• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X26Pro Review (Balanced High-end DAC)

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So, is this another product where the sampling rate is in huge letters and the volume in tiny letters (like the photo), or does it default to a large volume indicator when you adjust it? Does it have a remote?

There seems to be a serious deficiency in the understanding of HID when it comes to these display layouts. Use a single, easily readable font and put the most important info up front and large. Okto seems to get it...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I do know that, but it’s not what I am talking about, I’m talking pro environment, where you need to know where is the master clock, when you have 48 channels of ADC, many of DACS, over sometimes many pieces of equipments and often many rooms, multi channel mixers, etc. Pros don’t use word clock to be « exotic » , not because you get better performance, but because they need to have one clock that is the reference and that all streams walk to the same beat.
Emmm. I was talking about intention of implementing the clock input.

In pro environment, no one would use stuff like this to begin with.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Emmm. I was talking about intention of implementing the clock input.

In pro environment, no one would use stuff like this to begin with.
why not? Me I was talking about the relevence in having external clock when a product calls itself pro

gvl

Major Contributor
So where is the value in adding this connector?

There's none typically. On some DACs you can push a higher sampling rate or DSD through I2S than through USB if you're into that type of things.

Mike-48

So, is this another product where the sampling rate is in huge letters and the volume in tiny letters (like the photo), or does it default to a large volume indicator when you adjust it?

Let's hope. It's nice to see the sampling rate, but as you implied, the volume level is a whole lot more useful!

Mike-48

So where is the value in adding this connector?
It makes the piece more attractive to some audiophiles.

I will say, in its defense, I once had a Muse transport and DAC pair connected by I2S. That gear was really remarkably good, the best digital I had heard then, and that was about 15 years ago. It was smooth when playing violin recordings that were unbearable on some other gear, and the smoothness apparently was not because of any rolloff. Now, a friend with an expensive DAC uses a DDC to get I2S that he can feed into it and is convinced it makes a considerable improvement. I have no opinion on that; all I know is, his system sounds great.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the review @amirm, isn't the sharp rise in distortion against the frequency an audible concern?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So, is this another product where the sampling rate is in huge letters and the volume in tiny letters (like the photo), or does it default to a large volume indicator when you adjust it? Does it have a remote?
Yes, it has a remote. And what you see is what you get as far as volume level.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for the review @amirm, isn't the sharp rise in distortion against the frequency an audible concern?
No because we are measuring ultrasonic noise up to 90 kHz) that is not audible that way.

H-713

Yeah, it's troubling to me that nobody in North America can design/produce them. I know for a fact it can be manufactured in NA, why people seem to steer clear is beyond me. I simply just don't get it.

Schiit does really pretty well. Whether they're winning the numbers game or not, most of their current products are sufficiently far down the rabbit hole of objective performance to satisfy most.

Let's also remember that Audio Precision is an American company as well- they were founded by some former Tektronix engineers. IIRC, they're based in Beaverton, Oregon.

wannarock2

If you are a fan of unconventional, this is the DAC for you. You can tell stories forever to your audiophile friends on what makes this DAC "better." :)
nothing unconventional about achieving lower channel crosstalk creating for superior stereo imaging/soundstage. maybe that’s what some audiophiles would consider “better”. :)

Wolf D90SE – see crosstalk (2k-8k listening levels)
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/topping-d90se-dac-prototype/

Wolf x26xPro – see crosstalk (2k-8k listening levels)
https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-gustard-x26-pro/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
nothing unconventional about achieving lower channel crosstalk creating for superior stereo imaging/soundstage.
Any imaging comes from the content, not from these levels of differentials. The crosstalk tone is at full amplitude. You are not going to see that at 2 to 8 kHz.

xema

The 10M clock is for the reference clock of it's internal pll, not to sync with front gears.
Use a good clock (like c16/c18), and Jtest will show the difference.

gvl

Major Contributor
Anyone has success stories about Gustard tech/customer support to share? $1500 is a lot of money should this become a throw-away complicated piece of electronics if it fails, and chances are it will.

linger63

I am just so tired of being behind on these reviews, hoping to catch up and create some breathing room.

Thank you very much for this review.
Fantastic numbers as expected and right up at the sharp end of your scale.........2nd place if measured at default 5.1V from XLR out!!!
As an owner of the X26Pro though I do have a question.
You mention "Slow" Filter??.......... when there is only Vivid, Gentle and Composite.

Also, I and I would assume every other X26Pro owner, have experienced clear differences in Filter settings.
Hopefully you get the chance to retest this at some stage as this DAC really is a beauty.........IMHO

Last edited:

linger63

Anyone has success stories about Gustard tech/customer support to share? $1500 is a lot of money should this become a throw-away complicated piece of electronics if it fails, and chances are it will.

Don't understand your negativity.
Why do you think it will fail?

Reactions: 617

gvl

Major Contributor
Don't understand your negativity.
Why do you think it will fail?

Because the design is complicated. The more parts the higher the probability of a failure. The logistics of getting support from China is complicated enough even with "supportive" companies such as Topping.

Top Bottom