• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Anton De

So, can someone of the lucky ones post a comparison of x16 with their other dac? Will it better D90 for instance in the real world?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
It's time for Gustard to post a general photo inside of X16. Or do they want to hide something from us?
Why on earth would you say anything like that? It seems completely baseless. If they wanted to hide something they wouldn't sell it. Anybody who buys it can clearly open it up and look. Please provide some context that causes you to be suspicious of Gustard such as past efforts at hiding something that they were exposed of. Otherwise that seems a little conspiracy theory driven.

Morla

Forum Donor
Regarding "degrading" by attentuation: Can I see from the graphs at which level I degraded SINAD to less than 115 or less than 95?

Sorry if that question "sounds" silly. I'm willing to get burned while learning a thing or two

Dannemand

Regarding "degrading" by attentuation: Can I see from the graphs at which level I degraded SINAD to less than 115 or less than 95?

Sorry if that question "sounds" silly. I'm willing to get burned while learning a thing or two
That is essentially the same graph @jsm was asking for on the last page. Ended in some flaming, but that was because of a misunderstanding.

TheTalbotHound

Forum Donor
Just bought a Soncoz SGD1 and now seriously considering a second new DAC within a month. This device looks amazing.

dan kolov

Why on earth would you say anything like that? It seems completely baseless. If they wanted to hide something they wouldn't sell it. Anybody who buys it can clearly open it up and look. Please provide some context that causes you to be suspicious of Gustard such as past efforts at hiding something that they were exposed of. Otherwise that seems a little conspiracy theory driven.
I apologize a lot, I don't want to say that there is a conspiracy. I was joking, of course.But why didn't Gustard post such a picture inside of X16?
I don't want to open my X16 so as not to lose the warranty.

Frio

such a picture inside of X16?
Yeah, so it wasn't a joke.
It has s not a norm. But gustard actually is one of the few that post many inside shots you can find plenty of those, yet still they don't have to and others don't release them, usually people don't care about electronics.

NorthGraves

SMSL M500 DAC, balanced (XLR) connection into a Rotel RC-1590 pre.

I just tried for fun SMSL vol 20 + Rotel vol 60 vs. SMSL vol 40 (max) + Rotel vol 40 - about the same level of volume.
I noticed ZERO audio difference. But my ears, who knows.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I have been listening to
https://www.last.fm/music/Ela Minus/acts of rebellion with Topping E30 with my stereo setup for a couple weeks before receiving x16. I just replaced the E30 with x16 yesterday. My initial impression is that E30 have a bit more sparkles in the highs as compared to the x16.

During my previous KTB vs E30 measurements, if voltage matched at 120hz, E30 have more voltages from 6KHz and up. See table in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-e30-listening-tests.17988/post-622482

I suspect again this is the case for x16 vs E30.

I quite like the extra sparkles in the high....seem like I am addicted to the E30 highs...now x16 just sounded a bit ordinary, a bit less special when playing the album...This is a bummer....

Frio

Had the e30 before as well and can't really hear a different sound, they are both transparent dacs but with different features. Ok, E30 had some crackling noises sometimes with 5.0 drivers, but that wasn't that often.

ABall

Forum Donor
It is recommended to use XLR connection, or turn off the amplifier first
So I re wired my XLR's to float pin 3 and it's even worse at switch on, my woofer would not stand for me forgetting to switch things on in sequence for very long, it looked like it was going to extend out of the enclosure even though the voltage was reduced to .2v . I tested it on my bluetooth speaker and there was a very light crack at turn on and music plays fine so no apparent problem, just an annoying routine if I want to use it direct to my amps.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Had the e30 before as well and can't really hear a different sound, they are both transparent dacs but with different features. Ok, E30 had some crackling noises sometimes with 5.0 drivers, but that wasn't that often.
Regarding 6Khz+ voltage differences, song choices, speakers, amp, room differences and listening volume might make the voltage differences between DAC audible....So, many variables to consider.

BTW, I don't hear extra sparkles when using L30 and my low cost headphones....So this is unique to my room and stereo setup.

Last edited:

hmscott

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's time for Gustard to post a general photo inside of X16. Or do they want to hide something from us?
You guys with your kidding, all you have to do is ask nicely and give Gustard time to get photos ready and uploaded - if they want to that is... :)

I've seen many Gustard photos of the full motherboard, the A18 and A22 most recently - and, it looks like Gustard has provided many "teaser" shots of various sections of the Gustard X16 internals as part of their marketing materials:

Gustard DAC-X16 Balanced DAC — HiFiGo

@gustard - Would you please kindly post photos of your X16 internals? Thank you!, Scott

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Just did voltage measurements. Indeed, when matching voltage level at 1KHz, E30 have higher voltage level from there on. Differences more obvious from 6KHz and up. Note that the Klein Tools is not accurate tool, just using it to show trend and to compare trend.

KTB_E30_X16_capture.PNG

bkrmar

I have been listening to
https://www.last.fm/music/Ela Minus/acts of rebellion with Topping E30 with my stereo setup for a couple weeks before receiving x16. I just replaced the E30 with x16 yesterday. My initial impression is that E30 have a bit more sparkles in the highs as compared to the x16.

During my previous KTB vs E30 measurements, if voltage matched at 120hz, E30 have more voltages from 6KHz and up. See table in https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...topping-e30-listening-tests.17988/post-622482

I suspect again this is the case for x16 vs E30.

I quite like the extra sparkles in the high....seem like I am addicted to the E30 highs...now x16 just sounded a bit ordinary, a bit less special when playing the album...This is a bummer....
What is the other equipment you are using it with?

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
What is the other equipment you are using it with?
RCA direct to Parasound A21. Parasound A21 to Paradigm Persona B. In a big room (5000+ cubic ft), sitting about 10 ft away from speakers.

My voltage measurements in post #1277 confirms my observations were not just "imagination" like many here like to say.

Top Bottom