• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

lshivamber

Forum Donor
Trying to use this with Roon and USB connected to Raspberry Pi 4 running ropieeexl unsuccessfully so far. Anyone got this to work?

Imola82

Ordered an X16 last night! This unit will become my first external DAC. My integrated amp has a built-in DAC that I have been using as virtually my only source for the last 3 years - following Tidal HiFi desktop, streaming out of my MacBook Pro. Ordered a pair of XLR cables to connect X16 into the XLR input of my integraded.

Shout out to Apos Audio for their fantastic customer service.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Finally received the Gustard today!

32570585.jpg
Nice setup. I like some of the design elements of that Logitech streamer.

cbayschm

Forum Donor
Trying to use this with Roon and USB connected to Raspberry Pi 4 running ropieeexl unsuccessfully so far. Anyone got this to work?
Hi I have this setup, only difference, I am running ropieee, not ropieeexl.

But it worked right away. I had no issues.

What is your issue? Do you see the bridge in Roon and don't see the dac? Or another issue?

boblo

Does the X16 need a driver for Mac OS X?
I ask this because I have finally bought an Auralic Aries Mini and according to the support page, if it doesn't need the driver, then the X16 is most likely compatible with the Mini.

Thanks.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah, at last. Happy for you.
That Logitech gear, at 2000$ or €, is probably the most expensive of their line !
When I saw it I looked it up. Lots of NOS on ebay in California for about $450. I love the display and knobs, but the handles are a little cheezey.

MiradoOne

Forum Donor
My unit escaped customs successfully and is now sitting pretty on my desk. I've got a lot of listening to do and not a lot of time to do it, but I'm looking forward to digging in!

Good job @gustard, first impression is it's a solid box. I love the feet on it, a nice knurled outside but grippy rubber to sit on my amp without causing any damage. And I think they look good together, don't you? :D

PXL_20210205_012251361.jpg

cbayschm

Forum Donor

To add a little to the post I made before, this is how I have it set up.
I used this USB port on the Raspberry Pi 4:
Raspberry Pi Connection.jpg

I then configured the Ropieee from the web interface as follows:

ropieee config.jpg

On Roon side I see the Bridge and the DAC appears as Gustard USB Audio 2.0. I change the name to Gustard X16, that is not the original name:
Roon Settings Audio.jpg

You have to Enable the device, and the Settings I have it with are as follows:
Roon Device Setup.jpg

Hope this helps! if you need more help let me know and I can see if I can help you get it up and running.

Best Regards,

Carlos

navin

Anyway, the Name is Logitech Transporter. It's a LAN player, with plenty of inputs and ouputs in analogic and numeric. So it's possible to use it just like a streamer and use the X16.

I think Transporter had it's own DAC. Is the Gustard a significant step up from the internal DAC of the Transporter?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Have few Duets, one Touch, an old I can't remember the name and plenty of Raspberry with PiCorePlayer and Daphile units... The ecosystem is still strong.

Last version of the LMS in a web browser with Material Skin is really nice.
I think Transporter had it's own DAC. Is the Gustard a significant step up from the internal DAC of the Transporter?
In pure subjective evaluation: Yes. X16 is impressive. I thought X16 will be boring unit, just honest and without some romantic addition to the music. In fact, it's not boring at all. Lot of details, lot of (subjective) dynamic and also a really improved 3D stage.

KNUPAC

@gustard some feedback for improvement, please ask your developer to set the display auto-off when no signal is detected, currently it turned off after some time awhile but won't come back on unless some button is triggered.

KNUPAC

In pure subjective evaluation: Yes. X16 is impressive. I thought X16 will be boring unit, just honest and without some romantic addition to the music. In fact, it's not boring at all. Lot of details, lot of (subjective) dynamic and also a really improved 3D stage.

in pure subjectivity, it does feel revealing somewhat, some micro-details in my favorite tracks is revealed with X16

gustard

Audio Company
@gustard some feedback for improvement, please ask your developer to set the display auto-off when no signal is detected, currently it turned off after some time awhile but won't come back on unless some button is triggered.

Please read "High Performance Audio DAC User manual”
111.jpg
222.jpg

Top Bottom