• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Will the combo Bluesound Node2i and Gustard x16 over coaxial work for Tidal MQA ?

Maybe. The X16 only supports full MQA decoding over USB, but it will do MQA Rendering for the other inputs. If the upstream software can handle the first unfold (MQA Core Decoding), the X16 can render the 24-bit, 88.2/96 kHz stream to whatever the original sampling rate happens to be.

I don't have a Node 2i, so I don't know how it processes MQA before sending the stream to an external DAC, but I'd be surprised if it can't do Core Decoding. Perhaps check the manual. If you have Roon, it will handle Core Decoding for you, even with the Node 2i in the signal path.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Will the combo Bluesound Node2i and Gustard x16 over coaxial work for Tidal MQA ?
I have the node2i (not the latest version) that connects to my x16 via coaxial. When I had Tidal, mqa works. X16 display won't show mqa, but different wording to indicate mqa second unfold. If I recall correctly, you need to have fixed volume from node2i. Also don't select external mqa decode.

Yogi42

Just got the x16–first impression is it’s harsh and muffled-1 hour getting me digital nervous. I’m used to my AVM 70 with AKM 4490
we shall see if it gets better

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just got the x16–first impression is it’s harsh and muffled-1 hour getting me digital nervous. I’m used to my AVM 70 with AKM 4490
What is your whole chain of connection?

dsnyder0cnn

Yeah. Something is definitely not right. The AVM 70 does not have balanced inputs, which is kind-of a bummer. To actually hear the X16, it looks like the input you select must be configured with "Convert Analog" set to "No". Otherwise, the AVM will convert the analog signal from the X16 back to digital.

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 10.08.13 AM.png

Also take care to check the settings on the X16. I'd suggest starting with the "H-FAST" filter and make sure that "NOS" mode is disabled unless you are upsampling source material to at least 192 kHz.

Yogi42

Bluesound Node coax to Gustard to RCA analog AVM 70
Hi fast nos is disabled
Tidal and Qobuz
Qobuz is really harsh
AVM 70 to Anthem 525 balanced outputs but not input
Convert no

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Hi fast nos is disabled
Tidal and Qobuz
Qobuz is really hurtful
I would say your bottleneck is AVM 70.

I have tried DAC outputs (topping and gustard dac) to my Onkyo AVR, my Yamaha Integrated amp, and my Marantz AV preamp. I was disappointed with the sound quality with all 3.

X16 to h16 to power amp (all via xlr) is my current chain. Best I have heard from my speakers and subs.

dsnyder0cnn

Hi fast nos is disabled
Tidal and Qobuz
Qobuz is really harsh
AVM 70 to Anthem 525 balanced outputs but not input
Convert no
Although the input impedance on the 525 is a little low at 15kΩ, I would try connecting the X16 directly via balanced cables. Just temporary to get a better sense of how it sounds. Output impedance is relatively high at 300Ω and digital attenuation is not the best. But, this will give you a better idea.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I was concerned about the chain after the Gustard and recently bought the Sabaj A10h preamp to eliminate my AVR receiver (and room correction).

It was a noticeable and positive change to the sound (crisper and more dynamic). I will eventually do room correction with Roon/REW. I was going to try cabling my X16 directly to the amp with the balanced cables but someone here tried that and it didn't sound right so I didn't do it.

By the way, Yogi42: where do you have the filters set on the Gustard?

Last edited:

Yogi42

8 hours on the x16-still getting better still a little sharp I imagine many more hours will really improve—-we skipped the x18, went to the x26 pro. I assume that it will blow our socks off—we’re waiting to get the new AVM 90—if the x26 pro is really good maybe we will our keep the 70

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

8 hours on the x16-still getting better still a little sharp I imagine many more hours will really improve—-we skipped the x18, went to the x26 pro. I assume that it will blow our socks off—we’re waiting to get the new AVM 90—if the x26 pro is really good maybe we will our keep the 70
Objectively speaking, the X16 is a tiny bit better than the X26 Pro when using balanced outputs. I'm expecting the X18 to be better than both, but time will tell.

Screen Shot 2021-12-12 at 1.07.49 PM.png

The X26 Pro has been plagued by more firmware issues than the X16, but I understand that both are sorted now.

The multitone performance of the X16 looks to be a lot better than the X26 Pro, although the differences are not likely to be terribly audible.

Gustard X16 Balanced USB DAC Multitone Measurements.png

Gustard X26Pro Multitone Measurements RCA USB DAC.png

Edit: The X16 Pro's multitone plot looks essentially identical to the X16 after firmware updates. Thanks @wannarock2 for pointing this out!
Reference here.

Gustav X26Pro Multitone Fixed Measurements RCA USB DAC.png

Still, the X16 clobers the X26 Pro in terms of price/performance.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's much benefit to adding a bench-quality DAC like the upper-end Gustards, Toppings, or S.M.S.L.'s to a system that's based around a home theater pre/pro or receiver. I would just use the internal DACs. Even if you manage to achieve an all analog signal-path (something that I'm not convinced is happening with your AVM 70 since room correction is still enabled), any benefits from an external DAC will be lost after the signal passes through the noisy circuits in the processor.

A way around this is to find a transparent analog preamp with HT Bypass feature. Connect the DAC to that and place it between your AVM 70 and your amplifier. When you're listening to music, just power the AVM 70 down. For movies, engage HT Bypass, and the preamp switches to unity gain, behaving like a piece of wire and effectively taking itself out of the signal path. Although it does not have HT Bypass, the Schiit Audio Freya S has a passive mode. When in this mode, turning the volume to max will effectively act like a bypass. You would have to be very careful to turn it back down after watching your movie though…so this is far from an ideal solution!

Last edited:

Yogi42

We shall see, no offense but I hope you are incorrect since I don‘t generally look at measurements but listen to my ears.

Top Bottom