• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Upgrading to Big Sur didn't solve the problem.

MacOS...X16 just isn't showing up as a USB device no matter what I do now. I'll check later to see if it works when connected to Windows or an iPhone.
At least with Windows 10, there is no issue for me.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Intel based 2019 16" Macbook Pro.
I am using Gustard U16, X16 and A18 on a 2013 Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini without any problems.
I noticed that the original USB cable is a bit sensitive to interference.

I would test the X16 on another computer and make a complaint if necessary

Reynaldo

I am using Gustard U16, X16 and A18 on a 2013 Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini without any problems.
I thought about buying the U16 to use IIS instead of USB.
Did you notice any improvement?

Reynaldo

Yesterday the following happened, after connecting the smart socket and configuring the wi-fi, I connected with the X16 and disconnected to test.
Later I went to listen to music, I turned on the DAC, the MAC and the integrated, and the X16 display was UNLOCK.
I turned off the X16, turned it on again and it worked normally again. I don't know why UNLOCK appeared if the MAC was connected by USB.

Frio

Unlock appears when you don't have a signal. So maybe the source signal was in stand by or something.

devopsprodude

I would test the X16 on another computer and make a complaint if necessary
Yeah, this is happening with a USB B to USB C cable and with a USB A to B cable going into USB C hub.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't use I²S, that one was created to be used inside a circuit/PCB (tracks). It was NEVER meant to be use as a form of external communication/transport.

I²S is too sensible to EMI, in other words, you will pick up a much WORSE signal than via USB.

Its called Inter-Integrated Circuit for a VERY good reason.

sq225917

Major Contributor
And yet measurements of the pi2aes show it to be better than usb on the same device. As ever it's all down to implementation.

Reynaldo

Attachments

• i2s-card-large.jpg
    i2s-card-large.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 110

Frio

There is this board for the Oppo 103 with I2S output.
In this case would it have any advantage or not?
The first question in this case, is the other downside of i2s, ist it compatible to the i2s standard of another company.

ABall

Forum Donor
There is this board for the Oppo 103 with I2S output.
In this case would it have any advantage or not?
OPPOMOD
High end stereo dac board installation (oppomod.com)
Have a search for hdmi to i2s converter, another member on this thread purchased one and uses it with an sacd player, he says it's good. I think it was MiLi. I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than your add in card, that's if you have dual hdmi out on the oppo.

Reynaldo

The first question in this case, is the other downside of i2s, ist it compatible to the i2s standard of another company.
The X16 is compatible, I asked the manufacturer.
The Oppo 103 would just be a transport with the I2S output going straight to the DAC.
The question is whether there would be any improvement in sound over USB.

ABall

Forum Donor
The X16 is compatible, I asked the manufacturer.
The Oppo 103 would just be a transport with the I2S output going straight to the DAC.
The question is whether there would be any improvement in sound over USB.
No improvement in sound, I only suggest it when you used up the USB

Reynaldo

Have a search for hdmi to i2s converter, another member on this thread purchased one and uses it with an sacd player, he says it's good. I think it was MiLi. I'm sure it will be a lot cheaper than your add in card, that's if you have dual hdmi out on the oppo.
Yes I saw, but then you would have another external device between the Oppo and the DAC.
I also have an Oppo 205 here, but then it wouldn't be logical, because the Oppo 205 DAC is very good.

ABall

Forum Donor
Yes I saw, but then you would have another external device between the Oppo and the DAC.
I also have an Oppo 205 here, but then it wouldn't be logical, because the Oppo 205 DAC is very good.
Yeah I would only do it if you had no inputs left on the x16 and it was cheaper than the pcb, Mili seemed very happy with it.

Top Bottom