• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X26Pro firmware release (F20 beta)

gustard

Audio Company

Changelog:​

• Fixed the noise issue under some Linux based sources.
  • Compatibility optimized.
  • Sound quality reviewed.
  • Reliability improved.
Looking forward to getting your feedback.

Attachments

• GSD X26P_USB FW UPDATA_F20.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,219

doitttt

with firmware f.2, it helped a bit with the sound
but a long way yet,
especially Compatibility, with usb that could be done, something better.
example are better stability, from laptop with noise from usbport,
dropout, when written Inference, is taken of arm cpu and memory.
to work, a little with filter an improvement

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning

• Reliability improved.

Cool. Do you expect to release a similar update for the X16?

doitttt

In order to offer high quality filters, Gustard has chosen to develop its own filters using a DSP Analog Device SHARC chip. This solution integrates an anti-aliasing algorithm designed by Gustard, using a high-precision 64bit floating point system. Moreover, this algorithm has been optimized to work perfectly with ESS DACs and ensure the best possible sound quality.
this filter is causing problems
or clock
description
have testing, 2x gustard x26pro
they had almost the same problem
filter works ok on usb but runs spif on tv, are there dropout
tried all filters
if in researching it is done with a firmware it will be good
try to get the filter tested
maybe just one, bad batch of gustard x26pro
uses f2 firmware

OP
gustard

gustard

Audio Company
In order to offer high quality filters, Gustard has chosen to develop its own filters using a DSP Analog Device SHARC chip. This solution integrates an anti-aliasing algorithm designed by Gustard, using a high-precision 64bit floating point system. Moreover, this algorithm has been optimized to work perfectly with ESS DACs and ensure the best possible sound quality.
this filter is causing problems
or clock
description
have testing, 2x gustard x26pro
they had almost the same problem
filter works ok on usb but runs spif on tv, are there dropout
tried all filters
if in researching it is done with a firmware it will be good
try to get the filter tested
maybe just one, bad batch of gustard x26pro
uses f2 firmware
If you find the dropout on all the filters when using spdif, the problem should be from your signal source or cable. The optical, coax and AES shares the same signal path in circuit, if it is about filters‘ problem, you should get the same dropout on any of these 3 ports

OP
gustard

gustard

Audio Company
I upgraded to the F20 beta. My first thoughts are here.
Thanks for your feedback. The '24.5Mhz' is caused by some OS which will put XMOS into an unpredicted mode with random noises. We added some rules in F20 to avoid this situation and did a lot of tests.

From your post, I saw you entered '24.5Mhz' again. Please try to repeat it and describe the detailed configuration and power on sequences of your system.

Thanks for your support and I think here is a better thread to discuss firmware with less unrelated information.

migo77

Thanks for your feedback. The '24.5Mhz' is caused by some OS which will put XMOS into an unpredicted mode with random noises. We added some rules in F20 to avoid this situation and did a lot of tests.

From your post, I saw you entered '24.5Mhz' again. Please try to repeat it and describe the detailed configuration and power on sequences of your system.

Thanks for your support and I think here is a better thread to discuss firmware with less unrelated information.
Hi, I've same problem with DSD 24.5MHz false detection. Steps to reproduce:
1. enable X26Pro
2. connect LG V30 phone with no music app started i.e. phone is on home screen.
3. X26pro switches itself to DSD 24.5MHz.

taner

My Gustard X26 Pro is on f2.0 Beta firmware. It is directly connected to my amplifier. My source is Alpine Linux based PC based on Linux 5.10 kernel.

With the sequence below, I'm always experiencing "DSD 24.5 MHz" and noise issue as before firmware upgrade.

1. Put X26 Pro in USB IN
2. Power Off X26 Pro and your Linux based source
3. Wait 7 hours (my sleep time)
4. Power On X26 Pro
5. Power On your Linux based source
6. Watch the X26 Pro screen
7. See the "DSD 24.5 MHz" on screen when your Linux source gets booted
8. Listen X26 Pro's outputs with an amplifier and notice the existence of the noise

Stoutblock

Forum Donor
I have been watching this thread with interest but have had no noise or dropout problems with my x26pro. When first powered up it always displays DSD 24.5 MHz but changes instantly when it detects actual input with no issues. I use it connected to a Technics ST-G30 music server with USB. I don’t have a clue what the Technics uses to operate the USB interface as it is proprietary and can only be operated remotely with its own music library management system. The good news is it works perfectly in my case. I also use the Gustard BT interface occasionally also with no issues. Great sounding DAC! Yeah, it does run a bit warm but not at a level I am concerned with in the moderate weather in the PNW. I will upgrade the firmware once it passes beta.

taner

I have been watching this thread with interest but have had no noise or dropout problems with my x26pro. When first powered up it always displays DSD 24.5 MHz but changes instantly when it detects actual input with no issues. I use it connected to a Technics ST-G30 music server with USB. I don’t have a clue what the Technics uses to operate the USB interface as it is proprietary and can only be operated remotely with its own music library management system. The good news is it works perfectly in my case. I also use the Gustard BT interface occasionally also with no issues. Great sounding DAC! Yeah, it does run a bit warm but not at a level I am concerned with in the moderate weather in the PNW. I will upgrade the firmware once it passes beta.
If want to make sure about that your setup doesn't trigger the noise problem (that actually all units have), you must crank up the amplifier's volume at highest or you have to use an amplifier that doesn't have an integrated preamp with volume control.

OP
gustard

gustard

Audio Company
My Gustard X26 Pro is on f2.0 Beta firmware. It is directly connected to my amplifier. My source is Alpine Linux based PC based on Linux 5.10 kernel.

With the sequence below, I'm always experiencing "DSD 24.5 MHz" and noise issue as before firmware upgrade.

1. Put X26 Pro in USB IN
2. Power Off X26 Pro and your Linux based source
3. Wait 7 hours (my sleep time)
4. Power On X26 Pro
5. Power On your Linux based source
6. Watch the X26 Pro screen
7. See the "DSD 24.5 MHz" on screen when your Linux source gets booted
8. Listen X26 Pro's outputs with an amplifier and notice the existence of the noise
Can you describe how is the noise like? Is your system in the common listening volume(using DAC's volume or amplifier's volume)?(Or take a video?)
I have discussed with our firmware engineer. 24.5 on display is common for most Linux devices. Last update is trying to fix the noise in normal listening volume.
I tested on my Raspberry pi, got 24.5, but did not notice the noise(with full volume on X26Pro and amp).

taner

Can you describe how is the noise like? Is your system in the common listening volume(using DAC's volume or amplifier's volume)?(Or take a video?)
I have discussed with our firmware engineer. 24.5 on display is common for most Linux devices. Last update is trying to fix the noise in normal listening volume.
I tested on my Raspberry pi, got 24.5, but did not notice the noise(with full volume on X26Pro and amp).
The noise is same as what it is before. It is like high pitch white noise. New firmware didn't affect on noise character...I don't know why you are still asking this??

If you want to make a proper test, make sure that X26 Pro is not powered up at least 6-7 hours. Maybe even lower hours sufficient but I didn't test the minimum amount of time required.

X26Pro is directly connected to my amp. My power amplifier has 21x voltage gain and this is far enough to detect that annoying noise.

I can upload a video later.

Last edited:

taner

I tried to record a video for my regular opening sequence using my smartphone. The video below recorded after I arrived to home from working which means that there is at least 9 hours gap between previous power on.

There is an ambient hiss in the recording which I can't do too much about it. If you listen carefully, you may perceive that noise appears when "44.1 KHz" becomes "24.5 MHz" along with a momentary pop noise (around at 12-13 seconds).

If you don't satisfy with this video, I can try for new one.

Highfive99

New X-26 Pro owner here. Question for Gustard . Not firmware related but I have your U16 but apparently the I2S output of it cannot be used with the X-26 Pro I2S input. I tried 2 HDMI cables but the X-26 Pro will not detect the output of the U16. Is there a particular reason why they are incompatible with each other using I2S? Seems odd the X-26 Pro being the newer product would be designed not to be able to use the U16 I2S.

Highfive99

New X-26 Pro owner here. Question for Gustard . Not firmware related but I have your U16 but apparently the I2S output of it cannot be used with the X-26 Pro I2S input. I tried 2 HDMI cables but the X-26 Pro will not detect the output of the U16. Is there a particular reason why they are incompatible with each other using I2S? Seems odd the X-26 Pro being the newer product would be designed not to be able to use the U16 I2S.
Disregard this question. User error. All is well with I2S.

Giangi71

• Reliability improved.

A strange thing happened yesterday. As I listened, I heard the noise of a disturbing wave starting slowly and increasing more and more and then decreasing. It happened while I was listening to the dsd. What can it be? I updated to F20 firmware. I'm connected via usb to a RPi4 as Roon Endpoint and via xlr to a Gs-x mini headset amp. Thanks

Last edited:

Igor Gaich

Вчера произошла странная вещь. Когда я слушал, я услышал шумную волну, начинающуюся медленно, усиливающуюся все больше и больше, идущей медленно. Это случилось, когда я слушал dsd. Что это может быть? Обновился до прошивки F20. Я подключаюсь через usb к RPi4 в качестве конечной точки Roon и через xlr к усилителю мини-гарнитуры GS-x. Спасибов
вот у меня тоже самое ...

Top Bottom