• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 231 88.2%

• Total voters

kencreten

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Gustard X18 Balanced USB DAC with Bluetooth. It was sent to me by their seller, Shenzhenaudio and costs US $749.

View attachment 172199

As you see style is very much the same as other Gustard products. I like the high resolution display with larger volume indicator.

Back panel shows the usual connections:

View attachment 172200

Gustard X18 Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard with balanced output with digital input adjusted by -2 dB to get nominal 4 volt output:
View attachment 172201

That is extremely good performance. The second harmonic dominates distortion profile but it is down -135 dB (25 dB below threshold of hearing). This easily qualifies X18 as state-of-the-art, placing it in top 3 DACs ever measured:
View attachment 172202

Switching to unbalanced RCA output, we still get superb performance:

View attachment 172203

Allowing the output to get up to 5.4 volt, we get even better performance due to increased dynamic range:
View attachment 172205

Dynamic range is exceptional:

View attachment 172204

Intermodulation+noise performance is superb as expected:

View attachment 172206

Jitter test over USB is great:
View attachment 172207

But there is some inconsequential jitter components if you use Toslink or Coax:

View attachment 172208

Linearity is nailed:
View attachment 172210

As usual, you have an array of reconstruction filters to choose from:
View attachment 172211

Using default L-FAST, we get extremely clean wideband distortion+noise performance:

View attachment 172212

Conclusions
I live for happy days like this: another instrument grade, exceptionally well engineered audio product in the form of X18. It is clear a ton of effort has gone into providing full transparency to input signal. Yes, the cost is up there but if you want the best, you now have one more option.

It is my pleasure to recommend the Gustard X18 DAC.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I'm sorry to ask, but when I reply does it include the article as it appears that it is going to as I post? So I guess this is a test.
Another great audio DAC. [LATER] OK, it does appear to attach it. How do I reply to an article and not quote the article as well? Do I remove the article from my post as it is automatically picked up. Sorry for the ignorance. Maybe there is documentation I have not seen?

testp

Do I remove the article from my post as it is automatically picked up. Sorry for the ignorance.
yes, it will show the article but it will be non-expanded and without pics i believe, so not a biggy. second option: highlight with your mouse the text you want to replay TO, it will show a replay icon and click on that..

TK750

I am not exactly sure what you mean by “stability,” but if you mean longevity of the company (ie, will they be around next year or are they a just a flash in the pan), Topping has been in existence for quite a while. I remember Parts Express selling Topping amps based on the Tripath chips when they were all the rage 10-15 years ago.

No haha, the chap I was replying to was talking about issues with products/firmware etc, that kind of stability.

kopczas

It looks like display size is the same as X16. Am I mistaken?

kencreten

Forum Donor
yes, it will show the article but it will be non-expanded and without pics i believe, so not a biggy. second option: highlight with your mouse the text you want to replay TO, it will show a replay icon and click on that..
OK, thanks.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Multitone added to the review.

index.php

F1308

Major Contributor
Lovely, but my next DAC should have Lossless Bluetooth.

m8o

Forum Donor
@amirm , would love to see how the the bluetooth of these do and compared to other bluetooth solutions, which have mostly been far from stellar. (I say 'these' as I have the X16; dunno if this would translate to that w/o check if it is the same hardware but will assume so).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@196Khz is unusual?
not that i don't like it. just wondering why.
It is the way this sample multitone came from AP so I have been using it such to get some coverage of higher sample rates.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm sorry to ask, but when I reply does it include the article as it appears that it is going to as I post? So I guess this is a test.
Yes. So it is better to not quote it. :). Just type in a new blank replay box unless you want to reference something in the review in which case, first select it with the mouse and then hit Reply. Then it will only quote that part.

Top Bottom