• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 or SMSL SU-9

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I know that both will sound audibly transparent, and not much to decide between them from a measurement perspective either. I am wondering if the power supply in the Gustard is better though. Curious if anybody has any thoughts between the two devices. They really seem pretty closely matched all things being considered. My amp has an input impedance of 120K ohms for the XLR so nothing to worry about there.

Morla

Forum Donor
Can't tell about the impedance but if you prefer to allow the dac to switch off its display after a given amount of time so as I do: The Gustard A18 does that and I think the X16 is doing so, too.

N

nhatlam96

Veri, wrote sth about that here:
SU-9 has around 1 bit of better multi-tone result, higher voltage output. X16 has ~1dB more SINAD. I would assume they are about equivalent.. buy what is cheaper or which you like the looks of :)
I really like to nitpick, because it's the race for the top state of class.
When it comes to THD+N vs Freq, the Gustard is "way" better.
SMSL SU-9 Balanced USB DAC THD+N vs Frequency Audio Measurements.png

Gustard X16 Balanced USB DAC THD+N vs Frequency stereo Measurements.png

Veri

Master Contributor
When it comes to THD+N vs Freq, the Gustard is "way" better.
It is way better, but Amir always performs this test in 90kHz bandwidth, when you put it into 20hz-20kHz perspective there is no audible difference still. Just that the Gustard has noticeably better out-of-band suppression. It is state of the art yes, but I wouldn't worry about this difference.

Pankar0

Hello guys I have the same interesting about these two dacs, overall I think the x16 seems more promising to me maybe I m waiting for more reviews from the experts to decide.
Maybe the only thing to push me to su-9 is the option to change the color of music... I think it's a very nice future.

Fish17

Hello guys I have the same interesting about these two dacs, overall I think the x16 seems more promising to me maybe I m waiting for more reviews from the experts to decide.
Maybe the only thing to push me to su-9 is the option to change the color of music... I think it's a very nice future.
Did you end up making a decision?

Fish17

Nice me too, just placed the order today.

When do you get yours?

Pankar0

I m placing the order 18/2 from Audiophonics France, but something happens and the package stack in France airport... I send to them an email and below is the answer...

Screenshot_20210305-220534_Gmail.jpg

I can't wait,, 17 days now.

Veri

Master Contributor
I can't wait,, 17 days now.
Not to put the blame on you, but you did choose the cheapest shipping option; correct?
These things can happen. TNT or DHL would have been faster/more reliable.

Pankar0

Not to put the blame on you, but you did choose the cheapest shipping option; correct?
These things can happen. TNT or DHL would have been faster/more reliable.
I as you see below the delivery time for European countries is 4-5 days... I m thinking ok maybe take a little more, no problem. But in my case something else happens.
Screenshot_20210305-223103_Samsung Internet.jpg

Pankar0

Guess who is home...???
Finally..!!
I don't waiting this quality... the device is made like a tank... the pictures from the web they can't describe the quality.
Only if you catch it with your hands understand the built the weight the finish..
Super.!!
Congrats Gustard..!!!

received_162052819080783.jpeg
received_745496479504492.jpeg

Last edited:

dorirod

Considering these as well, so far biggest differentiator for me is the volume display. The X16 is tiny and would bug me to no end I think. They haven't increased that have they?

OP
A

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Considering these as well, so far biggest differentiator for me is the volume display. The X16 is tiny and would bug me to no end I think. They haven't increased that have they?
Do you plan on changing the volume?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Finally I have on the road the x16...
Had mine since they started shipping them,had not a nary problem,you won't be disappointed, unless you like looking at the screen,P.S. get a wifi plug that way you can shut it down without reaching around the back,unless you like reaching around the back.lol

Top Bottom