• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard x16 /Mqa/ Android

Bartender1981

Hi. What's the best way to connect a smartphone as player for tidal master into the Dac (gustard x16) for a full Mqa decode? I have Huawei P30 Pro usb C audio output.
In alternative can I use a tablet with micro USB output?
Thanks for support!

Dannemand

Hi. What's the best way to connect a smartphone as player for tidal master into the Dac (gustard x16) for a full Mqa decode? I have Huawei P30 Pro usb C audio output.
Thanks for support!

1) Use an OTG cable or adapter to connect the phone/tablet to the DAC's USB.

2) Then use UAPP from Play Store as player to bypass the Android Mixer (which otherwise will destroy the MQA).

3) Enjoy the music.

UAPP supports streaming from Tidal/Qobuz as well as playing files from internal storage, SD Card, network drives etc. It can even act as a UPnP renderer, controlled from another phone/tablet. They have a free trial linked on their Play Store listing page.

Note that UAPP has its own software MQA decoder add-on, but you DON'T need it with an MQA DAC like X16.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Thanks for support!
If playing your own music library, you can use hiby player for free. It's bitperfect play.

Dannemand

If playing your own music library, you can use hiby player for free. It's bitperfect play.

Hiby doesn't bypass Android Mixer, resamples everything to 16/48. MQA is lost. At least on my LG V30.

Dannemand

Have you tried MQA, like the OP asked about?

I haven't tested Hiby in a while. I'll try their latest version.

Dannemand

Just try it. Hiby can play MQA bitperfect to my DAC.

You're right, it does indeed. Good call!

I'll run an audio_flinger dump when I get the time to see if it also works correctly on the internal ESS DAC of my LG (i.e. bypasses the Mixer, and sets MQA flag when playing MQA). But that's another matter. Nothing to do with the X16.

Top Bottom