• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ABall

Forum Donor
Thanks, yes agreed. DC bias in the output stage is a bigger concern when using DC coupled amps like Purifi or Hypex, and when replacement voice coils or drivers may no longer be available for your speakers. The good news is that the X26 Pro reportedly has very little DC offset and likewise for the Okto dac8 Stereo, nice.
The bad news is they cost a lot more money and all you have to do is turn the x16 on first and off last, I dont bother turning it off even though my preamp blocks DC spikes.

ABall

Forum Donor
Is DC offset is also an issue with the SMSL SU9? If not, this may be a better choice for use with DC coupled amps.
You wont find anything in the spec sheets so will have to rely on another member measuring it at switching. DC offset is normally quoted for "normal operation" not at turn on and off. You could also suffer this with any number of preamps or the preamp could protect the amplifier if it has a delayed start etc. Just have to do a bit of legwork.

sojer2005

Finally the X16 is in my hands. Sturdy build quality, nice sounding without overwhelming bass response. There is no need for a firmware upgrade?

ABall

Forum Donor
Wow. Incredible performance. If I had a need for MQA, I'd get this
Unless you just dont want MQA out of principle that is no reason not to buy the X16, I have no intention of using MQA....

Last edited:

DeepSpace57

Finally the X16 is in my hands. Sturdy build quality, nice sounding without overwhelming bass response. There is no need for a firmware upgrade?
What do u mean saying ` without overwhelming bass response`? another product no bass at all?

sojer2005

What do u mean saying ` without overwhelming bass response`? another product no bass at all?
I mean it is tonally even. I don't like too much bass slamming into face, that is in contrast to Ares II which I briefly have had.

Shives

Forum Donor
I have been looking at the SMSL 9U but being it’s broken for testing at least, as well as this being able to unfold and work with Bluesound Vault 2i. I think this is my next purchase.

I have a Denon AVR 3700. And was looking to make a 2ch setup for music and playing around. The Vault, Hypex amp and this DAC.
I did not read the full 124 pages, but I thought I saw some with great results with the combination. Also, if anyone can answer if using this Dac with the combo would make a huge difference?
Thanks much.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Read two comments above of yours! What slams?
This is paired with the H16 sometimes the A90,no matter what amplifier I pair it with it slams,you still should get one,I think you'll like it.P.S. I like the flavor of the X16 H16 stack over the A90 DX7 pro stack, more flavorful in my opinion.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just bought the X16 and indeed, the sound and build quality are absolutely brilliant. Unfortunately it has 2 heavy drawbacks which led me to return it. The BT reception is the worst I ever had with any device. I am sitting around 4m away from it and have massive outages. I have to lift my phone up and adjust the back of it to "hit" the BT antenna of Gustard. Maybe its broken because with my Loxije I was able to go to the end of the next room and didnt lose connection.
The second thing which is bad is the display. I cant see which input is chosen. I will recieve today the SMSL SU-9 and hope I will get happy with this one.

Must be just your phone as we didn't see anyone else complaing about BT reception.

Keep in mind phones needs to be UPDATED in order to work like we expected to be. I know this by experience.

nhs

Hi there,

do any one know the infrared codes for Gustards remote control or where to get the IR codes for Gustards gears?
I need it to integrate the remote control in an android app.

chefffe

Must be just your phone as we didn't see anyone else complaing about BT reception.
Brilliant thinking, as I already mentioned with Loxjie and my phone I could go to the end of the next room:rolleyes: ... the same with any other BT device I have and had, except Gustard. I believe the Gustard was broken regarding BT ...

tparm

Forum Donor
Brilliant thinking, as I already mentioned with Loxjie and my phone I could go to the end of the next room:rolleyes: ... the same with any other BT device I have and had, except Gustard. I believe the Gustard was broken regarding BT ...
Could be your unit. Mine is Ethernet only downstream from a Node so I don’t use BT, but a buddy of mine uses BT exclusively for hi-res files and had no issues from his MLP of +/- 11’.

Top Bottom