• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X26Pro Review (Balanced High-end DAC)

Gerry E.

Why bother about using the I2S connection at all then?
While supposedly HDMI has no technical advantage, I would still like to hear it for myself. In addition, it would be nice knowing that all of my digital inputs to the X26 Pro are working. If it's just a matter of getting a custom HDMI cable made up, that shouldn't be too difficult. I have the pin configurations for the X26 HDMI input, so I will look into it.

Gerry

Rover

Hi!The old GUSTARD DAC-X26 was very hot 50 degrees Celsius that .
And how are things with the heating of the case of the new GUSTARD DAC-X26 PRO?Just as much?

godmax

Hi!The old GUSTARD DAC-X26 was very hot 50 degrees Celsius that .
And how are things with the heating of the case of the new GUSTARD DAC-X26 PRO?Just as much?
Yes, also gets hot over time. Even added a fan to the side to keep temperatures lukewarm.

Vaqar Ahmed

This has nothing to do with JVC K2, the function is completely different. There are many things in the same model in the world, but it does not mean that they are all related. South Korea has a car called K2, which does not mean that Gustard has a relationship with Kia Motors.
I think the question was valid and a simple reply that "no it is not the K2 technology" would have sufficed.

gustard

Audio Company
There is an open-source util named "xmosdfu" for operating systems like Linux and OSX. It is a command line util and you have to compile it in order to use it as an executable application.

This is the link of the actual source code (xmosdfu.cpp).
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/i...udio/module_dfu/host/xmos_dfu_osx/xmosdfu.cpp

This is the manual document of the application from official XMOS site:
https://www.xmos.ai/download/DFU-loader-for-XMOS-USB-Audio-devices(4).pdf

I modified the source code in order to make it work with X26 Pro by adding the line below (X26 Pro's Product ID):
#define XMOS_L1_AUDIO2_PID 0x3033

Then I compiled as a static executable which is going to be compatible with all modern Linux devices.
I'm attaching only the modified source code because I'm not sure that forum rules allow posting an executable application here.

I only tested it by getting actual firmware from the device. This procedure called as "Uploading existing firmware from the device" in the document above. So don't confuse it with "Downloading" which is used for flashing a new firmware.

I didn't test it for flashing new firmware because there is no reason forthat at this moment.

Here is an example session for getting (uploading) current firmware from the device:

First we are extracting (like unzip) the package then follows:
Code:
tar zxvf xmosdfu.tar.gz
Now, plug the device then acquire the current firmware from device to the current folder as "x26pro-current-firmware.bin".
Code:
sudo ./xmosdfu --upload x26pro-current-firmware.bin

VID = 0x1ea7, PID = 0x64
VID = 0x1d6b, PID = 0x3
VID = 0x1d6b, PID = 0x3
VID = 0x20b1, PID = 0x3033
XMOS DFU application started - Interface 2 claimed
Detaching device from application mode.
Waiting for device to restart and enter DFU mode...
... DFU firmware upgrade device opened
... Uploading image (x26pro-current-firmware.bin) from device
... Returning device to application mode

If we are going to flash new firmware, command line would be as follows (in case of file name is "new-firmware.bin", so change it accordingly). This procedure is not tested by me yet.
Code:
sudo ./xmosdfu --download new-firmware.bin

I added the compile (build) options at the top of the source code. If you are not an experienced Linux user, compiling source code from scratch will be a mess and I don't recommend it. Anyone want to test the compiled application WITH HIS/HER OWN RESPONSIBILITY, can PM me in order to sending the application package (xmosdfu.tar.gz) via email. I suggest to use official supported Windows based application if you have a Windows installed PC around anyway.
Thanks for your sharing, we will try to develop it into a usable tool for common users.

godmax

New beta firmware released
F20 beta firmware installation worked without a flaw.
Just in case, could I flash the older version again, if an issue arises?
So far I did not notice any issues or improvements, since everything worked fine before in my setup.

sound63

Dear Gustard, how can I update the firmware with a Mac, sorry, but I've never done this task!!!
Thanks

gustard

Audio Company
F20 beta firmware installation worked without a flaw.
Just in case, could I flash the older version again, if an issue arises?
So far I did not notice any issues or improvements, since everything worked fine before in my setup.
Yep! You can flash back whenever you want.

gustard

Audio Company
Dear Gustard, how can I update the firmware with a Mac, sorry, but I've never done this task!!!
Thanks
We do not have a standalone tool yet, I'm not sure whether the following Linux method would work on macOS or not. The easiest way is still to use a windows device.
There is an open-source util named "xmosdfu" for operating systems like Linux and OSX. It is a command line util and you have to compile it in order to use it as an executable application.

This is the link of the actual source code (xmosdfu.cpp).
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/i...udio/module_dfu/host/xmos_dfu_osx/xmosdfu.cpp

This is the manual document of the application from official XMOS site:
https://www.xmos.ai/download/DFU-loader-for-XMOS-USB-Audio-devices(4).pdf

I modified the source code in order to make it work with X26 Pro by adding the line below (X26 Pro's Product ID):
#define XMOS_L1_AUDIO2_PID 0x3033

Then I compiled as a static executable which is going to be compatible with all modern Linux devices.
I'm attaching only the modified source code because I'm not sure that forum rules allow posting an executable application here.

I only tested it by getting actual firmware from the device. This procedure called as "Uploading existing firmware from the device" in the document above. So don't confuse it with "Downloading" which is used for flashing a new firmware.

I didn't test it for flashing new firmware because there is no reason forthat at this moment.

Here is an example session for getting (uploading) current firmware from the device:

First we are extracting (like unzip) the package then follows:
Code:
tar zxvf xmosdfu.tar.gz
Now, plug the device then acquire the current firmware from device to the current folder as "x26pro-current-firmware.bin".
Code:
sudo ./xmosdfu --upload x26pro-current-firmware.bin

VID = 0x1ea7, PID = 0x64
VID = 0x1d6b, PID = 0x3
VID = 0x1d6b, PID = 0x3
XMOS DFU application started - Interface 2 claimed
Detaching device from application mode.
Waiting for device to restart and enter DFU mode...
... DFU firmware upgrade device opened
... Uploading image (x26pro-current-firmware.bin) from device
... Returning device to application mode

If we are going to flash new firmware, command line would be as follows (in case of file name is "new-firmware.bin", so change it accordingly). This procedure is not tested by me yet.
Code:
sudo ./xmosdfu --download new-firmware.bin

I added the compile (build) options at the top of the source code. If you are not an experienced Linux user, compiling source code from scratch will be a mess and I don't recommend it. Anyone want to test the compiled application WITH HIS/HER OWN RESPONSIBILITY, can PM me in order to sending the application package (xmosdfu.tar.gz) via email. I suggest to use official supported Windows based application if you have a Windows installed PC around anyway.

sound63

Thanks Gustard!!!
What i thought, much easier to install it with Windows. In any case this is a beta version anyway, and so I can wait for the official one, also because my x26 pro has no problem and it sounds great!!!
Alberto

gustard

Audio Company
Thanks Gustard!!!
What i thought, much easier to install it with Windows. In any case this is a beta version anyway, and so I can wait for the official one, also because my x26 pro has no problem and it sounds great!!!
Alberto
Beta version is to collect testing feedback from users. If everything works fine, it would be the official one in next batch of products.

taner

New beta firmware released
I didn't get any email notification from forum... I just saw the message one hour ago and managed to upgrade the firmware to the f.20 version. Noise issue seems fixed so far. I couldn't manually trigger the noise either. I was able to trigger the noise manually but I can't do it anymore now.

Thank you for support.

Red@

Beta version is to collect testing feedback from users. If everything works fine, it would be the official one in next batch of products.
Hope you can add it to your website and the forum too. Thanks in advance

taner

I didn't get any email notification from forum... I just saw the message one hour ago and managed to upgrade the firmware to the f.20 version. Noise issue seems fixed so far. I couldn't manually trigger the noise either. I was able to trigger the noise manually but I can't do it anymore now.

Thank you for support.
This morning, I powered on my system with regular order (without any particular precaution for noise issue) and I disturbed with the existence of the noise again.. yes noise was there. It has gone with power cycling of X26Pro just like what I was doing before the firmware upgrade.

After power cycle fix, I couldn't make the noise appear again. Another power-on sequence didn't trigger the noise either. I think that if the firmware upgrade fixes the noise permanently, this issue shouldn't repeat in any condition. But it appeared again somehow.

I also noticed that "DSD 24.5 MHz" -false- signal detection notification appears on display as before. There is nothing on my system related with "DSD 24.5 MHz" but X26Pro still falsely notices me about it. This issue seems doesn't have fixed at all.

Last edited:

migo77

Hi, my first post here on ASR. :) Is someone here using UAPP from Android phone as source for X26Pro? I have small connection drop outs that seem to be periodical. I can observe it best when palying MQA from Tidal when it happens X26Pro displays PCM source and after 0.5s maybe switches back to MQA on display and playback continues until it happens again. Any ideas please? Thank you!

taner

This morning, I powered on my system with regular order (without any particular precaution for noise issue) and I disturbed with the existence of the noise again.. yes noise was there. It has gone with power cycling of X26Pro just like what I was doing before the firmware upgrade.

After power cycle fix, I couldn't make the noise appear again. Another power-on sequence didn't trigger the noise either. I think that if the firmware upgrade fixes the noise permanently, this issue shouldn't repeat in any condition. But it appeared again somehow.

I also noticed that "DSD 24.5 MHz" -false- signal detection notification appears on display as before. There is nothing on my system related with "DSD 24.5 MHz" but X26Pro still falsely notices me about it. This issue seems doesn't have fixed at all.
Noise problem occured again after I returned home from shopping. I think that noise problem triggers again if the power cycle period become longer. I was in hope for a permanent solution but it seems that it is too early for coming up with such conclusion.

taner

This morning... guess what?

Noise problem occured again. I'm now quite sure that if the time between power cycle gets longer, noise problem's occurance chance gets higher. I consider that 2.0 beta is failed on noise and "DSD 24.5MHz" deprtments.

I'm looking forward for a permanent fix for these above, @gustard .

Last edited:

gustard

Audio Company
This morning... guess what?

Noise problem occured again. I'm now quite sure that if the time between power cycle gets longer, noise problem's occurance chance gets higher. I consider that 2.0 beta is failed on noise and "DSD 24.5MHz" deprtments.

I'm looking forward for a permanent fix for these above, @gustard .
Got your fancy feedback. And try to post more details in this thread

Top Bottom