It was a thought. Such instrumentation and a skilled operator seemed like an opportunity to elevate some youth. But, I completely agree that it would be a PITA. Still, perhaps a young Padawan will one day knock on your door :)... Hope you'll answer.

Top Bottom