• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X18 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 22 8.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 231 88.2%

• Total voters

Roland68

Major Contributor
This is very helpful information - thank you @Roland68.

So now I'm wondering how the end-user is supposed to handle this. Is it advisable to always turn the X18 completely off using the back-panel switch when not in use? Or, is it OK to have it in 'standby' at all times it is not in use? Was the X18 designed to handle that?

I ordinarily wouldn't be concerned except that I was quite surprised at just how warm the unit was simply idling in standby. It was the kind of warmth I'd expect after using it for a solid hour or more. I've had a Sabaj D5 since 2019, and I leave it in equivalent 'standby' mode all the time, and it doesn't get warm at all in this state. Then again, the D5 also doesn't have the toroidal transformer that the X18 has (to the best of my knowledge).

I may have to take these questions to Aoshida HiFi. The X18 manual devotes a lot more space to things like installing Windows drivers than to more straightforward issues like this, unfortunately.
These devices with transformers that do not have a relay on the mains side all draw considerable power as long as they are not disconnected from the mains with a switch.
Of course, these devices also do not meet, for example, the EU requirements for standby power consumption of max. 0.5 or 1.0 watts.

Since all voltage regulators and analog areas are directly connected to the transformer and thus to the power supply on the Gustard, waste heat is of course also generated by the power consumption. In standby mode, only the processors, digital areas, display, etc. are shut down, but not their power supply.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with switching off such devices completely if you don't need them. Mainly because of the unnecessary power consumption.

Incidentally, the Sabaj D5 has said relay for real standby and manages 0.6 watts.

REK2575

Gustard really should provide a bit more information about the X18's power usage, whether full or on standby. All the specs say is "Power Consumption: <15W". That's pretty vague!

EDIT: By contrast, look at the detailed power info. RME provides for the ADI-2, 2nd screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-27 140727.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-27 140727.png
    104.7 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot 2022-07-27 142149.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-27 142149.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Gustard really should provide a bit more information about the X18's power usage, whether full or on standby. All the specs say is "Power Consumption: <15W". That's pretty vague!

EDIT: By contrast, look at the detailed power info. RME provides for the ADI-2, 2nd screenshot

Well, of course ~15W must be the max consumption.

That's around 120mA.

REK2575

Yes, that stands to reason. What I'd really like to know is, What is the X18's Standby power consumption? I really dislike how warm this thing gets just sitting in Standby. Like @Roland68 point out, it's got to be significantly higher than 0.5W - 1W, to say nothing of the 120 mW standby power consumption of the RME ADI-2.

Gradius

Yes, that stands to reason. What I'd really like to know is, What is the X18's Standby power consumption? I really dislike how warm this thing gets just sitting in Standby. Like @Roland68 point out, it's got to be significantly higher than 0.5W - 1W, to say nothing of the 120 mW standby power consumption of the RME ADI-2.
Just get one of those and you will know:

They costs $12~$14 bucks.

kiyu

This is very helpful information - thank you @Roland68.

So now I'm wondering how the end-user is supposed to handle this. Is it advisable to always turn the X18 completely off using the back-panel switch when not in use? Or, is it OK to have it in 'standby' at all times it is not in use? Was the X18 designed to handle that?

I ordinarily wouldn't be concerned except that I was quite surprised at just how warm the unit was simply idling in standby. It was the kind of warmth I'd expect after using it for a solid hour or more. I've had a Sabaj D5 since 2019, and I leave it in equivalent 'standby' mode all the time, and it doesn't get warm at all in this state. Then again, the D5 also doesn't have the toroidal transformer that the X18 has (to the best of my knowledge).

I may have to take these questions to Aoshida HiFi. The X18 manual devotes a lot more space to things like installing Windows drivers than to more straightforward issues like this, unfortunately.

@JimmyMac -- thanks for this. I've been using the X18 at -02 dB; it's hooked up via XLR to a Rotel preamp.
I got mine off (from the front panel) is not to cold is just a bit warn, If I will have to guess I will say 5 degrees more than the room temperature, when I turned it on, it got a bit warmer, but nothing to concern about it, I leave it always connected ( I mean on with the back switch) and no problem so far..
so not sure how warm is yours.
if I leave it on/ mute again same as on, it gets warm but.. not crazy warm,

mocenigo

Major Contributor
For the second X18, L7audiolab received it from Gustard.
The output amplitude has dropped. It was also changed to a different output amplitude depending on the filter.
Is this behaviour still there? IMNSHO it is not acceptable. If I change filters I do not want the volume to change.

rarewolf

I see that Gustard has just released their R26 Discrete R-2R Ladder DAC, and that begs a question. Has @amirm yet tested/measured a R-2R type DAC? How to they really compare with modern chip-type DACs?

kiyu

I see that Gustard has just released their R26 Discrete R-2R Ladder DAC, and that begs a question. Has @amirm yet tested/measured a R-2R type DAC? How to they really compare with modern chip-type DACs?
They are many R2r dac measured, one of the most popular is the Ares2, which is not bad, if my memory is correct the SINAD is around 105 db, R26 Discrete is worse around 95 db according to l7audio.
I really respect gustard (I own an x18) but if I want a R2r, for that money I will definitely go for DENAFRIPS PONTUS II R2R DAC it has fewer features, but it looks amazing

Veri

Master Contributor
There were ton measured really. On the top off my head..

Schiit Modi multibit
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-battle-of-schiit-audio-dacs.5487 82dB SINAD

Holo Audio Cyan
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-measurements-of-holo-audio-cyan-dsd-dac.6992 ~100dB SINAD

Denafrips Ares II
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166 also ~100dB SINAD

Holo spring 3 and MAY measure as good as a delta sigma DAC. Which really only proves that you won't find any "R2R" magic.... ;)

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Also you can see Wolf's review of R26 here:

It barely clears 16-bit CD transparency. So it is really going for that 'old school' performance lol

REK2575

What advantage is an 'R2R' DAC supposed to provide, exactly? Here's what it says on the Amazon listing:

• Discrete R2R DAC: R-2R ladder DAC converts the digital signal to analog signal by switching resistors' array, it provides a more natural sound. However, this architecture needs precision resistors and deep development to archieve fine performance
In what way does 'switching resistors' array' provide a 'more natural sound'? More natural than what?

Bust3r

I found this thread and am shopping for a new DAC, from the knowledgeable people here, which DAC would be a better pick between the gustard X18, topping D90LE, or Denafrips Ares II, for deep bass response and timbre clarity? Any suggestions other are welcome, but I'd like to keep it under 1k if possible. The topping from what i'm hearing may be TOO revealing for my taste but apparently has a lot of slam and impact in the bass region and the gustard doesnt seem to have enough. I'm a former bass player, so the bass response is the first thing that has the most importance, but really clean sounding (like the atom amp I have) is important as well.

If this isnt the right place to post this, I can make a completely different thread if needed.

chaturanga

Is there anyone who has/had x18 and RME ADI-2 DAC FS and can make a comparison please?

Garrincha

I found this thread and am shopping for a new DAC, from the knowledgeable people here, which DAC would be a better pick between the gustard X18, topping D90LE, or Denafrips Ares II, for deep bass response and timbre clarity? Any suggestions other are welcome, but I'd like to keep it under 1k if possible. The topping from what i'm hearing may be TOO revealing for my taste but apparently has a lot of slam and impact in the bass region and the gustard doesnt seem to have enough.
Any good DAC is transparent to the source and as such revealing. If you don't like what you hear from a good DAC, you should change the source, the speakers, the amp or maybe stop listening to music. DACs also don't have slam, speakers do.
I'm a former bass player, so the bass response is the first thing that has the most importance, but really clean sounding (like the atom amp I have) is important as well.

If this isnt the right place to post this, I can make a completely different thread if needed.
You could get any DAC that is tested well by Amir, excellent measuring ones start from about $100, like the Topping D10s, depending on connections and other features you for sure can spend more, which though will not improve sound quality anymore.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
which DAC would be a better pick between the gustard X18, topping D90LE, or Denafrips Ares II, for deep bass response and timbre clarity?
Proper DACs don't have a sound. If the DAC has a sound it has been colored or is doing something wrong.
The topping from what i'm hearing may be TOO revealing for my taste but apparently has a lot of slam and impact in the bass region and the gustard doesnt seem to have enough.
If you need improvement in your system don't look to the DAC because the good ones of which there are many all sound the same. From about $100 for a simple no frills DAC and up to about $1200 with a huge list of features including PEQ, tone control and more is about the right price range.

If you want better sound then look at a RME DAC or start using EQ/PEQ. If you are using Windows or Mac as a source I can recommend EQ/PEQ software for your sound system. The biggest changes that can be realized in a HiFi system are the speakers and adding EQ/PEQ.

HIFIBOY

For those of you who have heard it, is X18 suitable for listening to music? What I mean is musicality. I don't want to use it to check whether the recording is good or bad, just to make my ears comfortable and happy!

JSmith

Master Contributor
For those of you who have heard it, is X18 suitable for listening to music? What I mean is musicality. I don't want to use it to check whether the recording is good or bad, just to make my ears comfortable and happy!
It's a completely transparent DAC and will process audio signals faithfully, thus your ears will be happy.

JSmith

Roland68

Major Contributor
I heard the X18 a few months ago and compared it to my A18. Both are transparent and high definition.
But what I read from your expectations is contrary to the characteristics and workings of a good DAC. The DAC only converts the digital data that is there into analog.
If he does something else, then something is broken.

Top Bottom