• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ABall

Forum Donor
Which one?

The 3V on RCA? Put a high quality resistor there. Problem solved.
I dont think a single resistor would block DC, suggested circuits are an RC filter with 2 more R's to ground and you better have equipment to measure for impact of altering frequency. The simple solution is turn the DAC on before the amp and turn the amp off first, or do what I did before I got a new preamp and leave the x16 on.

Reynaldo

I think the X16 is an excellent DAC, it was better than the Oppo 205 that I used.
The only thing that bothers me is having to turn the rear switch on and off.
I don't know if this switch can be a problem with time.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
I think the X16 is an excellent DAC, it was better than the Oppo 205 that I used.
The only thing that bothers me is having to turn the rear switch on and off.
I don't know if this switch can be a problem with time.
Longevity is always an issue for less established brands. That's why I use a smart outlets to turn on/off devices.

nhs

Could a X16 owner tell me if only the RCA or both RCA and XLR outputs have the DC offset issue?
Thanks!

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Which type do you use?
Can you put a picture?
Thanks
I am using this smart outlet controlled by app thru wifi. I need to control DAC, power amp etc. The order is to turn on DAC first and amp next. And turn them off in reversed order. I can now hear little thump from speakers now. Not too loud.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210528-090219_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210528-090219_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    565.3 KB · Views: 136

walt99

Forum Donor
I listen to the system at least 12 hrs a day between stereo and HT, so I have elected to just leave it and the node2i on all the time.
These things draw so little power its insignificant, will it shorten its life, guess we'll see but I doubt it.

ABall

Forum Donor
Could a X16 owner tell me if only the RCA or both RCA and XLR outputs have the DC offset issue?
Thanks!
I measured high ish DC on both but I never plugged the XLR into an amplifier, it's only an issue with DC coupled amps.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Thanks!
My personal experience is RCA is bad for one of my subs. I only made that mistake on one sub once. : )

XLR is fine with my subs. One of the subs that is fine with XLR made big pop noise when it was connected to my other DAC (KTB) and the DAC was turned off.

Also, RCA seems not too bad when connected to Topping L30, listening via headphones. No very loud pop.

So like ABall said, maybe amps related too.

Last edited:

nhs

I measured high ish DC on both but I never plugged the XLR into an amplifier, it's only an issue with DC coupled amps.
Thank you, I have DC coupled amps (hypex nc400 and anaview ams1000).

nhs

My personal experience is RCA is bad for one of my subs. I only made that mistake on one sub once. : )

XLR is fine with my subs.

Also, RCA seems not too bad when connected to Topping L30, listening via headphones. No very loud pop.

So like ABall said, maybe amps related too.
I only use DC coupled amps with XLR directly connected to the DAC. So I'm afraid the DC issue might affect on it too.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I only use DC coupled amps with XLR directly connected to the DAC. So I'm afraid the DC issue might affect on it too.
One of the subs that is fine with XLR made big pop noise when it was connected to my other DAC (KTB) via RCA and the DAC was turned off. So my subs may be DC couple amp too.

Anyway, I was checking my stereo amp also via xlr using my cheapest speakers that I can sacrifice. That is one way to check. ; )

devopsprodude

I've had my Gustard X16 for just over a month and so far it's been great until last week. Now I'm having issues getting Macbook Pro to connect to it via USB. BT still works. I've tried different cables. Resetting power on the X16 was fixing the issue before today. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.

Roland68

Major Contributor

Reynaldo

I've had my Gustard X16 for just over a month and so far it's been great until last week. Now I'm having issues getting Macbook Pro to connect to it via USB. BT still works. I've tried different cables. Resetting power on the X16 was fixing the issue before today. Wondering if anyone else has had similar issues.
Have no problem with the computer?
What software are you using?

sq225917

Major Contributor
I sometimes have to close audivarna, switch of the dac, power it back up and open audivarna again. But I am running dos dude catalina on a 2010 mbp...

Reynaldo

No, no other problems with the computer.

Upgrading to Big Sur now to see if that helps at all.
I'm using a Mac mini Intel 2014 with Big Sur and Audirvana v3.5 It works perfect.

I bought the smart outlet for wi-fi so I don't have to turn it on and off on the X16, problem solved.
I control everything by cell phone.

Top Bottom