• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

gustard

Audio Company
Thank you for this very useful reply. After some playing and experimenting with it, I have realised there may have been an element of 'user ignorance' - Your useful post and my own research and experimentation has confirmed that I think it is behaving exactly as it is meant to.

One limitation of my setup is that when using the Bluesound Node 2i as my streaming 'source' device, this will only output the signal to an external DAC over either Coaxial or Optical TOSlink. As the X16 will only do the full decode and render over USB, if I enable MQA external DAC in the Node 2i the file does not get processed by the DAC. So I have to turn back on the MQA processing in the Node 2i, and send the signal to the DAC for the rendering (the Bluesound does the first 'unfold' of the MQA signal as it were). As far as I can see this is no major issue, other than not allowing the Gustard X16 to handle all of the MQA stages, and it only does the 2+3 unfold/render stages.

When using the MacBook, I send the full signal unprocessed to the X16 and it displays 'MQA' along with the appropriate original sample rate of the file.

Question however: When using the X16 to process signals from the Bluesound (as detailed above), the absolute maximum displayed on the X16 for sample rate is 96Khz - This is because this is the most the Bluesound can send and is a constraint of the device. I assume however that when the Gustard X16 does the 2+3 unfold the final rate will be a multiple of this, due to the subsequent unfolding process of the MQA processing? Am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks again for your help.
When OSF xxxKHz appears on the screen, the sample rate will be displayed as the sample rate of the file before MQA compression. The sampling rate can vary between 44.1-384k (determined by the file before compression) and does not depend on the sampling rate during transmission.
OFS.jpg

joseG86

I don't have the D90,I have the DX7 pro A90 combo,to me the H16 X16 combo sounds better,just my opinion

Thank you for this offer. I'm very curious as in how exactly you find it superior to D90 as I'm also considering both.
It would be very helpful to me if you could specify the sonic differences you believe to hear and then do a controlled blind test to verify.

I can't imagine anybody can benefit from any type of comparison between the X16 and D90 unless it is simply about features and how they are implemented. The data shows both are completely audibly transparent so one cannot perform better than the other.

They are both amazing I can't deny that but I find the X16 giving a musical spark that D90 cannot provide to my ears. I tried both with Topping A90, Schiit Valhalla 2 and Loxjie P20 with 5670W tubes and X16 always wins. My gear is the Focal Clear and Hifiman Arya.

Then we have the NOS mode in X16 which I don't really like but with very old music or bad recordings it shines.

I am no real expert but I trust my ears, been listening to music my whole life and I know what I like. Both D90 and X16 are amazing devices so I recommended both of them.

Cheers!

dmac6419

Major Contributor
They are both amazing I can't deny that but I find the X16 giving a musical spark that D90 cannot provide to my ears. I tried both with Topping A90, Schiit Valhalla 2 and Loxjie P20 with 5670W tubes and X16 always wins. My gear is the Focal Clear and Hifiman Arya.

Then we have the NOS mode in X16 which I don't really like but with very old music or bad recordings it shines.

I am no real expert but I trust my ears, been listening to music my whole life and I know what I like. Both D90 and X16 are amazing devices so I recommended both of them.

Cheers!
I concur

randyle

When OSF xxxKHz appears on the screen, the sample rate will be displayed as the sample rate of the file before MQA compression. The sampling rate can vary between 44.1-384k (determined by the file before compression) and does not depend on the sampling rate during transmission.
View attachment 110869
Hi, I'm new here and new to this Gustard brand as well. For first and foremost, please forgive me if I sound a bit too forwarding.

I have a similar setup (Node2i & Mac as streamers and this Gustard as DAC). I have tried several ways to play Tidal MQA: signal sent from Node to Gustard via coax/optical or Tidal app on Mac to dac via USB. I have never been able to have MQA displayed on Gustard. Honestly I'm not even sure if Gustard will display MQA. As above post, it seemed to do just that for @axeman. Am I missing something?

boblo

Cheers!
Do you hear a noise if you first turn on the X16 before your amp when using the RCA outputs?

joseG86

Do you hear a noise if you first turn on the X16 before your amp when using the RCA outputs?
Just tried that out, I hear a noise for about 200 miliseconds then goes away. Clean sound from RCA.

Pankar0

Cheers!
Hello I want to ask you if you only peak one of x16
D90
Smsl su-9

A want to hear your opinion

I aslo have the Clear's the Arya's the Loxjie p20 and I have on the road the Schiit Jotunheim 2...

I try to choose one from these dacs...
I m listen mostly mqa tidal via UAPP from my smartphone.
TIA.

joseG86

Hello I want to ask you if you only peak one of x16
D90
Smsl su-9

A want to hear your opinion

I aslo have the Clear's the Arya's the Loxjie p20 and I have on the road the Schiit Jotunheim 2...

I try to choose one from these dacs...
I m listen mostly mqa tidal via UAPP from my smartphone.
TIA.
Honestly, any of those 3 will satisfy your needs as those 3 Dacs are amazing.

As for me, I had the D90 non MQA and know I have MQA with the X16, I also wanted to try the SMSL SU-9, I liked the idea of color sound filters etc but it might be placebo so I discarded it and now I have Sabre and Velvet profile to choose.

Anything you pick you will get amazing sound out of it ^^

Regards

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Ugh, I hope that this community doesn't become like head-fi where people believe they can hear differences in DACs, yet refuse to test. Statements like "I trust my ears" means you are very likely to waste money, a lot of money in this hobby. Not trying to be mean but the X16 is not going to sound more musical than the D90. What the heck does that even mean? If you can't absolutely describe what the differences are and also relate those to technical explanations for it, there is a great chance your mind is playing tricks on you. Head-fi is a the best place for the I don't need evidence hobbyist, and no problem there, if that is your thing great, enjoy things your way.

I can barely stand head-fi anymore. The members there are very, very nice, and they love the hobby and sharing their passion, but some of the most ridiculous things I have ever read come from there. I just left a thread where some member was talking about how he dropped mega bucks on cables and treatments that he and his wife both thought made great differences, all of his friends agreed as well, and to top it off he noted how the salesman at the audio shop where he bought everything complimented his ability to detect these magic differences. The poster believed that these ridiculous endorsements constituted evidence of audible improvements. A fool and their money is soon parted as they say. I know that is harsh, and I don't imagine the person is a fool, just highly suggestible.

Anyway, I do greatly prefer far less subjective content, although I do realize it is hard to avoid some and I even enjoy some myself. But please, no claims of more musical sounding without a real explanation for what that means and what design aspects of the device could possibly produce the results. Then ideally, some evidence to support the claim. Rant over.

joseG86

5.jpg
See how they all look similar but they're definitely not. This hobby costs a lot you're right, we might give oppinions based on subjectivity and not "real" stuff but feelings can only be described. If every gear sounded the same then only 1 should be out. No trolling just my opinion.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Absolutely mate, enjoy the hobby your way, you have the right, but this is first and foremost a community where evidence is preferred so we tend to encourage it rather than discourage it. Head-fi is a community where they discourage talk of evidence. I do not speak for the whole community here of course and I am sure that Amir would prefer a community where all are welcomed and respected.

joseG86

Absolutely mate, enjoy the hobby your way, you have the right, but this is first and foremost a community where evidence is preferred so we tend to encourage it rather than discourage it. Head-fi is a community where they discourage talk of evidence. I do not speak for the whole community here of course and I am sure that Amir would prefer a community where all are welcomed and respected.
Respect among and above all, I love this forum just want to help with my humble oppinions <3

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
we might give oppinions based on subjectivity and not "real" stuff but feelings can only be described.

That's the thing...

The feelings come from the music.

You are absolutely right. There is a lot of money spent on the hobby, and here we really try to separate the parts that can matter to the sound, and what really can't. Beyond some point, well exceeded by these DAC's, differences are vanishingly small, to the extent that so far no one has actually shown these differences you describe, if the listening process controls for volume and sight.

Would you be interested in seeing whether the differences you describe are still there if you don't know which is playing, and they are at very closely matched levels? That would be most welcome. I know when I did it, it was very humbling. Most don't bother because they are so sure they don't need to...

We are trying to save (more) people money, by cutting through much of the nonsense in the hi-fi world.

Most would be better off buying a calibrated mic than another DAC.

All are welcome, but that doesn't mean misonceptions or seemingly extraordinary claims aren't going to be challenged. ;)

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Ugh, I hope that this community doesn't become like head-fi where people believe they can hear differences in DACs, yet refuse to test. Statements like "I trust my ears" means you are very likely to waste money, a lot of money in this hobby. Not trying to be mean but the X16 is not going to sound more musical than the D90. What the heck does that even mean? If you can't absolutely describe what the differences are and also relate those to technical explanations for it, there is a great chance your mind is playing tricks on you. Head-fi is a the best place for the I don't need evidence hobbyist, and no problem there, if that is your thing great, enjoy things your way.

I can barely stand head-fi anymore. The members there are very, very nice, and they love the hobby and sharing their passion, but some of the most ridiculous things I have ever read come from there. I just left a thread where some member was talking about how he dropped mega bucks on cables and treatments that he and his wife both thought made great differences, all of his friends agreed as well, and to top it off he noted how the salesman at the audio shop where he bought everything complimented his ability to detect these magic differences. The poster believed that these ridiculous endorsements constituted evidence of audible improvements. A fool and their money is soon parted as they say. I know that is harsh, and I don't imagine the person is a fool, just highly suggestible.

Anyway, I do greatly prefer far less subjective content, although I do realize it is hard to avoid some and I even enjoy some myself. But please, no claims of more musical sounding without a real explanation for what that means and what design aspects of the device could possibly produce the results. Then ideally, some evidence to support the claim. Rant over.
I thought E30 is basically a D90 without XLR?

I have E30 and X16. As mentioned previously in this thread, my first impression with my headphones setup is that X16 can do amazing bass. E30 can't get that amazing bass before the highs get too harsh.

My measurements (my multimeter is not accurate, but consistent) show that at normal listening level, E30 has more voltage energies at >5khz.

Edit: And I see strange lower voltage at 2Khz for x16 too....

KTB_E30_X16_capture.PNG.png

Last edited:

nerekan

Estimated Delivery Date> March 15th(((
the parcel was sent through 4PX Express, a week passed, during this time, the parcel from Shenzhen reached Hong Kong from there flew to Singapore.
X16 is moving away from me!?! lol baby, this is LOGISTICS )))

gofry

Folks,
Quick update: my x16 is going back. Tried on multiple systems. From super highend to entry level denon stereo and my yamaha avr. The sound is the same cr4p. No soundstage, no detail, singer waaaay in the back. The whole thing sounds as if I’ve thrown a curtain on the loudspeakers.
it can be a faulty unit for sure from audiophonics..but if not...I’d rather trust my ears va sinad.

asked an m2tech young mk3 in loan..the 2.5-3x the price of the gustard but oh booy that thing sound amazing.
And yup it is going through the analog inputs of the yamaha -which are measured as crap in case of the 1080 ;)..I digress here-

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Folks,
Quick update: my x16 is going back. Tried on multiple systems. From super highend to entry level denon stereo and my yamaha avr. The sound is the same cr4p. No soundstage, no detail, singer waaaay in the back. The whole thing sounds as if I’ve thrown a curtain on the loudspeakers.
it can be a faulty unit for sure from audiophonics..but if not...I’d rather trust my ears va sinad.

asked an m2tech young mk3 in loan..the 2.5-3x the price of the gustard but oh booy that thing sound amazing.
And yup it is going through the analog inputs of the yamaha -which are measured as crap in case of the 1080 ;)..I digress here-
Sorry to hear that. Maybe indeed you got a defective one. I tried your first test song and found that Live In Prague sounds amazing with my setup.

gofry

Sorry to hear that. Maybe indeed you got a defective one. I tried your first test song and found that Live In Prague sounds amazing with my setup.
:( yeah...kinda hesitant if I want to try out A18 or even SMSL M400..or just buy something not chi-fi :(

Top Bottom