• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

pbarata

Is there any advantage in paring DAC-X16 with U16 Digital converter, to improve the USB connection (source is a Raspberry Pi 4 streamer)?
Is there also any benefit to use the I2S connection from U16?

domiji

Is there any advantage in paring DAC-X16 with U16 Digital converter, to improve the USB connection (source is a Raspberry Pi 4 streamer)?
Is there also any benefit to use the I2S connection from U16?

To my experience yes it does improve the Sound.

Veri

Master Contributor

domiji

Any benefit using the I2S output with DAC-X16? There any incompatiblity issues?

Maybe this is not the Best place to ask those questions

U16 is a tricky unit. Only Firmware 1.61 NFB works well in my System. But i have no incompatibility issues anymore.

pbarata

EB1000

Does it support Roon for DSD and MQA playback with exclusive playback mode?

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does it support Roon for DSD and MQA playback with exclusive playback mode?

What do you use as a streamer? My Pi 4B (RoPieee) supports Native DSD with the X16 but my Mac can only do DoP. MQA works fine:

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 9.45.35 AM.png

DSD works too:

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 9.47.20 AM.png

Veri

Master Contributor
May I conclude that any improvement in sound using U16 is not due the benefits, if any, of using the I2S connection, but with the way how USB signal is rebuild and relocked within U16?
I can't think of any reason why the on-board reclocking would not suffice :) there's some DAPs, sources and Pi Hats that output I2S where it might make sense, buying an I2S interface just for it is pretty non-sensical.

EB1000

What do you use as a streamer? My Pi 4B (RoPieee) supports Native DSD with the X16 but my Mac can only do DoP. MQA works fine:

View attachment 116053

DSD works too:

View attachment 116054

I have a Pi 4B too. Currently running Volumio and connected via HDMI to my NAD C658. I'm looking for a USB DAC solution, but not sure if connecting it to the analog input on the C658 is a good idea as it will get re-digitized with a lower quality ACD then back to analog again with even a lower quality DAC. I can try the analog bypass mode on the C658, but that will bypass Dirac live as well... If I could find a remoted operated balanced audio selector, so I can switch the power amp between the C658 and the USB DAC, it should solve all my problems...

curiouspeter

I have a Pi 4B too. Currently running Volumio and connected via HDMI to my NAD C658. I'm looking for a USB DAC solution, but not sure if connecting it to the analog input on the C658 is a good idea as it will get re-digitized with a lower quality ACD then back to analog again with even a lower quality DAC. I can try the analog bypass mode on the C658, but that will bypass Dirac live as well... If I could find a remoted operated balanced audio selector, so I can switch the power amp between the C658 and the USB DAC, it should solve all my problems...

I do Room Correction in Roon. As you can see, I have an 8 band PEQ. It works on DSD streams too. I only have a NAS Roon Core but I can still manage native DSD processing at 64x speed.

Using an XLR selector will bypass Dirac too. What's the benefit of that over analog bypass?

Frio

Since it doesn't turn off after a while I put it with the amp on a master/slave connected to the pc. Sometimes when I turn everything off and back on again the dac is on but plays no sound and the display shows 'locked' state, is there a way to turn this feature off?

EB1000

I do Room Correction in Roon. As you can see, I have an 8 band PEQ. It works on DSD streams too. I only have a NAS Roon Core but I can still manage native DSD processing at 64x speed.

Using an XLR selector will bypass Dirac too. What's the benefit of that over analog bypass?

The C658 has only RCA analog inputs. I don't think Roon based room correction is comparable to Dirac Live. I wonder if Dirac Live Desktop version can be used with Roon? I know it works well with Jriver

curiouspeter

The C658 has only RCA analog inputs. I don't think Roon based room correction is comparable to Dirac Live. I wonder if Dirac Live Desktop version can be used with Roon? I know it works well with Jriver
Roon-based room correction is not as good as Dirac but it is good enough for me as a trade off. I doubt you can run Dirac Live with Roon. You can check out Roon's community forum.

It may be that the C658 will work out better. Why are you looking to get a USB DAC?

EB1000

Roon-based room correction is not as good as Dirac but it is good enough for me as a trade off. I doubt you can run Dirac Live with Roon. You can check out Roon's community forum.

It may be that the C658 will work out better. Why are you looking to get a USB DAC?

I have many DSD512 files I've copied from a friend who got them from TracksHD. I'm not a big fan of DSD, but curious to test those files, and it's not possible with the C658 w/o offline conversion to 24bit/96kHz FLAC.

curiouspeter

I have many DSD512 files I've copied from a friend who got them from TracksHD. I'm not a big fan of DSD, but curious to test those files, and it's not possible with the C658 w/o offline conversion to 24bit/96kHz FLAC.

In that case room correction is pretty much out the window anyway. The DSD will probably be converted to PCM. If not, you will need a really powerful computer to DSP DSD512 streams natively.

I think the analog bypass (if it really bypasses A/D and D/A, including digital volume control) in your C658 is your best bet. XLR switches are fine too. I use a speaker-level switch but without a remote.

Note that you probably will not be able to drive a USB DAC from a Mac to get DSD512 before you need Native DSD (using ASIO/ALSA). DoP does not usually go that high.

I recommend using headphones for higher-rate DSD files and skip all DSP including room correction.

RobStar

This is a review and detailed measurements of the just announced Gustard X16 Balanced USB DAC with hardware decoding. It was kindly sent to me for testing by SHENZHENAUDIO. The X16 costs US $499.

The X16 is based on the new ESS ES9068AS DAC which has built-in hardware decoding of MQA bitstream. Until now, this was performed upstream of the DAC but now the functionality is core to the DAC chip itself.

The X16 has a solid feel to it but doesn't distinguish itself from other desktop DACs:

View attachment 92496

While a remote control is provided, navigation is easy enough using the rotary control and center button. I like the informative display but as with other Gustard products, I question showing the volume level in such tiny letters. It needs to be center and large with the sample rate shown small.

Back panel shows the usual connection including Bluetooth:

View attachment 92497

Like the nice gold plated connectors.

Gustard X16 Measurements
Let's open the show with our usual dashboard:
View attachment 92498

Wow! I must say, I did not know in advance they were shooting for the moon this way. This is superb performance in a $500 package, placing the X16 second in the list of all DACs tested ever:
View attachment 92499

Here is our top 10 list:

View attachment 92500

So little separates these DACs from each other.

Here is the performance of the RCA output:

View attachment 92501

In both cases, full audible transparency is achieved and then some. Sum of noise+distortion is well below the self-noise of our ears.

Signal to noise ratio is wonderful:

View attachment 92502

If you have noise in your system, this is NOT the place to look!

Intermodulation distortion vs level shows a bit of our famous "ESS IMD Hump" which we discovered two years ago:
View attachment 92503

Shame on ESS for not helping its licensees solve this issue across the board. Fortunately the impact here is very small and it really shows up because the system noise floor is so low.

Jitter and spurious tones are almost nonexistent (difficult in a low noise DAC) and this is even true of Coax input which these days is typically neglected:
View attachment 92504

Intermodulation distortion using our 32-tone test is extremely low:
View attachment 92644

THD+N versus frequency where a lot of DACs fail is excellent as well:
View attachment 92506

This is partially due to good filtering of which only three are available:
View attachment 92508

Did ESS take out the other options or did Gustard? Either way, it is fine by me. I used L Fast for my testing by the way. Default is M Slow I think. Wonder if that is also the MQA filter?

Linearity which is a test of accuracy was the most perfect I have seen:
View attachment 92509

This thing glued itself to the 0 dB error line like nobody's business!

Conclusions
The Gustard X16 comes in an unassuming package making you think you have bought a mid-priced DAC. But looks are deceiving as it produces some of the best measurements I have seen out of some 350+ DACs I have tested! Talk about getting ready to battle with the best of the best. Yes, there is a hint of ESS IMD Hump but it is not excessive enough for me to worry about it although I hope they look at eliminating this.

It is my pleasure to strongly recommend the Gustard X16 MQA DAC.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Indeed this DAC is awesome but, how does one turn it off?

Markee

Hello! Currently I have Topping L30+E30. I like them, but I'm thinking about to upgrade in the future, but I'm not sure if it's worth or not. This X16 seems to be the perfect step up (MQA support, balanced). What do you think X16 can provide audible difference? As for the AMP side I'm thinking between H16 and A90. Thanks!

Top Bottom