• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hana SL cartridge loading

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Guys

I wonder if you could help please. I have a Hana SL, the suggested load impedance is >400 ohms. I have it feeding into a Trichord Dino phono stage where the options are 100ohms or 1000ohms.

My question is ‘Can I add resistors to the incoming phono interconnects to bring the impedance to the recommended value? I realise that in one instance they will be in series and the other in parallel. I have it set at the moment to the 1000 setting but that seems a long way from the 400.
I don’t really want to open up the the trichord.

Many thanks
William

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, Pegwell. I asked a similar question under the post “First MC Cartridge” last August. I was dissuaded by my phono preamp’s manufacturer, Ron Sutherland, from adding resistors for this cartridge. I’m using my Hana SL tonight at 1000 ohms with no regrets and lots of smiles.

To summarize the thread and my recent experience, think of 400 ohms as a recommended, but not iron-clad, minimum and 1000 ohms as a perfectly acceptable alternative.

OP
P

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi
Many thanks for the reply, like all things I just wondered if it could be better. I like the way it sounds at 1k and will no doubt leave it at that.

Regards

William

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi...my 1st post here! Going to pull the trigger on the Hana SL using my Sphinx V3 phono pre. Doesn't have 400 or 500, only 300 and 1k as well in that range. Spoke with the designer Mark O'Brien...he said use my ears for the best sound, something will work! Hope this is true. Upgrading from the Quintet Red. Cheers.
The Hana SL has been a great cartridge for me and a sublime match for my turntable. Either 300 or 1000 ohms will work with it; I think you'll be very pleased if it matches your tonearm mass. I have no plans to replace mine except for with another SL once the stylus wears out.

Top Bottom