• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Pankar0

Hello guys, I I'm interested to bought the x16 over the smsl su-9... but I want to ask you something ...
I listen only Tidal music mostly MQA, my source is my Samsung smartphone ... so I plan to connect the smartphone via otg cable to usb input of x16.. using the app UAPP... with this connection the x16 makes the foul decoder of the mqa..???
Is this connection correct..??

I plan to bought at the future the schiit jotunheim 2... your opinion about this combo..??
My current set up is the Ifi idsd signature with the Focal clear and Hifiman arya.
Also I have the desktop amp Loxjie p20 for now.
The only to pushing me for the smsl su-9 is the option to change the color of music... but overall I think the x16 is better choice.. am I correct..??

Thank you for your help and sorry about my poor writing skills..

joseG86

After 5 days I have received my X16 from China to Spain, I'm still testing it but so far so good, anyone needs anything feel free to ask. I think it is better than my other DAC the Topping D90.

Regards

Dannemand

Lol this sarcasm... Please, less subjectivity ;), we all know the enthousiasm/bias of a new equipment (I will taste it soon :D), the lesser subjectivity is posting, the better ASR forum keep his interest.
So you feel it's revealing better details, in comparaison on which DAC ?

I didn't read it as sarcasm. And I would find it very odd if everybody on an audio forum (even one such as ASR) just posted "got mine, plugged in, it works".

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Lol this sarcasm... Please, less subjectivity ;), we all know the enthousiasm/bias of a new equipment (I will taste it soon :D), the lesser subjectivity is posting, the better ASR forum keep his interest.
So you feel it's revealing better details, in comparaison on which DAC ?
Yes you are right. Nothing important, I like the X16, that's all. I am sorry to have posted purely subjective feeling in this forum.

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Got mine yesterday. I connected a dap to DAC(thru usb) to integrated amp(thru rca). After changing display to 'auto off', X16 display will be turned off if dap paused. The display will be turned on once dap resumed. Also MQA, dsd output from dap can be recognized in X16.
So far so good.
BTW, I heard low pop sound when turned the DAC off with amp on. Pop sound when turning it on is a bit louder but not too dramatic. I guess I need to keep it on all the time. Standby @ 6.2W and play @ 6.8W.
Regarding DAC's volume control, initial ly I put DAC at 0dB and int amp at -30dB which is adequate volume to my taste. After that, I can adjust DAC's volume to -20dB and it's almost silent.

Last edited:

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is anyone using the X16 with Ropieee?
  1. Is Native DSD supported?
  2. Is Device Volume supported (whether I can use the Roon Remote to adjust DAC digital volume)?
Thanks!

cbayschm

Forum Donor
Is anyone using the X16 with Ropieee?
  1. Is Native DSD supported?
  2. Is Device Volume supported (whether I can use the Roon Remote to adjust DAC digital volume)?
Thanks!

Native DSD is supported.

I haven't tried the volume, I have it fixed. I use the volume on my amp, which has a remote control. I will test it out later and will update this post with the feedback.

UPDATE:

I tested the device volume: If I set it to device volume it doesn't allow Roon to change it. It still says volume is fixed. So I assume the Linux driver doesn't support changing device volume (same as with MAC OS).

I did try it out with the DSP Volume and it will work, but MQA files will not be detected if Volume is in any position apart from 0dB, which I expected since you are modifying the original stream. I tested it with a MQA.352.8KHz file, and as soon as I move the Volume from 0dB, it goes to PCB 44.1KHz.

If you are not into MQA that could be the option, using DPS Volume from Roon.

Last edited:

ABall

Forum Donor
The special edition versions of the transporters are still avail brand new in America, (only thing that made them special was they had no transknob, not a bad thing as they could play up, basically they ran out of parts) delivery to UK for about £400 but to use them into a DAC defeats everything that made them stand out from something like the Touch. All the expense and work went into the analogue section, mainly power supplies so it would be a waste of money. Oh and no hi res support, the Touch is still the better option, love mine.

axeman

I cannot make the machine recognize the MQA-enabled file, and no matter what is sent, the display shows PCM 44.1. -The front end requires the original code output (ASIO), and the front end needs to adjust the volume to maximum.

Bluesound node 2i needs to output MQA CORE signal, and the following will happen:
1. DAC shows PCM 44.1K, no MQA CORE signal output.
2. If PCM 88.2K is displayed, there is an output MQA CORE signal, but the DAC does not support the renderer;
3. If OFS XX.XK is displayed, the MQA CORE signal is output, and the DAC supports the renderer.

To use MacBook Pro via USB, you need to specify the output device in the playback software and adjust the volume to maximum.

Thank you for this very useful reply. After some playing and experimenting with it, I have realised there may have been an element of 'user ignorance' - Your useful post and my own research and experimentation has confirmed that I think it is behaving exactly as it is meant to.

One limitation of my setup is that when using the Bluesound Node 2i as my streaming 'source' device, this will only output the signal to an external DAC over either Coaxial or Optical TOSlink. As the X16 will only do the full decode and render over USB, if I enable MQA external DAC in the Node 2i the file does not get processed by the DAC. So I have to turn back on the MQA processing in the Node 2i, and send the signal to the DAC for the rendering (the Bluesound does the first 'unfold' of the MQA signal as it were). As far as I can see this is no major issue, other than not allowing the Gustard X16 to handle all of the MQA stages, and it only does the 2+3 unfold/render stages.

When using the MacBook, I send the full signal unprocessed to the X16 and it displays 'MQA' along with the appropriate original sample rate of the file.

Question however: When using the X16 to process signals from the Bluesound (as detailed above), the absolute maximum displayed on the X16 for sample rate is 96Khz - This is because this is the most the Bluesound can send and is a constraint of the device. I assume however that when the Gustard X16 does the 2+3 unfold the final rate will be a multiple of this, due to the subsequent unfolding process of the MQA processing? Am I correct in this thinking?

Thanks again for your help.

boblo

After 5 days I have received my X16 from China to Spain, I'm still testing it but so far so good, anyone needs anything feel free to ask. I think it is better than my other DAC the Topping D90.

Regards
Do you have the 'pop' sound if you turn on the X16 before your amp when using the RCA outputs?
On the other hand, I doubt very much that X16 is better than D90. The D90 is better in many aspects, but I prefer the X16 screen. Both should sound 'transparent' (equal).

Thanks

PS. I'm from Spain too.

isploit

Regards
Thank you for this offer. I'm very curious as in how exactly you find it superior to D90 as I'm also considering both.
It would be very helpful to me if you could specify the sonic differences you believe to hear and then do a controlled blind test to verify.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
I can't imagine anybody can benefit from any type of comparison between the X16 and D90 unless it is simply about features and how they are implemented. The data shows both are completely audibly transparent so one cannot perform better than the other.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I can't imagine anybody can benefit from any type of comparison between the X16 and D90 unless it is simply about features and how they are implemented. The data shows both are completely audibly transparent so one cannot perform better than the other.
I don't have the D90,I have the DX7 pro A90 combo,to me the H16 X16 combo sounds better,just my opinion

Top Bottom