• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 vs SMSL SU-9

kiyu

Hi Guys,
probably this was already discussed not sure.

after coming and going with the idea of a new dac,
I've decided these 2 will be the best candidate:
Gustard X16
SMSL SU-9

As per Amir's measurements, both are fantastic, Gustard may be a bit better, but I probably I won't hear the difference between each other.
Gustard looks more solid and more "premium" (2 kg vs 0.8 kg)
SMSL SU-9 much more popular and 50 $ cheaper, also the quality is not bad.

Problems.
Gustard:
Read about Some fuse issues, and that NOS is a bit noisy (?) But I guess if you turn it off that setting. that's right?
According to some users, they have "a lot of problems" but I've not read many. Does anyone know about others?

SMSL SU-9
I've not heard any problem, only read that the unit is a bit noisier, but not sure if was the opinion of 1 user or if is actually like that.

Please share your thoughts :)
Thanks!

ti33er

I’m exactly at this junction too, Gustard or SMSL(!?) - I was just about to buy an SMSL SU-9 for the ‘tube’ emulation option ...brassy/sandy treble is my peeve and always has been - from what I’ve read the SU-9 is smooth in the treble; at least for a Sabre incarnation?

Linear DACs to my ears are sterile and boring, I always want to increase the midrange and bass a bit when I have an EQ option...

I’ll follow this thread with eager anticipation :)

OP
K

kiyu

I’m exactly at this junction too, Gustard or SMSL(!?) - I was just about to buy an SMSL SU-9 for the ‘tube’ emulation option ...brassy/sandy treble is my peeve and always has been - from what I’ve read the SU-9 is smooth in the treble; at least for a Sabre incarnation?

Linear DACs to my ears are sterile and boring, I always want to increase the midrange and bass a bit when I have an EQ option...

I’ll follow this thread with eager anticipation :)

Well so far not much activity.
regarding of sound, they both must be a bit similar as they both use ESS chips 9038pro vs 9068AS x2.
quite strange that 9068 is only used on Gustard.

I can't tell the difference between ESS vs akm vs cirus logic, as I am not as an expert, quite new, unfortunately.

off-topic:
It looks like (not sure please check) that Ali express will have some promotion in the following days,
Sms 404$
gustard 460$
40$ is good :).

ti33er

Yes I think they may be similar, Gustard measures slightly better but the SMSL SU-9 may be implemented in a way that is smoother - hoping some have tried both here and can answer?

I’ve got Bowers 805D3 which have bright tweeter and would like to tame them a bit. My Cambridge Audio EDGE-A is fairly neutral (ESS9081K2M) which is fatiguing to listen to after a while

NYfan2

Forum Donor
I own the SMSL SU-9 so I can't give an opinion for the Gustard X16 but I can say that the SU-9 does the job very well and it is absolutely silent (at least the one that I have). I pair the SU-9 with the SMSL SH-9 and that's a great combo for headphone use.

ti33er

did you consider the Soncoz SGD1?
Thanks. Taken a quick look...they all seem similar; why would you think the Soncoz is better?

I’m considering splurging on the Gustard X26 Pro if it’s audibly in a different class... it doesn’t make sense if they all sound ‘the samey’ however ;-(

jrampoldi

I don't think it's better, just on par. I was just curious why this wasn't on the list. I bought the Soncoz 4 months ago due to sale price, distinctive looks, and I wrongly thought I could easily use the USB C input to connect my iPhone (no luck as yet). I would have preferred if the volume control had numerical values. Another option would the $419 Sabaj D5 (119 SINAD) which includes a very good headphone amp. Good luck.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I’m considering splurging on the Gustard X26 Pro if it’s audibly in a different class...

It will not be. Check out the measurements for the X16:
  • SOTA for SINAD, both XLR and RCA.
  • 21 bits of dynamic range
  • low noise floor
  • low jitter
  • perfect linearity
  • etc.
All of this is well beyond the thresholds needed for a transparent DAC. If the X26 Pro does somehow measure better you would not be able to hear a difference vs. the X16. The only meaningful differences for you might be features, assuming the X26 Pro has features that the X16 does not.

Reactions: RHO

JSmith

Master Contributor
I've decided these 2 will be the best candidate:
Gustard X16
SMSL SU-9
Same... and have decided on the SU-9 as it can be turned on/off via remote, the X16 only has a switch on the back. Not that these matter much, but SU-9 has the DAC filter modes and the 9 coloration options., also seems to have a better screen and menu. The screen can be dimmed low and can be interpreted from a distance. For me it's a difference of $100 (local stock), with the SU-9 being cheaper.

Very much wondering though what @WolfX-700 has in store with his recent teaser... wondering if I should wait.

JSmith

Fly2High

I went the other way. Just ordered the Singxer SA-1 and Gustard X16 since Shenzen Audio is having a very good sale. For $20 more, I got the Singxer instead of the H16. Sure, the Gustard stack is on sale too but I think the Singxer is a better amp. Will see.

As for DAC, I too was thinking of the SU-9. In a review about the X16, they commented that the Gustard was better and when I asked APOs they also suggested but I took that as they might make more on the X16 than SU-9.

As for the display, I saw that the Gustard can be dimmed I think to 8 different levels and has an auto off where it will turn off and only when data changes does it turn on for a short while. I do not think the SU-9 can do that.

Also wasn't thrilled with the "3 feet". I figured enough people have complained that they would just add the extra foot.

Although, I too liked the idea of colorization but figured if I liked the regular sound of the X16, or one setting in the SU-9, there is no need for the rest. It might help in pairing with an amp but it also , to me, is a set once and forget it forever. Not convinced it did enough to warrant it,

ti33er

It’s a hornets nest these DACs, too many of them once you start digging ...the Pegasus R2R also sounds good, bass and midrange enhanced sonics where I find the richness in music the most enjoyable ...analytical, anaemic presentation with no body sounds like my TV speakers with a subwoofer

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...asurements-of-musician-pegasus-r2r-dac.18786/

It doesn’t seem to have MQA though and I’d prefer not to limit myself

OP
K

kiyu

well in may case and due to the promotions I finally go for
Topping Dx7 Pro 567$ ( all in one solution, measurements are really good, especially as DAC, the amp is not bad, the only problem is that 6 ohm impedance, but most of the headphones I want are more than 80 ohm and some are planar so shouldn't affect that.
I guess for that Money is a really nice deal I thought on the Sabaj d5 but finally, go with topping.

Fly2High

With the sale, I ended up going with the X16. I am concerned with the ESS IMD hump but I find that to be the better DAC and should there be sound differences (placebo or not), they are also in the direction I would want them. Also, it has 4 feet and more inputs. Went with the Singxer SA-1 as the amp as well. Now, when I will be fulfilled is another matter. I heard they are having more orders on the amp than they have supply.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'll be doing some listening comparisons between the Gustard X16 and the iFi Audio NEO iDSD. I'm more familiar with the sound of the iFi since I've had it in the rack for a few months. It's the best sounding DAC I've had in my system, so it will be interesting to see how the X16 fairs.

One thing I really appreciate about the iFi is that everything works. Want full MQA decoding and DSD over S/PDIF? Sure, no problem. Want to thrash your amp with up to 7.7 volts of output? Check. Need a serviceable headphone amp? The NEO has one. Short on desk space? The NEO's display rotates when you set it in its vertical stand.

The iFi is a $200 more, but it's also a more complete product. For example, I was surprised to find in the X16 manual that MQA decoding is not supported on the S/PDIF inputs. I don't care much about MQA, but since MQA decoding is implemented inside the ESS ES9068S chip itself, I don't understand the reason for this limitation. But I do appreciate the heft and solid feel of the Gustard.

I'm hoping that the IR codes from the remote for my Topping Pre90/Ext90 preamp do not conflict with the X16. When I press "volume down" on the Topping remote, the NEO switches to a different input. Pretty annoying. To reduce the volume one click, I have to go down four and up three to cycle back to the same input. LOL. BTW, I have tried driving my amplifiers directly from the NEO, but that did not sound great. Detailed, but lacking dynamics and impact. A bit "grainy" too. Inserting the Pre90 makes a fairly dramatic difference…likely because the input impedance on my monoblocks is rather low.

I've rambled. Happy listening. :)

Veri

Master Contributor
For example, I was surprised to find in the X16 manual that MQA decoding is not supported on the S/PDIF inputs. I don't care much about MQA, but since MQA decoding is implemented inside the ESS ES9068S chip itself, I don't understand the reason for this limitation.
? As far as I know it most certainly can do that. Over in the X16 thread people are using the NODE 2i streamer for example to do just that..

Top Bottom