• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered an SMSL amplifier from Shenzhen Audio. However, the tracking of the package stopped halfway and did not arrive even after 3 months.
I requested a refund from Shenzhen Audio, but they simply repeatedly claimed that they were not responsible for the accident in transit and the money was not refunded.
This kind of treatment is not limited to Shenzhen Audio, and it seems common sense that retailers are not responsible for accidents during transportation in online sales in China.
The SMSL Web Shop Terms clearly state that.
We need to consider the risk of such an accident when ordering.
Do they use DHL?

DHL is usually quite good about tracking and general accountability.

Veri

Master Contributor
I ordered an SMSL amplifier from Shenzhen Audio. However, the tracking of the package stopped halfway and did not arrive even after 3 months.
I requested a refund from Shenzhen Audio, but they simply repeatedly claimed that they were not responsible for the accident in transit and the money was not refunded.
This kind of treatment is not limited to Shenzhen Audio, and it seems common sense that retailers are not responsible for accidents during transportation in online sales in China.
The SMSL Web Shop Terms clearly state that.
We need to consider the risk of such an accident when ordering.
If you paid by PayPal or credit card there is always a dispute process. Other payment methods, you may be fucked =(
Never had to restort to CC chargeback but got my money back through paypal dispute a couple of times when item was lost.

isploit

If you paid by PayPal or credit card there is always a dispute process. Other payment methods, you may be fucked =(
Never had to restort to CC chargeback but got my money back through paypal dispute a couple of times when item was lost.
This!

Toku

Major Contributor
Do they use DHL?
DHL is usually quite good about tracking and general accountability.
In my case, I think it was China Post's EMS.
I ordered the product in March of last year. At that time, China was in a period when COVID-19 was in vogue.

I also use PayPal from time to time, but because of the high fees, I often pay directly with a credit card.
In addition, I have a language problem with negotiations in such cases.

curiouspeter

In my case, I think it was China Post's EMS.
I ordered the product in March of last year. At that time, China was in a period when COVID-19 was in vogue.

I also use PayPal from time to time, but because of the high fees, I often pay directly with a credit card.
In addition, I have a language problem with negotiations in such cases.
That was understandable. I would definitely use DHL or FedEx (or a company with its own fleet of aircrafts) if possible.

I bought a vinyl record from Russia last year and it took two months to get here.

Frio

If that is normal shenzhen audio business practice, it is concerning. No matter what their policy is, in many regions of the world it is up to the seller to contact their business partner, the shipping company, to find the package or pull the insurance card. You don't leave the customer hanging or it will lead to a unpleasant pr.

Schönramer

My lightning to usb 3 adapter arrived yesterday and I did a first listening session in the evening. My focus was to test the Bitrate that is going through and the subjective sound quality.

Before I start one comment regarding another try: One day before I tested a few songs using the coax input of the Gustard DAC connected to my Pioneer BDP-LX88. After some testing I was able to route SACD signals through to my amplifier but was not satisfied with the result compared to the Pioneer playing via XLR in direct mode. Subjective felt the stage was limited like narrowed and the dynamic also.

So yesterday I tried TIDAL via the USB adapter and choose one of the MQA 352.8kHz playlists that somebody else posted in this thread.
The Gustard showed OFS 352.8kHz on the display which told me that my iPhone and/or the tidal app itself did the first unfolding. The Gustard could read the signal and did „the rest“.
I also tried this with a second playlist with lower Bitrate: also here the DAC did detected right always showing OFS state. Also the Connection via Wifi was stable and the reproduction was mostly gapless. Only if I switched to often between songs sometimes a blopping noise was audible. So much for the technical side.

Now I also want to mention my very subjective experience regarding sound quality. Before I ordered the adapter I was a bit skeptical if the result would be satisfying. To be honest I was surprised very positive from the sound quality I experienced. It was a clear stage, very high resolution in all frequencies (due to I have Dynaudio Special 40 without Sub connected I cannot tell much about frequencies below 50 Hz). Also no background noise audible if there a very quite phases in a song. My Audionet SAM G2 has a very high damping factor and helps to prevent background noise as well. I felt no big differences between songs played with my CD/SACD player but I also did no direct A/B comparison this time.
Right now I do not have the feeling that I need to spend money on a streaming bridge like a Pi4 for better sound quality. Maybe it is worth a try for better usability and I might try it later.

One thing I subjectively felt was regarding songs offered in the Master-Quality that showed OFS 44.1 kHz on the screen of the DAC. I listened carefully to songs I know very very good because frequently playing these. One for example is the Face Value album from Phil Collins (2016 Remastered) songs „Droned“ and „Hand in Hand“. I heard them at least 20times as CD and my subjective feeling was that I was able to detect a little bit more details in the Master Version compared to played via CD. But on the other hand side it felt like the dynamic range was limited compared to the CD version. I also had the same feeling with other songs I know very well. Slightly more details and better stage arrangement but a bit limited dynamic. I do not know if it is because of changing two settings (DAC and source) and it will be improved if I chose a streaming bridge that let allow the Gustard to unfold the complete stream. I will further monitor this.

But I also thing it is worth trying Qobuz as well and compare there package regarding Highres to the one offered by TIDAL.

But a big thanks to @Laserjock for the hint regarding the adapter. It is a far better result then expected!

Attachments

• 510592EB-E90E-44D2-84D7-8BA1E0B66C32.jpeg
    510592EB-E90E-44D2-84D7-8BA1E0B66C32.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 32E4CC1B-5366-4CB8-930D-F21A32CBE8A9.jpeg
    32E4CC1B-5366-4CB8-930D-F21A32CBE8A9.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 237
  • C33B207C-F55C-4674-B116-88EAD51957FA.jpeg
    C33B207C-F55C-4674-B116-88EAD51957FA.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 217

Oukkidoukki

Isn’t it wierd that cd with old pioneer player can kick ass ( or at least play in same level) to the newest dac tech and mqa? We made same kind of test here and cd won everytime against tidal........in dynamics and so on...,,,,it’s kind of dissapointing.....Pi probably aint gonna change your experience.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My lightning to usb 3 adapter arrived yesterday and I did a first listening session in the evening. My focus was to test the Bitrate that is going through and the subjective sound quality.

Before I start one comment regarding another try: One day before I tested a few songs using the coax input of the Gustard DAC connected to my Pioneer BDP-LX88. After some testing I was able to route SACD signals through to my amplifier but was not satisfied with the result compared to the Pioneer playing via XLR in direct mode. Subjective felt the stage was limited like narrowed and the dynamic also.

So yesterday I tried TIDAL via the USB adapter and choose one of the MQA 352.8kHz playlists that somebody else posted in this thread.
The Gustard showed OFS 352.8kHz on the display which told me that my iPhone and/or the tidal app itself did the first unfolding. The Gustard could read the signal and did „the rest“.
I also tried this with a second playlist with lower Bitrate: also here the DAC did detected right always showing OFS state. Also the Connection via Wifi was stable and the reproduction was mostly gapless. Only if I switched to often between songs sometimes a blopping noise was audible. So much for the technical side.

Now I also want to mention my very subjective experience regarding sound quality. Before I ordered the adapter I was a bit skeptical if the result would be satisfying. To be honest I was surprised very positive from the sound quality I experienced. It was a clear stage, very high resolution in all frequencies (due to I have Dynaudio Special 40 without Sub connected I cannot tell much about frequencies below 50 Hz). Also no background noise audible if there a very quite phases in a song. My Audionet SAM G2 has a very high damping factor and helps to prevent background noise as well. I felt no big differences between songs played with my CD/SACD player but I also did no direct A/B comparison this time.
Right now I do not have the feeling that I need to spend money on a streaming bridge like a Pi4 for better sound quality. Maybe it is worth a try for better usability and I might try it later.

One thing I subjectively felt was regarding songs offered in the Master-Quality that showed OFS 44.1 kHz on the screen of the DAC. I listened carefully to songs I know very very good because frequently playing these. One for example is the Face Value album from Phil Collins (2016 Remastered) songs „Droned“ and „Hand in Hand“. I heard them at least 20times as CD and my subjective feeling was that I was able to detect a little bit more details in the Master Version compared to played via CD. But on the other hand side it felt like the dynamic range was limited compared to the CD version. I also had the same feeling with other songs I know very well. Slightly more details and better stage arrangement but a bit limited dynamic. I do not know if it is because of changing two settings (DAC and source) and it will be improved if I chose a streaming bridge that let allow the Gustard to unfold the complete stream. I will further monitor this.

But I also thing it is worth trying Qobuz as well and compare there package regarding Highres to the one offered by TIDAL.

But a big thanks to @Laserjock for the hint regarding the adapter. It is a far better result then expected!
Glad it worked out for you. Nutzer means user ?
I was thinking I had master in DAC but couldn’t say for sure.

ceausuc

Isn’t it wierd that cd with old pioneer player can kick ass ( or at least play in same level) to the newest dac tech and mqa? We made same kind of test here and cd won everytime against tidal........in dynamics and so on...,,,,it’s kind of dissapointing.....Pi probably aint gonna change your experience.

It is not that weird... a cd player is an all in one: transport+dac with very short paths between components.
In a computer + external dac setup there are many more "variables".
While - in my opinion - a computer+dac has the potential to surpass the cd player it doesn't mean that can do it easily.
(for my ears even the software players can have an impact in the final sound...)

ArturoKiwi

And you are talking a out Tidal, not a real lossles file playedfrom tour pc/Pi through foobar, daphile or similar programs

Oukkidoukki

Yes, tidal.....those others might be better.....dont know.....was shocking anyhow.....could it be live streming from the cloud that is the issue.......anyhow........quite crazy that cd from eighties and good player seem to kick high resolution file with new dac to the ass.....i thought we are out of mp3 era quality but it seems to be not so clear yet......on the otherhand streaming is the way to go.......fantastically convinient

piotr_sc

Hello gentlemen, what combination to use for the highest quality ?

Step1
Bluesound Node 2i --optical--> Gustard x16
Bluesound Node 2i --coax--> Gustard x16
Bluesound Node 2i --analogRCA--> Gustard x16

Step2 which connection will be better RCA or XLR:
Gustard x16 --RCA-->AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC RCA Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W
Gustard x16 --XLR-->AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W

Gustard has no wake up option ( Trigger in ) Is it possible to somehow set it to run together with Bluesound?

curiouspeter

Hello gentlemen, what combination to use for the highest quality ?

Step1
Bluesound Node 2i --optical--> Gustard x16
Bluesound Node 2i --coax--> Gustard x16
Bluesound Node 2i --analogRCA--> Gustard x16

Step2 which connection will be better RCA or XLR:
Gustard x16 --RCA-->AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC RCA Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W
Gustard x16 --XLR-->AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC XLR Class D Stereo Amplifier Ncore 2x250W

Gustard has no wake up option ( Trigger in ) Is it possible to somehow set it to run together with Bluesound?
Are you attached to BluOS? If not a Pi 4 using USB is a better Roon endpoint for $70.

If you don't need more than 24/96 than optical ensures electrical isolation.

Use XLR if you can.

I simply leave my X16 on all the time. Remember to set the display to Auto Off to preserve the OLED.

piotr_sc

Yes Bluesound Node 2i will be as a combine, including the Tidal MQA, and will there be a big difference in quality between RCA and XLR?

curiouspeter

Yes Bluesound Node 2i will be as a combine, including the Tidal MQA, and will there be a big difference in quality between RCA and XLR?
The node 2i will be doing the first unfold. I think the X16 only renders MQA through toslink.

XLR is usually a little cleaner. Biggest thing is ground loop mitigation, but if you are using optical anyway, it should not be a problem.

That said, I like the looks of XLR cables. So, why not use XLR if you can?

kevin1969

That was understandable. I would definitely use DHL or FedEx (or a company with its own fleet of aircrafts) if possible.

I bought a vinyl record from Russia last year and it took two months to get here.

Chernobyl Records is really slow.

piotr_sc

AUDIOPHONICS MPA-S250NC comes in 2 versions, RCA or XLR. so i think which one to choose :))

Top Bottom