• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

gustard

Audio Company
Can't turn the unit off with the button at the top of the remote? So the only way to turn the unit off is with the main switch at the rear?? I think it's a little bit awkward...

@gustard: Are you going to release a better remote that can be purchased separately?

This is not a problem that can be solved by updating the remote control, because the machine is not designed for soft shutdown. A soft shutdown is not a true shutdown. If the machine is not turned off, the circuit board will always be in working condition, which will affect the service life of the machine. This is why the soft shutdown is not designed.

kopczas

This is not a problem that can be solved by updating the remote control, because the machine is not designed for soft shutdown. A soft shutdown is not a true shutdown. If the machine is not turned off, the circuit board will always be in working condition, which will affect the service life of the machine. This is why the soft shutdown is not designed.

So it is or powered up all the time or off with physical switch? No standby mode that relies on input signal?
Weird decision, it`s major inconvenience.

cbayschm

Forum Donor
I have to turn on my amplifier which also has no standby (a tube amp), so I use it as excersise to get up from the couch, turn on both the amp and X16 to listen to music.

Not so bad.

Also I prefer to keep my equipment off by a hard switch, that way if I there is a lightning storm or any electrical problem, my audio equipment isn't fried, or less likely to be fried than being on standby.

gofry

I have to turn on my amplifier which also has no standby (a tube amp), so I use it as excersise to get up from the couch, turn on both the amp and X16 to listen to music.

Not so bad.

Also I prefer to keep my equipment off by a hard switch, that way if I there is a lightning storm or any electrical problem, my audio equipment isn't fried, or less likely to be fried than being on standby.

Yeah same here. I need to connect my ipad or mbp either way. pushing a button is no big deal anymore.

ArturoKiwi

For lazy and not audiophile people the solution could be to connect a power strip to a smart plug

P_Stein

Or this for $10-20 and you just step on it. Just dont tap your foot to the rhythm
1611751383798.png

kopczas

In that case on/off should be placed in front panel.

you will not find this feature without a significant premium.

Correct me if I`m wrong, but D90 turns on from standby with usb signal in.

boblo

For lazy and not audiophile people the solution could be to connect a power strip to a smart plug
I have a power strip for all my gears (CD player, amp and tape deck).
Do you think I can turn off the power strip without turning off the X16 first? If so, then this is not an issue for me.

Thanks

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cause dac chip itself is significantly more expensive (like 10x more AKM vs ESS).

You know these chips cost peanuts right? like 10x 3$ will not make the price difference.

If you want these features then buy a product that has them. Don't go and criticize a product that doesn't have that feature and never advertised them to begin with.

Also why would you buy the X16 if you're already happy with the D90 and find it a superior product....

Reactions: ENG

cbayschm

Forum Donor
You guys can debate all you want, but the reality is the X16 doesn’t have it, you have to get up to turn it on, and you will have to reach to the back to do it...

If you don't like the design, no one is putting a gun to your head to buy it.

The product was designed, manufactured, certified and is shipping. You are late for the feature requests .

boblo

I have a power strip for all my gears (CD player, amp and tape deck).
Do you think I can turn off the power strip without turning off the X16 first? If so, then this is not an issue for me.

Thanks
Anyone?

kopczas

You know these chips cost peanuts right? like 10x 3$ will not make the price difference.

4499 is current at 96$ in digikey. The more you order the cheaper it goes but still it`s a lot. 80$ each with minimum 270 order. Even when taken from manufacturer it`s still not peanuts price ;)
9068 last time (in november) was available in mouser , the cost was 7-8$ per piece.

Top Bottom