• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
First time using stand alone DAC, unfortunately my main system is awaiting its new heart (AVR-A110) so I just hoked it up to my 1990 Pioneer receiver and Polk Monitor 5Bs (my college freshman purchases) in my garage - have my Node 2 running to the X16 via coax and then analog to my Pioneer from the X16 streaming from Tidal; shazam, it sounds great. I can't wait to use it in my main system.

A couple of questions: I set the volume to" 00" as I use my receiver, the filter to "L fast" and nos to "off." Do you all with more experience than me agree with this set up? Thank you.
Yes, I agree with your setup.
: )

sev1

Forum Donor
First time using stand alone DAC, unfortunately my main system is awaiting its new heart (AVR-A110) so I just hoked it up to my 1990 Pioneer receiver and Polk Monitor 5Bs (my college freshman purchases) in my garage - have my Node 2 running to the X16 via coax and then analog to my Pioneer from the X16 streaming from Tidal; shazam, it sounds great. I can't wait to use it in my main system.

A couple of questions: I set the volume to" 00" as I use my receiver, the filter to "L fast" and nos to "off." Do you all with more experience than me agree with this set up? Thank you.

I think that's the way to go unless you have software up/over sampling.

Pankar0

May I ask the difference between 00 volume and max volume... I have connected the RCA outputs to active speakers ( Edifier R2750DB) and the XLR's to headphone amp (Loxjie p20) and the volume is to maximum... is this wrong..???

sev1

Forum Donor
May I ask the difference between 00 volume and max volume... I have connected the RCA outputs to active speakers ( Edifier R2750DB) and the XLR's to headphone amp (Loxjie p20) and the volume is to maximum... is this wrong..???

I think you have set it to DAC mode which disables the volume. I think that's only accessible via Remote and I haven't set it that way yet cause I don't have any AAA batteries. Since you have volume control on your amp you have it set correctly. I will be doing the same once i get batteries.

Pankar0

I read the user manual and I find this

Screenshot_20210318-202259_Polaris Office.jpg

Ok .. but if I set the volume to 90 which is the difference.??
The output levels is higher..??
I have any issues when the volume is set to max..??
Finally which is the correct settings

Frio

I read the user manual and I find this

View attachment 118940

Ok .. but if I set the volume to 90 which is the difference.??
The output levels is higher..??
I have any issues when the volume is set to max..??
Finally which is the correct settings
Normal is 0 dB you go down into negative - which is usually a thing with dacs since you have digital Volume control and you change the bits digitally. Mqa for example uses max volume to set the standard, that's why they fix the volume from app to dac and your volume control lies in the analog amp.

Pankar0

Normal is 0 dB you go down into negative - which is usually a thing with dacs since you have digital Volume control and you change the bits digitally. Mqa for example uses max volume to set the standard, that's why they fix the volume from app to dac and your volume control lies in the analog amp.
Ok understand, I m listening only Tidal mqa via usb otg cable from android tablet with UAPP app.. so maybe the volume for me is the same either at 00 or 90.. if I m correctly.

Frio

Ok understand, I m listening only Tidal mqa via usb otg cable from android tablet with UAPP app.. so maybe the volume for me is the same either at 00 or 90.. if I m correctly.
Usb is great, uapp too, then check exclusive mode in tidal and that other volume setting when you click on the standard sound device in tidal.
You should see that on the dac display. If it is true to mqa it shows 'mqa', if not you see 'ofs'.

Pankar0

Usb is great, uapp too, then check exclusive mode in tidal and that other volume setting when you click on the standard sound device in tidal.
You should see that on the dac display. If it is true to mqa it shows 'mqa', if not you see 'ofs'.
I m ok with this ... the display it shows MQA and the UAPP works just fine from the first time... with the X16.
I m asking about the volume settings and deference from 00 to 90 range.. because I don't understand what exactly changes...

Joaquinín

Anybody can check the phase output of the X16? When feeding directly my Neumann Kh80 speakers via XLR, the polarity is inverted according to Dirac Live measurements. I have checked the X16, and I have "Phase Invert" disabled (that is, pin 1 ground, 2 hot and 3 cold), but somehow the end result coming out of the speakers is inverted phase. May be there is a software mistake at the X16? It could be the Kh80s, but I am inclined to trust Neumann rather than Gustard.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I m ok with this ... the display it shows MQA and the UAPP works just fine from the first time... with the X16.
I m asking about the volume settings and deference from 00 to 90 range.. because I don't understand what exactly changes...
you already had your answer. 00db is 4 volts xlr, 2volts rca, and you can only go -dB to max -90dB.

walt99

Forum Donor
Top Bottom