• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Had more bass with 2.0 than with 5.0.2 after AVR and Audyssey. How to fix?

Newman

Major Contributor
Pay the chicken feed for the app and then really get what you want from your setup.

OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks but I have already gotten it to a very good level for me. I am very happy with how it sounds now. I just started up one of my shows and the beginning bass was so loud now that I decided to stop it to watch it tomorrow during the day when I can let it open up a bit more. Changing the speakers to large and moving the L and R closer to the wall fixed it for me.

Newman

Major Contributor
OK cool. I was just responding to your use of the words "decent enough".

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. If that means did I hook the cords up right, yes I did. The original tones test in denon worked. I just need to know how to add more bass without a sub. The amp I had before the avr had a bass mode and that sounded good.

I have it set to no sub, front L and R large/full range everything else small. I have Dynamic Volume on. I just tried the audyssey bypass LR setting and it seems to be helping. I also adjusted each speaker level: +2db front L and R, +4db surrounds, +4db atmos. I have dialogue enhancer on high. The B1+ L and R are 48hz+ but are set to full range. Movies mostly no music if that helps.
No real point to setting speakers to small without a sub. You just lose the info. Get a sub would be my primary advice.

Trell

Major Contributor
I have Dynamic Volume on.

No wonder you think bass is lacking; Turn it off.

Also, enable Dynamic EQ that will increase bass at lower volume levels. You can then adjust Reference Level Offset to lower value if you find that DynEQ increases the bass too much, and that depends on content as well.

It could also be that you earlier got used boomy bass caused by a room mode, so knocking them down will have an effect.

OP
T

theonline3333

No real point to setting speakers to small without a sub. You just lose the info. Get a sub would be my primary advice.
Thanks. I am very happy with it now. No need for a sub.

No wonder you think bass is lacking; Turn it off.

Also, enable Dynamic EQ that will increase bass at lower volume levels. You can then adjust Reference Level Offset to lower value if you find that DynEQ increases the bass too much, and that depends on content as well.

It could also be that you earlier got used boomy bass caused by a room mode, so knocking them down will have an effect.
Thanks. I was thinking of dynamic eq when I said that. The dynamic volume setting is off. I have offset at 0 and it does not go lower. I am very happy with everything now.

Trell

Major Contributor
Getting a good subwoofer would be great for him, I believe.

If he had capable mains he should set the surrounds and center to small, but that is not what he has, so not a good idea as you wrote.

His Denon AVR have Audyssey Mult EQ that very unfortunately does very little in the bass where it’s needed the most. Good for setting levels and distance though.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Thanks. I am very happy with it now. No need for a sub.

Thanks. I was thinking of dynamic eq when I said that. The dynamic volume setting is off. I have offset at 0 and it does not go lower. I am very happy with everything now.

If you are happy that is all that counts!

OP
T

theonline3333

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and advice. Yes I have it set up like I want it now and it has an added bonus of letting me play it at a satisfying level without having to worry about lower bass frequencies traveling through my walls and floors to annoy neighbors. When I add the bass shaker I plan to have them all set small and crossover L R and surrounds at 40hz(no 50 setting and that is the lower limit of my speakers) and center and atmos at 80 then have the shaker do up to 40 and hopefully that adds a nice added effect to it.

Top Bottom