• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

Skinner001

I've had mine for about 8 months now, couldn't be happier. When I got it I did note the small screen - but in practice, it isn't even in my view most of the times, and even when it is I really don't look at the screen in normal use. Otherwise, love the build, feature set and the review on this forum should tell you all you need to know about performance.

cos

Where is the storefront to ensure I get the latest version?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Where is the storefront to ensure I get the latest version?
Any place that sells these at reasonable volume will have the latest stock. I purchased mine from Apos, but for reasons I don't understand, they no longer carry the brand. On Amazon, it looks like Aoshida HiFi-US sells quite a few, so that should be safe. You just don't want to buy one from a place that has had inventory sitting on their shelves for many months. I imagine that AliExpress moves a lot of these as well. Looks like they may have a sale coming up soon… $424.99, which is quite a bit less than what I paid.

Any reliable place with free returns should be fine if you don't want to bother with the MCU upgrade yourself.

Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 1.05.57 PM.png

cos

Took advantage of the sale and now setting up my x16! How do I find out what firmware version I'm running and is the good/latest. Also what are recommended settings and should I install the windows driver? It's working without the driver.

RoyB

Forum Donor
I received my Gustard X16 today. Five days shipping from China to Massachusetts! I've had it playing for a couple hours now....Tidal through a Node2i....COAX output to the Gustard...Analog output To the Sound Artist SA200ia Integrated Amp into KEF LS50 Metas with SVS PB1000 subwoofer....So far, SO Very Very GOOD! A bit more punch in the bass and a much smoother mid and high...It's quite noticeable on this system. The Node2i has a "peaky" sometime a bit shrill female voice. That is gone now. But the biggest improvement is the sound stage. The new Steely Dan live album is one of the best live albums I've ever heard. And even better with this DAC rather than the Modi3+ or the Node2i onboard DAC. Rolling Stones "Symphony For The Devil" is scary! The piano is all the way stage right...All the instruments are well defined and not floating all over the room. Dave Brubeck "Essentials" is amazing! Can't believe a DAC can do this to songs I've listened to a thousand times.....
1f44d.png

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's your concern? Or are you just having a go at me for your own amusement? :rolleyes:
Not at all.
It's your room, right ? Obviously dedicated listening room, in which you invested time & money.
I was just wondering the reason of your purchase for the cable lifters, surely not cheap. So do you have any comment ?
On the contrary, the plastic stools look very light and I'm wondering about vibration and resonances.

dsnyder0cnn

Not at all.
It's your room, right ? Obviously dedicated listening room, in which you invested time & money.
I was just wondering the reason of your purchase for the cable lifters, surely not cheap. So do you have any comment ?
On the contrary, the plastic stools look very light and I'm wondering about vibration and resonances.
It is. The cable lifts were a thoughtful gift from my lovely wife. I doubt they make any difference to sound, but they look nice. The plastic stools are there because I was too lazy to properly mount the bass traps and diffusers to the walls. They are sufficiently mass loaded by the room treatments for resonances to be of any concern, but I'll admit that they are out of place.

dsnyder0cnn

Against the background of stands for cables and other things, white subwoofers directly on the floor look very strange ... But to match the white plastic stools! ).
Man, tough crowd. Is everyone else putting their subwoofers on stands instead of on the floor? What do you propose?

Perhaps I should start a new thread for others to share photos of their rooms. That way I won't be the only person people are picking on. LOL.

What I get for putting myself out there on ASR. Lesson learned. Won't happen again.

Sorry for being snippy. I'm having a bit of a bad day since my aunt passed away this morning. I'll get over the less than affirming comments.

I know it does not look like it, but I've a lot of time getting this room the point where it is. I was not asking for feedback or recommendations when I posted the photo. Although the room could always be better, I'm quite happy with the current state.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Man, tough crowd. Is everyone else putting their subwoofers on stands instead of on the floor? What do you propose?

Perhaps I should start a new thread for others to share photos of their rooms. That way I won't be the only person people are picking on. LOL.

What I get for putting myself out there on ASR. Lesson learned. Won't happen again.
Don't worry about it. I like seeing people setup.

conuss

You have cables on stands to compensate for floor vibration from the subs, I see. ...What an intricate composition, bravo! )) Or you really don't know how to decouple the sub from the floor?
Thanks, you made my day!

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

You are the only one to think that the crowd is after you.
We all like to see set-ups and frankly I admire you, actually I admire even more your wife that leaves you an entire dedicated room and even encourages you with thoughtful gifts even when some of us may doubt of their benefit. But who would oppose his wife's gifts :p

Wishing you all the best in your Nirvana road.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm definitely a fan of the X16.

View attachment 166721

View attachment 166722
Do you use crossover for your speakers?

Right now I am like you, speakers with a pair of subs. I don't use crossover yet and plan to get something with xlr in and xlr out in the near future.

I do have Marantz AV8801 that can do the crossover, but I have been disappointed with sound quality when going through it.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Rude and condescending comments will get you a thread ban and possibly a Warning. Why be so mean and negative. Try understanding and giving advice and sharing knowledge. Treat people the way you wish to be treated and your life will be enriched.

dsnyder0cnn

Do you use crossover for your speakers?

Right now I am like you, speakers with a pair of subs. I don't use crossover yet and plan to get something with xlr in and xlr out in the near future.

I do have Marantz AV8801 that can do the crossover, but I have been disappointed with sound quality when going through it.
Hi @Pdxwayne - I'm running the Fritz Carrera 7 BE's full-range. This seems to work well, as I'm able to tuck the SVS 3000 Micro's output nicely under their natural roll-off to add a little pressurization to the room. I have the balanced outputs of the Topping Pre90 feeding the Orchard Audio monoblocks while single-ended outputs go to the subs. Perhaps not ideal, but it works very nicely.

I am coming from a pair of REL T7/i subs, and I appreciate REL's philosophy of not adding a high-pass filter to the mix. There are certainly pros and cons, so you have to do what works well with the setup you have on-hand.

Which speakers and subs are you using today?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Sorry for being snippy. I'm having a bit of a bad day since my aunt passed away this morning. I'll get over the less than affirming comments.

I know it does not look like it, but I've a lot of time getting this room the point where it is. I was not asking for feedback or recommendations when I posted the photo. Although the room could always be better, I'm quite happy with the current state.
My deepest condolences on your loss. I respect your ability to take the high road! Classy! ;)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi @Pdxwayne - I'm running the Fritz Carrera 7 BE's full-range. This seems to work well, as I'm able to tuck the SVS 3000 Micro's output nicely under their natural roll-off to add a little pressurization to the room. I have the balanced outputs of the Topping Pre90 feeding the Orchard Audio monoblocks while single-ended outputs go to the subs. Perhaps not ideal, but it works very nicely.

I am coming from a pair of REL T7/i subs, and I appreciate REL's philosophy of not adding a high-pass filter to the mix. There are certainly pros and cons, so you have to do what works well with the setup you have on-hand.

Which speakers and subs are you using today?
I will share just a portion of my setup for privacy reason.

For the x16 chain, my speakers are Paradigm Persona B. Subs are Paradigm Seismic 110. Both are black.

As you can see, I also have a separate 5.2 setup in the same room. Also all Paradigm speakers and subs.

20211121_112351.jpg

Top Bottom