• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the x16 chain, my speakers are Paradigm Persona B. Subs are Paradigm Seismic 110. Both are black.
Wow. Yeah, the Persona B's should have no problems running full-range. I doubt they would improve with a high-pass filter in front of them unless you like your music over 100 dB. It's just about whatever you have to do to get the best blend.

Paradigm has such tremendous depth and breadth in their product-line these days. I remember when it was just a few monitors and my entry-level Titan V2's back in the 90's. They have come a long way. Congrats!

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Wow. Yeah, the Persona B's should have no problems running full-range. I doubt they would improve with a high-pass filter in front of them unless you like your music over 100 dB. It's just about whatever you have to do to get the best blend.

Paradigm has such tremendous depth and breadth in their product-line these days. I remember when it was just a few monitors and my entry-level Titan V2's back in the 90's. They have come a long way. Congrats!
Thanks!

Other than we both use X16, I find it very interesting to see that you have pretty much similar size speakers with 7" woofer. We both have beryllium based tweeter!

Even our subs are kind of similar in size.

Nice!

I like to listen to music with strong bass pretty loud sometimes, thus I want to crossed the speakers to protect them from blowing up.
: )

I look forward to Topping or Gustard to start selling devices like Minidsp SHD, but at half the price.
: )

Arvind

X16 accepts raw mqa only through usb. I'm thinking of trying some mqa cds. I have read somewhere that any ordinary cd
transport/ player with digital out can output mqa stream from mqa cd. If that so, can anyone suggest good quality cd player/ transport with usb output?

MiLi

X16 accepts raw mqa only through usb. I'm thinking of trying some mqa cds. I have read somewhere that any ordinary cd
transport/ player with digital out can output mqa stream from mqa cd. If that so, can anyone suggest good quality cd player/ transport with usb output?
I'm streaming mqa files from NAS to X16 and it is working well. I'm not aware about CD/SCAD/DVD player with USB output. Standard outputs there are RCA, SPDIF or HDMI.
If exist I than will think of it. Another option is ripping physical media to NAS.

dsnyder0cnn

Yeah. I've yet to find a CD transport with a USB output. I'd be surprised if something like that exists. However, ripping MQA CDs and playing the files generally works as expected (causes the MQA light to show up on the DAC, etc.). Here's one of my Chesky MQA CDs that I ripped and added to my Roon library, for example:

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 8.41.02 AM.png

The X16 recognizes the stream as MQA and renders at the original sampling frequency of 176.4 kHz. I think this is a much better solution than messing about with spinning plastic, but it does take a bit more work to get there.

thejck

Anyone have a summary of the build quality issues that Gustard had. Found out that APOS quit carrying them due to higher than normal returns.
Was it all firmware issues or are there issues with the boards/components that would require shipping back to China to resolve.
Is Gustard worth the roll of die, since to avail of the 2 year warranty shipping back to China would be cost prohibitive.

dsnyder0cnn

Anyone have a summary of the build quality issues that Gustard had. Found out that APOS quit carrying them due to higher than normal returns.
Was it all firmware issues or are there issues with the boards/components that would require shipping back to China to resolve.
Is Gustard worth the roll of die, since to avail of the 2 year warranty shipping back to China would be cost prohibitive.
I like the X16 so much that I bought two of them. They were early releases, so both needed the MCU firmware update, but they have otherwise been rock solid and sound amazing.

thejck

I like the X16 so much that I bought two of them. They were early releases, so both needed the MCU firmware update, but they have otherwise been rock solid and sound amazing.
so mainly the issues where fixed via online support? nothing bad with build/components/boards etc?

dsnyder0cnn

so mainly the issues where fixed via online support? nothing bad with build/components/boards etc?
Correct. No hardware issues. Build quality seems to be excellent, even after taking mine apart to do the update.

thejck

over on the x26 pro thread it sounds like the new firmware goes in via USB from a PC?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Build issues...no. Sound quality - fantastic. I have the X16 for a few months now.

The high rate of returns was almost certainly the firmware update needed is not a simple download....but requires disassembling the unit and using some programming tools. I did the update myself but managed to damage a connection in the process (my fault). They sent a new one no questions asked - already updated

I should add that I also previewed SMSL, Topping, and Oppo and Gustard is better than all of them.

Last edited:

sojer2005

Prior to updating MCU, I only had issues with low-level DSD playback. Everything else has been flawless from the start and since.
The upgrade process itself is not very complicated. If I can do it, anyone can. The process of uploading the new firmware took literally a few seconds in my case.

Yogi42

We have an Anthem AVM 70 using Bluesound Node. Using Bluesound input coax to AVM 70 that has a AKM 4490. Trying the Gustard x16. Will see if there is any improvement or changes.I should note that the AKM 4490 along with the 70 is pretty good. Currently using Qobuz with Paradigm 120 H’s

Last edited:

netizen

Will the combo Bluesound Node2i and Gustard x16 over coaxial work for Tidal MQA ?

Top Bottom