• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So I had a similar issue while using exclusive mode on Tidal and Amazon music, where the x16 will cut out and stutter. I was able to resolve this by changing the latency in the X16's driver settings. The issue I ran into was that the latency setting for tidal did not match the latency setting for Amazon music. After a ton of frustration I figured out that if I disabled the setting in windows for allow exclusive apps to have priority, that it fixed all the problems with Tidal, and 80% of the problems with Amazon. Since Amazon music doesn't have a true exclusive mode I just leave it off on Amazon, Unless I have all other windows capable of playing sound turned off. This isn't so much an issue with the X16 as it is an issue with exclusive mode. All my other DACs were cutting out whenever you enabled exclusive mode in any streamer. It doesn't seem to want to play nicely with other windows that can play sound like YouTube. Disabling that setting in windows will fix most of your issues with exclusive mode though.

I have given up on Amazon music. It is very cheap for Prime members but it does not have the best quality (Qobuz), nor the best selection (Spotify), nor the best integration (Qobuz and Tidal with Roon/Audirvana), nor the best audio implementation (no real exclusive mode).

And why can't I download CD quality music from Amazon? It seems all purchases are at MP3 quality.

Looking to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZWGWD5R/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til
Not paying $80 for a CD on ebay.

Fjfjsh

Amazon music does have quite a bit of growing to do before is fully mature, but like you said its cheap for prime members. I also like the fact that the offer FLAC up to 192khz (that if found so far) for Amazon Music HD. I get Tidal free through my phone company which is why I'm using it. I can say amazon offers more selection of they type of music that I listen to, often in a higher bitrate than Tidal does. I really wish they would fix their exclusive mode but other than that I cant say I have any issues with their audio quality.

Dannemand

I think mines a problem with volume control and TIDAL. Because when I have a volume bar in Tidal it works flawless, but when I have Force Volume ticked it bugs out randomly.
You need to enable fixed volume (max volume) in Tidal, otherwise it'll break MQA. That could cause hiccups in sound as MQA locks and unlocks, each time switching filters and other internal DAC gears.

Of course many other things could be going on and be the bigger cause. I can't see how your mouse would affect this. But max volume is a must if you're playing MQA, so at least set that.

Edit: On second thought, I'm pretty sure you have a hardware problem (PC, USB port, cable, DAC). If the problem disappears when you enable Tidal software volume, that's probably just because you are permanently breaking MQA, so the DAC doesn't switch into MQA on and off mid-track. It could also be a latency problem caused by other things on the PC, as pointed out.

Last edited:

ninetylol

You need to enable fixed volume (max volume) in Tidal, otherwise it'll break MQA. That could cause hiccups in sound as MQA locks and unlocks, each time switching filters and other internal DAC gears.

Of course many other things could be going on and be the bigger cause. I can't see how your mouse would affect this. But max volume is a must if you're playing MQA, so at least set that.
I know that, somehow its working exactly opposite as intended. Fixed volume bugs it out. I will. Do more testing tomorrow. Hopefully its really a software problem and not a problem of the DAC itself.

Dannemand

I know that, somehow its working exactly opposite as intended. Fixed volume bugs it out. I will. Do more testing tomorrow. Hopefully its really a software problem and not a problem of the DAC itself.
I realized that after posting. I inserted an edit in my post. It makes sense to me now.

SDX-LV

A lot of people here seem to have ordered stuff from HiFiGo.
Can someone confirm that they actually do send to "Europe (with all tax & duty paid)"? I mean EU, for example Sweden.

There is a massive difference if the price they show in the store is final or I need to pay 25% more. To me it looks too good to be true.
Thanks.

kevin1969

This is a bit concerning. Does it mean the X16 is sensitive to USB? Perhaps we need USB purifiers, audiophile cables and $5000 streamers after all...

In hours of testing, my signal chain stuttered twice, each for about 1 second. I have not started to trace down the issue. It could be Wi-Fi as my home is flooded with em waves, though this has not happened before.

My dishwasher broke. So I bought a new AVR that had better SINAD. Totally killed two birds with one stone!

joseG86

Can someone confirm that they actually do send to "Europe (with all tax & duty paid)"? I mean EU, for example Sweden.

There is a massive difference if the price they show in the store is final or I need to pay 25% more. To me it looks too good to be true.
Thanks.
I paid 413€ tax included + 28 customs and got it to Spain in less than 5 days (Shenzen)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
With USB it doesnt matter if i check or uncheck it. Its always full decoding (Display MQA in Display) then but sometimes stuttering and showing PCM in display for a second or so.

Yeh thats the problem i have i guess, using Tidal though. Since my last DAC did not have MQA functions, it couldnt stutter there i guess.
i have tidal too did the same,thought it was a bandwidth issue,but i did something simple that i can't recall to fix it.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I have given up on Amazon music. It is very cheap for Prime members but it does not have the best quality (Qobuz), nor the best selection (Spotify), nor the best integration (Qobuz and Tidal with Roon/Audirvana), nor the best audio implementation (no real exclusive mode).

And why can't I download CD quality music from Amazon? It seems all purchases are at MP3 quality.

if it's a rare cd,you have no choice

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It shouldn't be, as I'm able to buy the MP3 version. I got much rather CDs for less.

I agree. This always frustrated me. As does the opposite, when they sell the CD cheaper than the MP3 version.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
It shouldn't be, as I'm able to buy the MP3 version. I got much rather CDs for less.
Don't know how you getting it for less,it's not being produced anymore.Comcast owns the label now,write them and see if they will press one for you,or check this site
https://www.discogs.com/artist/621292-You-The-Explosion-Band
https://www.discogs.com/You-The-Explosion-Band-ルパン三世-The-First-Original-Soundtrack/release/14491973
Brand New that ablum/cd/blu ray disk is $74
https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/1244464404

Last edited:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
As does the opposite, when they sell the CD cheaper than the MP3 version.
Mind you, having physical media floating around may be seen as a burden by many folks these days. I've run out of space more than once myself. If I am not overly attached to the release and they're about the same in price I'll often tend towards the MP3. But if the CD is 6€ and change and the MP3 is 11.99€, well...

I'm only using Amazon for convenience reasons. They support SEPA bank drafts (and several other local forms of payment), smart move on their part. Most everywhere else it's credit card, credit card, credit card. It is not uncommon not to have one of those around these parts, and yours truly is no exception.

Sorting out my international payment options was my new year's resolution for 2021. I certainly wouldn't mind buying from Bandcamp and stuff.

curiouspeter

Mind you, having physical media floating around may be seen as a burden by many folks these days. I've run out of space more than once myself. If I am not overly attached to the release and they're about the same in price I'll often tend towards the MP3. But if the CD is 6€ and change and the MP3 is 11.99€, well...

I'm only using Amazon for convenience reasons. They support SEPA bank drafts (and several other local forms of payment), smart move on their part. Most everywhere else it's credit card, credit card, credit card. It is not uncommon not to have one of those around these parts, and yours truly is no exception.

Sorting out my international payment options was my new year's resolution for 2021. I certainly wouldn't mind buying from Bandcamp and stuff.
I only use a CD exactly once, which is a secure bit-perfect rip verified on AccurateRip. I would definitely prefer downloading FLAC or DSF files, depending on the type of music. MP3 is just not very good.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor

Amazon Music HD is not too bad. One thing I find out is that it's *very* loud when playing the latest pop music in exclusive mode.

curiouspeter

Amazon Music HD is not too bad. One thing I find out is that it's *very* loud when playing the latest pop music in exclusive mode.

A lot of people think louder is better, I guess. :)

The worst thing about Amazon Music is the level of integration. Tidal and Qobuz can be used on Roon/Audirvana/UAPP but Amazon is mostly closed. It does work with Sonos, BluOS, Play-Fi, and MusicCast, but among those Sonos is the only app I am willing to use.

dan kolov

You might as well try and check your computer latency / DPC with this program Latency Monitor it will tell you the highest DPC count so that you can identify which is the program causing the problem when you play audio/MQA files, clicks, pops, etc

There's also bios stuff related to CPU power and overclocking that can cause "problems" like C-States as the audio playback doesn't need any CPU power it will think you're doing nothing/IDLE and the clock/voltage will go lower causing the issue so try as well in control panel > power options to always use "high performance" specially if you're using a laptop

Also disabling internal audio controller from the BIOS and of course, use the latest drivers for the Gustard X16 5.0.0 version found here

If you already tried all these stuff let me know, there are 3 or 4 things more to try
You can try, increase Buffer to avoid stuttering.

Attachments

• _dsf5435.jpg
    _dsf5435.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 106

Morla

Forum Donor

to germany using "all tax and duty" option. Confirmed.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

I reached the crunch point on CDs just like you said a couple of years ago. So I ripped everything to FLAC (what a chore, about 2000 discs including CD singles) and decided for the price of one or 2 CDs a month, go for lossless streaming (I was buying easily 3+CDs a month). Buying MP3 seemed similarly daft at that point when there wasnt a great price break over CD.

Enter Roon and the ability to merge my rarer ripped CDs not yet on streaming with my streaming "library" (Qobuz at the minute). Nearly perfect , but annoyingly there are probably still one or 2 releases a month not on any streaming service (Qobuz seems the worst of the lot for that) that I "have" to buy - usually from Bandcamp. But lets bear in mind I am probably adding 4 or 5 releases a week to my collection on streaming.

Im still up on the deal financially even with Roon fees and streaming fees compared to my old CD purchasing and definitely compared to the amount of releases I now "get" via streaming. How the world has changed

Top Bottom