• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Pankar0

Hello guys, I m planning to order the x16 and I want to ask you if someone testing with the app Usb Audio player pro .. via usb otg cable?? Any issues.??
My only source for now is my Samsung Note 20 ultra smartphone and I m listening mostly Tidal mqa with the ifi idsd signature.
Please someone to check it for me ..
Thanks in advance.

cbayschm

Forum Donor
Hello guys, I m planning to order the x16 and I want to ask you if someone testing with the app Usb Audio player pro .. via usb otg cable?? Any issues.??
My only source for now is my Samsung Note 20 ultra smartphone and I m listening mostly Tidal mqa with the ifi idsd signature.
Please someone to check it for me ..
Thanks in advance.

I just tested it out. With USB Audio Player Pro, no problem, tested with DSD64, PCM 44.1k, PCM 96k, PCM 192k, and Tidal MQA. 352.8K, no issues.

But through the Tidal app, it was going through the phone audio driver which manages volume, so couldn't get MQA to work. I didn't find any place in the Tidal app to make volume fixed. I have been using Tidal through Roon, so don't know how to use the Tidal phone app.

But if you use Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro, it works like a charm.

Pankar0

I just tested it out. With USB Audio Player Pro, no problem, tested with DSD64, PCM 44.1k, PCM 96k, PCM 192k, and Tidal MQA. 352.8K, no issues.

But through the Tidal app, it was going through the phone audio driver which manages volume, so couldn't get MQA to work. I didn't find any place in the Tidal app to make volume fixed. I have been using Tidal through Roon, so don't know how to use the Tidal phone app.

But if you use Tidal through USB Audio Player Pro, it works like a charm.

Thank you very much for your help, I don't care about Tidal app.. I m only use the UAPP... so I m going to ordered.

boblo

Hi guys,
The first 'non-ASR' review of X16 is here!

Note that the review claims that the X16 does not come with a power cable!! This is most likely a mistake, isn't it?

I want to buy it, but I'd rather wait for it to go on sale on Amazon. When??? OMG... can't wait!! :eek:

Nationalizer

Hi guys,

Note that the review claims that the X16 does not come with a power cable!! This is most likely a mistake, isn't it?

Mine arrives tomorrow. I can tell you guys tomorrow if it comes with a power cable or not :)

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Hi guys,

I want to buy it, but I'd rather wait for it to go on sale on Amazon. When??? OMG... can't wait!! :eek:
Ain't going on sale on Amazon, just buy it, it's a fair price.

vcl0124

I have a question about the phase invert function. I am pairing X16 with the Audiophonics.fr NC252mp XLR amp. Should I enable phase invert (Europe standard 1:GND/2:-ve/3:+ve according to the manual). What if I set it wrong? Will it damage the amp?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have a question about the phase invert function. I am pairing X16 with the Audiophonics.fr NC252mp XLR amp. Should I enable phase invert (Europe standard 1:GND/2:-ve/3:+ve according to the manual). What if I set it wrong? Will it damage the amp?
It won't damage the amp. And you likely won't tell the difference whether it's inverted or not. You can just try it. But I'm afraid nothing would be conclusive unless you measure it.

domiji

I've ordered a stack of X16 and H16 today and i am really excited how it would sound :-D

Pankar0

I've ordered a stack of X16 and H16 today and i am really excited how it would sound :-D
Yesterday I m thinking the same but finally I place the order only for the X16 and I decide to go with the Schiit jotunheim 2 amp...

domiji

Sounds like a great combo.

Sadly the Schiit stuff is pretty rare here in Europe and i don't want to order in the US.
And of course i like the look of the Gustard stack as well :-D

Pankar0

Sounds like a great combo.

Sadly the Schiit stuff is pretty rare here in Europe and i don't want to order in the US.
And of course i like the look of the Gustard stack as well :-D
I m living in Europe (Greece) and I m taking the risk to order from US (it s about 470€ with taxes and customs fees) . I read very good things about this amp.. I don't want another clinical amp. The Jot 2 I read is to the warm side and has full body presentation and I think it s a great combo with the x16 and my Clear's & Arya's.
If anyone here have this combo maybe want to tell as his thoughts.

Moonhead

I m living in Europe (Greece) and I m taking the risk to order from US (it s about 470€ with taxes and customs fees) . I read very good things about this amp.. I don't want another clinical amp. The Jot 2 I read is to the warm side and has full body presentation and I think it s a great combo with the x16 and my Clear's & Arya's.
If anyone here have this combo maybe want to tell as his thoughts.

You can order that Schiit from Netherlands.

https://www.schiit-europe.com/product/jotunheim-configurable-balanced-desktop-headamp-preamp-2/

Top Bottom