• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

shwnwllms

Firmware upgrade complete. DSD issue resolved. It took some trial and error to figure out you need to unplug and plug back in the pins to get the MCU check to kick off (and the new firmware to update).

k525

Firmware upgrade complete. DSD issue resolved. It took some trial and error to figure out you need to unplug and plug back in the pins to get the MCU check to kick off (and the new firmware to update).

In fact Gustard should update the instructions, the serial communication starts only when voltage is applied to the board, so it is necessary to disconnect and reconnect the +5V pin

k525

Can you link the programmer?

Thanks,
Jim

Just go to Amazon and search for "CH340G programmer" (this is the one used by GUSTARD), by the way I used a CP2102 based programmer with success (they will cost few dollars)

kopczas

It took some trial and error to figure out you need to unplug and plug back in the pins to get the MCU check to kick off

I didn`t noticed this. But I connected programmer to usb after connecting pins.

frankh

Sorry if this has been brought up in the past before and I probably missed it. May I know the range of serial numbers of Gustard X16 which has the DSD issue? I am personally having audio glitches issues from X16's USB connection which I do not experience with my other DACs. Strange thing is when I use X16 coaxial input from my audio interface's coaxial output , there are no more glitches therefore I'm pretty sure it's X16's USB connection that produce the audio glitches. I have a collection of DACs with completely no audio glitch issues via USB connection to my desktop PC and Mac mini M1. I have contacted Gustard but I've not received any solution from them until today. I have this audio glitch issue since day 1 I receive my X16. Hope someone with the same issue can share their experience. Thank you.

HenkVleuten

Hi, just new here and I do have also some audio glitches (pops) during listening to mqa tracks, I do see on the x16 screen the mqa is jumping short to pcm and then back to mqa (during the "master" tracks in the Tidal app) this results in annoying pops/ticks.
Setup is wired stable internet over an allobridge signature, usb to Gustard x16.
All volumes are fixed and on 100% (volumio and Tidal app as well the volume of the X16) , tried different setups (like buffering etc) but the switching between mqa and pcm during the master tracks keeps going on.
Im lost an hope someone has/had this issue as well and can help me out fixing this issue

bikeguy

Checked but still its jumping between mqa and pcm... Any other suggestion is very welcome!
Ok, I was referring to another poster about random dropouts using usb. In your case I don't think changing filters would make a difference as you have found out with the MQA/Pcm switching issue. Maybe try another streamer if you can? Maybe your Allo and the Gustard usb connection are not syncing properly for some reason.(a guess there). Try even another usb cable too, maybe use the one supplied with your Gustard.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Also switching between nos in/off doesn't do the job
Are you using any USB noise reducing devices? I used an IFI one between my iPad and the DAC, which seemed to have caused intermittent static-like noise from time to time. Removing the "improvement" seems to have cured this.

frankh

Have you tried changing the PCM filters? Try M-SLOW for a while. See if the drops go away.
Thank you for your suggestion bikeguy but changing PCM will not solve any audio glitch issues like intermittent dropouts.

Top Bottom