• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Half of my Audioquest RCA interconnects failed

JSmith

Master Contributor
But I don't pull on the wire, always on the connectors themselves, when disconnecting.
Yes I think this can be an issue with unnecessarily thick cables, as regular plugging/unplugging and twisting can damage shielding, much moreso than more flexible and standard thickness cables.
People who are ripoffs really shouldn't be encouraged.
Agree.

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we understand each other. No further questions.
No need for questions at all. You have the weakest defense of fraudioquest I've ever seen....work at best buy or something?

JSmith

Master Contributor
16905659.jpg

Get your dark matter HDMI cable now;

audioquest-audioquest-diamond-1m-3-2-feet-braided-hdmi-cable-55-15360125.png

... sale ends soon!

JSmith

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why fraudioquest gets significant "respect" has always baffled me....such bullshit!

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I have one Evergreen cable and one other blue/black jacketed pair, both of which I got at a steep discount/used. They sound OK but the RCAs are very, very tight and do require a lot of care when removing so as not to damage either your equipment or the cable itself. I would not buy any more AQ cables mostly because of the plugs, but also because of their Snake Oil stuff. For people who don't move their stuff around a lot but leave it be in a configuration, I suppose tight RCAs would be a plus.

MalinYamato

16905659.jpg

Get your dark matter HDMI cable now;

audioquest-audioquest-diamond-1m-3-2-feet-braided-hdmi-cable-55-15360125.png

... sale ends soon!

JSmith
LOOOL...
some of the questions are surely Troll questions to ridicule the seller and the answers are beyond Snake Oil answers.
I really like the last answer, that it may transmit 0s and 1s and also 2s, not knowing that there are no 2s in digital transmission.
WTF is dark matter and how is it possible that dark matter may be faster than itself?

Last edited:

mansr

Major Contributor
LOOOL...
some of the questions are surely Troll questions to ridicule the seller and the answers are beyond Snake Oil answers.
I really like the last answer, that it may transmit 0s and 1s and also 2s, not knowing that there are no 2s in digital transmission.
WTF is dark matter and how is it possible that dark matter may be faster than itself?
Amazon is full of sarcastic cable reviews. Here's one of the best, also of an Audioquest product:
I have only a little time...

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

PLEASE! You must listen! We cannot maintain the link for long... I will type as fast as I can.

DO NOT USE THE CABLES!

We were fools, fools to develop such a thing! Sound was never meant to be this clear, this pure, this... accurate. For a few short days, we marveled. Then the... whispers... began.

Were they Aramaic? Hyperborean? Some even more ancient tongue, first spoken by elder races under the red light of dying suns far from here? We do not know, but somehow, slowly... we began to UNDERSTAND.

No, no, please! I don't want to remember! YOU WILL NOT MAKE ME REMEMBER! I saw brave men claw their own eyes out... oh, god, the screaming... the mobs of feral children feasting on corpses, the shadows MOVING, the fires burning in the air! The CHANTING!

WHY CAN'T I FORGET THE WORDS???

We live underground. We speak with our hands. We wear the earplugs all our lives.

Do not use the cables!

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
It hasn't been my experience. What I like is the tightness of the fit, small size and flexibility. I also like two channels in a single wire - makes routing behind the stereo easier and neater.

I also like BJ cables - very well made and very low capacitance. But they are thick, inflexible and have very long connectors.
Yea, and one of the companies run by actual engineers. If you need very long cables and are pushing the limits if the spec, well worth talking to them. I had a super long s-video from them that worked. Their HDMI cable I had did not have the HP problem some others did. But neither does the CableMart HDMI cables for about half the price. ( Less than an empty box from the SO brands) If normal lengths, then BJ is a bit pricy compared to other correctly made cables. At least with them, you are paying for correctly designed and made cables, not payoffs to stores and magazine writers. Trustworthy is worth something in my book. Most are made in the US, but due to how difficult terminating HDMI is, some are sent to China for assembly. Stupid stupid design we have to put up with. Designing for automated mass termination is not that hard. Want a lesson on connectors? Look at the RJ series. BJ RCA's are a bit stiff as being real engineers, they know a plain old 75 to 100 Ohm solid core coax with full shield under braid is the best performance. Unfortunately a little stiff. When I needed flexibility I just used some mic cable, as it is soft rubber and multiple braids designed to be flexible. Not fond of over-size connectors but marketing probably demands it. I have been looking for some 90 or 45's but only find adapters. Radio Shack used to have them.

Mike G

AQ is decent gauge solid core.

Blue Jeans Cables, which are great, also use cold welding. Never had their cables fail either. Just bought some speaker cables from them.
I have 3 pairs of AQ Mackenzie and 1 Carbon digital,no problem. Also Canare 4s11 biwire and LS1 IC's from Blue Jeans Cable,no problem. I like the BJC products a lot. Quality materials and terminations.

Sound_freq

I too have a pair of Audioquest Evergreen RCA's that I bought new in the box at a discount, but immediately had a short that developed and caused audio to cut in and out. I recently found a youtube video of a guy that dissected 4 pairs of Audioquest RCA Cables at different price points between $50 - $200 for 1M, Evergreen, Golden Gate, Big Sur and Sydney. It shows that all of them have virtually the same 24 and 26 gauge copper conductors internally, a little more shielding and insulation on the most expensive model, that's it.

Top Bottom