• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What if you turn off Force Volume?
I just tried. Once I turned off exclusive mode, I can adjust Tidal and laptop master volume up and I can now get much higher volume for E30. Interesting that I don't think I need to do that for Tidal Master songs.

Thanks!

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just tried. Once I turned off exclusive mode, I can adjust Tidal and laptop master volume up and I can now get much higher volume for E30. Interesting that I don't think I need to do that for Tidal Master songs.

Thanks!
Strange... You probably do want Exclusive Mode though. Is the digital volume control on the E30 set correctly?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Strange... You probably do want Exclusive Mode though. Is the digital volume control on the E30 set correctly?
Yeah, I have set it at -15.5db. X16 is at -15db. I do this to match their volume within 0.2db when I am catching their output for measurement comparisons. I have used Audacity to play CD quality song and both DAC behave as expected. I have tried Node2i to play CD quality song and both DAC behave as expected. Something strange with Tidal app on Windows 10.

curiouspeter

Yeah, I have set it at -15.5db. X16 is at -15db. I do this to match their volume within 0.2db when I am catching their output for measurement comparisons. I have used Audacity to play CD quality song and both DAC behave as expected. I have tried Node2i to play CD quality song and both DAC behave as expected. Something strange with Tidal app on Windows 10.
Yeah, sometimes apps can be funky with some settings, especially when they try to compensate that and that under various conditions.

I don't like the native Tidal/Qobuz apps. I would stick with Audacity/Audirvana/Roon or a dedicated streamer like the Node 2i or RPi.

joseG86

I love this DAC. I wanna take it on a date :cool:
But please, remember:

1614100797384.png

Joaquinín

Hi everybody. Just wanted to share that I am very happy with this new dac. Much improved sound over my previous Meridian Explorer 2. Much cleaner, astonishing see-through the soundscape. After the first 2-3 weeks of use, I started to upsample everything to 32 bits/352/384 with Audirvana (SoX, linear phase) and NOS at the X16: I think the sound is even better, with fuller tone in acoustic instruments. Upsampling to 704/768 also works, but a low level very high frequency sound starts, so I had to step down. I guess it is caused by the PC (too heavy load for it), but I am not certain.
I am using RCA out > amp (APPJ PA0901A) > Tekton speakers (nearfield). I am using also Dirac Live and Gustard USB 5.0 driver.

curiouspeter

Hi everybody. Just wanted to share that I am very happy with this new dac. Much improved sound over my previous Meridian Explorer 2. Much cleaner, astonishing see-through the soundscape. After the first 2-3 weeks of use, I started to upsample everything to 32 bits/352/384 with Audirvana (SoX, linear phase) and NOS at the X16: I think the sound is even better, with fuller tone in acoustic instruments. Upsampling to 704/768 also works, but a low level very high frequency sound starts, so I had to step down. I guess it is caused by the PC (too heavy load for it), but I am not certain.
I am using RCA out > amp (APPJ PA0901A) > Tekton speakers (nearfield). I am using also Dirac Live and Gustard USB 5.0 driver.
Perhaps I should try but I'm not sure if Roon is smart enough not to upsample decoded and DSP-ed MQA files.

I wonder of NOS will affect DSD files as well.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps I should try but I'm not sure if Roon is smart enough not to upsample decoded and DSP-ed MQA files.

I cant recall the order it does it in, but it will upsample an MQA decode with DSP applied. From memory it decodes, upsamples the result then EQs it

(EDIT- if you set roon to do the first MQA unfold of course- not sure what it does if you set Roon to just pass the undecoded, still folded MQA file)

JohnM-73

Very tempted to order one of these as a secondary Dac, but a little concerned about the fact audio gear ordered from China to the UK is often specced at 230V. The voltage around here at least (Hampshire, UK) is often around 247V, and I’m concerned about whether this high a voltage might be damaging to this Dac?

P.S. The measurements look incredible. Particularly that linearity! Would love to hear it in a properly setup dbt with the Mola Mola and Chord Dave. I’m sure there’d be little/no audible difference, but I’d still be intrigued... IF only I had access to all three!

Last edited:

curiouspeter

Very tempted to order one of these as a secondary Dac, but a little concerned about the fact audio gear ordered from China to the UK is often specced at 230V. The voltage around here at least (Hampshire, UK) is often around 247V, and I’m concerned about whether this high a voltage might be damaging to this Dac?

P.S. The measurements look incredible. Particularly that linearity! Would love to hear it in a properly setup dbt with the Mola Mola and Chord Dave. I’m sure there’d be little/no audible difference, but I’d still be intrigued... IF only I had access to all three!

What about something like this?

https://www.apc.com/shop/uk/en/products/Line-R-1200VA-Automatic-Voltage-Regulator/P-LE1200I

curiouspeter

Does anyone know if the volume wheel on the X16 is plastic or metal? It does have a high-quality feel.

I mostly use it to wake the display (auto off) by turning it clockwise.

joseG86

Does anyone know if the volume wheel on the X16 is plastic or metal? It does have a high-quality feel.

I mostly use it to wake the display (auto off) by turning it clockwise.
Hi, it is plastic, it is quality feel but you won't probably use it because of the remote :D

raif71

Major Contributor
1614247679199.png

This is from the manual, guys, how are your settings especially the pcm filter and NOS mode?

Top Bottom