• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Half of my Audioquest RCA interconnects failed

mansr

Major Contributor
I disagree. Current crop fits VERY tight, so once put on they are not going anywhere. For a system with MANY sources and wires against the wall this is a good thing.
It's the only kind I've had break while sitting unused in a box. If you crack open the plastic shell, what you find is some of the flimsiest crap around. The cheapest no-name plugs from Farnell etc are much better made.

JaccoW

Far too many folk yank on (grab) the wire instead of grabbing the plug and the wire connection inside the connector(s) breaks.
I tried unplugging my Audioquest RCA cables today but they were in a tight spot and really stuck. Their smooth connector didn't help either. Pulling the cable did the trick but it's definitely not my first choice.

It was from their modern Golden Gate line of cables and bought less than half a year ago. Very tight fit.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's the only kind I've had break while sitting unused in a box. If you crack open the plastic shell, what you find is some of the flimsiest crap around. The cheapest no-name plugs from Farnell etc are much better made.
It hasn't been my experience. What I like is the tightness of the fit, small size and flexibility. I also like two channels in a single wire - makes routing behind the stereo easier and neater.

I also like BJ cables - very well made and very low capacitance. But they are thick, inflexible and have very long connectors.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
I tried unplugging my Audioquest RCA cables today but they were in a tight spot and really stuck. Their smooth connector didn't help either. Pulling the cable did the trick but it's definitely not my first choice.

It was from their modern Golden Gate line of cables and bought less than half a year ago. Very tight fit.
For me, it's both a feature and a bug. Having clean hands and pulling on the barrel, while gently rocking sideways is usually best.

OK, that last sentence sounds kind of odd...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't imagine wanting over-tight rca grip. Useless....and annoying. Let alone supporting fraudioquest....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My next amps will use XLR inputs, my pre/pro already has them for output.
My feeling is that all cables should be of a locking design.
The PC industry originally had it right but in later years cheaped out with crap that can fall out too :mad:

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Can't imagine wanting over-tight rca grip. Useless....and annoying. Let alone supporting fraudioquest....
I have about 6 inches of space between the back of the racks and the wall. As I connect a new source, I have to thread an IC through a maze of others. The fact that AQ ICs come in a single wire configuration and that the plugs will NOT disengage once connected is a plus for me.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have about 6 inches of space between the back of the racks and the wall. As I connect a new source, I have to thread an IC through a maze of others. The fact that AQ ICs come in a single wire configuration and that the plugs will NOT disengage once connected is a plus for me.

Single wire configuration? I've never had an rca self disengage either. No excuse for fraudioquest purchasing/use.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My only worry is that on many pieces of gear the RCA socket is mounted to a pc board and damage can occur without a lot of effert going in or out.

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Single wire configuration? I've never had an rca self disengage either. No excuse for fraudioquest purchasing/use.
Excuse me, but I do not need your approval for anything I buy. And loose fitting RCAs do disengage. All you need is a little pull from the new wire being installed into the existing rats nest - and I love rats - they make great pets.

Last edited:

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
My only worry is that on many pieces of gear the RCA socket is mounted to a pc board and damage can occur without a lot of effert going in or out.
Very correct and smart observation. AQ interconnects aren't a good choice in that case. Most of my equipment has chassis mounted jacks, which are much safer.

BJ cables are an excellent choice for PWB mounted jacks. They are lightly snug but don't bind.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Yeah but AQ are still overpriced rubbish... their HDMI cables massage the 1's and 0's to make 2's. :cool:

JSmith

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Yeah but AQ are still overpriced rubbish... their HDMI cables massage the 1's and 0's to make 2's. :cool:

JSmith
I am sure their high priced models are overpriced. I don't buy them. But low priced ones are a good value at $30.

There are many high quality cables at this price, so no lack of choice for us.

I bought some cheaper AQ XLR cables from a well-heeled audiophile who just purchased their "Earth" or "Water" models. When I asked him if 10X the price was worth it he said "not really."

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
But low priced ones are a good value at $30.
Sure, if they don't fail like these interconnect's did;

JSmith

DimitryZ

Forum Donor
Sure, if they don't fail like these interconnect's did;

JSmith
My stash of current generation and a few examples of the previous generation have not. But I don't pull on the wire, always on the connectors themselves, when disconnecting.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Excuse me, but I do not need your approval for anything I buy. And loose fitting RCAs do disengage. All you need is a little pull from the new wire being installed into the existing rats nest - and I love rats - they make great pets.

LOL who said you did? What loose fitting rcas? Fraudioquest is crap!

jsrtheta

I had some RCA interconnects years ago that had threaded barrels on the plugs, which you could tighten, to ensure they couldn't be easily disconnected, and loosen, to remove them safely without pulling the RCA jacks clear out of the component. Which can happen with cheap, lower-quality amps, preamps, etc.

Forget who made them, but they were really good.

I refuse to buy Audioquest because they are a company who encouraged magical thinking and bankruptcy in audio, and still do. Same reason I never buy Monster. People who are ripoffs really shouldn't be encouraged.

Top Bottom