• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

Dannemand

NOS mode is intended to be used with a media player that does upsampling to at least 192 kHz. It disables oversampling in the DAC so that you can have more control over how upsampling is performed in your media player. Ideally, you would use NOS mode with something like HQPlayer. It actually sounds brilliant with the right software, but if you are not doing upsampling in software, you should leave NOS mode disabled.

Exactly!

I can understand why DAC manufacturers leave out a NOS option, even when the chip supports it. Too many users think it's just a feature to turn on without understanding what it is for: "I don't want unnecessary processing of my music, just the original source". Understandable.

Oversampling is an integral part of the Delta-Sigma process. Let the chip do its work. OR do it in software, as pointed out.

Edit: Check the graphs in this post earlier in the thread. They show the result of NOS very clearly.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...gustard-x16-owners-feedback.20055/post-667963

sthaus

Did you ever figure this out? being able to select 32/768 in win 10. My laptop tops out at 32/384. Thanks

Yeah, it's from software control (HQplayer, Roon, Foobar2k ...) by Window's default, I only can see 32/384 option same like yours.
If I played on Groove with PC-EQ with 32/384 .. sound quality even better than on Roon in deep and wide at 768khz .. not sure why... may be the my setting EQ does the job, it wont work for Roon and HQ coz they have their own EQ setting.

Reactions: AXR

sthaus

I ordered from Amazon too, they pay back money after I sent msg to return ... but i havent received the return parcel yet from them (for like 3 weeks already) .. i guess they might give the dac free for me or else !! lol

1lifeliveit

Hi, I just received my x16 today. I turn it on, and theres no display. However, the DAC itself is working fine. Any ideas on how to turn the display on?
I've tried the button on the unit both long press and single click. Nothing :(

sthaus

Hi, I just received my x16 today. I turn it on, and theres no display. However, the DAC itself is working fine. Any ideas on how to turn the display on?
I've tried the button on the unit both long press and single click. Nothing :(
It's just on .. return it if you found any abnormal operations, my rekon

1lifeliveit

It's just on .. return it if you found any abnormal operations, my rekon
Yep. Its going back. What a PITA...its the price you pay for inexpensive technology I suppose
:rolleyes:

kopczas

Hello,
I`ve just upgraded firmware. Now it`s ok. No strange noises in silence :D :D
I wanted to some pix during the operation but I`ve realized that Gustard`s manual is precise. Programming took 5 seconds.
All you need except programmer and keys is soldering iron and 4 pins.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
soldering iron? Where's the video?

kopczas

soldering iron? Where's the video?

You need to solder those to the PCB.
IMG_0638.jpg

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
No 4 pin push on connector?

vco1

All you need except programmer and keys is soldering iron and 4 pins.
So you're buying a defective DAC and not only need to buy/find a specialized device to fix this, but need to do some soldering work on top of that. I find it pretty remarkable that people are still buying from this company.

sojer2005

I have zero interest in dsd... I was thinking about upgrading firmware just for fun, but this soldering thing maybe to much for me ... is it really necessary?

vco1

So I`ve BOUGHT device with software defect which I could not know about, with took 5 minutes to fix. Ask apple for solution when you find defect.
They wont ask you to use a soldeirng iron. Come on, it's not a DIY dac, isn't it?
It comes across like this is 'normal procedure' to fix a defective device. In my book it ain't.

kopczas

It comes across like this is 'normal procedure'

Well, for me it is.
You can send it to distributor or manufacturer if you`re not able to do it yourself.
Another idea is that you take front panel itself to your local smartphone or gsm repair guy so he could solder those 4 pins in 10 seconds.

But you have your point, first I thought that they did not intend x16 to upgradeable, but they left unpopulated 4 pin port on the pcb so at the end, upgrade of firmware is possible.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I ordered from Amazon too, they pay back money after I sent msg to return ... but i havent received the return parcel yet from them (for like 3 weeks already) .. i guess they might give the dac free for me or else !! lol
Amazon expects you to return it in the original box. I don't believe they send you a return parcel.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
So I`ve BOUGHT device with software defect which I could not know about, with took 5 minutes to fix. Ask apple for solution when you find defect.
I thought the programmer came with jumper wires and push-on connectors......

I'm not adverse to soldering, just took me by surprise.

Top Bottom