• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ArturoKiwi

How? If it is with measurements, you have everything you need on this website.
I don't know. Maybe two friends that has bought the two dacs or someone that listened them in a shop.
Measurements tell me of the good construction and good project, but they didn't tell me if a chip is better than another.

On the paper es9028q2m has less quality of es9038pro. ES9068as is the evolution of es9028q2m, but it is better than es9038pro?

I think that everyone that want to buy a new dac and spend 400/550€ has the same thoughts.
I just asked...

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I don't know. Maybe two friends that has bought the two dacs or someone that listened them in a shop.
Measurements tell me of the good construction and good project, but they didn't tell me if a chip is better than another.

On the paper es9028q2m has less quality of es9038pro. ES9068as is the evolution of es9028q2m, but it is better than es9038pro?

I think that everyone that want to buy a new dac and spend 400/550€ has the same thoughts.
I just asked...

Not sure.

For my part, I am pretty sure plenty of people on this forum consider the difference are measurable but could not be heard.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'm wondering if any manufacturer be implementing the ES9068as with MQA feature disabled? Or is licensing fee built into the cost of the chip?

ArturoKiwi

Not sure.

For my part, I am pretty sure plenty of people on this forum consider the difference are measurable but could not be heard.

I could be wrong, but I think that if someone don't ear differences between the best dac chip and the cheap one of any brand, maybe he/she has to change his/her amplifier and/or speaker.
Why buy the sabre dual es9038pro (any brand) at about 1000$ or € when you have the same performance of a single es9028 at 1/10 of the price?

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
I could be wrong, but I think that if someone don't ear differences between the best dac chip and the cheap one of any brand, maybe he/she has to change his/her amplifier and/or speaker.
Why buy the sabre dual es9038pro (any brand) at about 1000$ or € when you have the same performance of a single es9028 at 1/10 of the price?
Spend one week to read the forum and you will have your answer. For my part, I am tired enough to read the same things since 40 years.

Reactions: m8o

m8o

Forum Donor
@amirm

Did you measure the RCA output at max volume/voltage? I’m assuming you lower the volume to achieve a consistent benchmark standard between all your reviews.

Did the SINAD suffer or improve at max volume? What would you recommend to someone who would use this DAC with the RCA outputs?
Well then, the balanced output would have been 4.0V or as close as the electronic dB attenuation adjustment within the DAC would allow. Pretty sure he always tests at max. As it is a common thing to read [or see in the graphic] in these reviews if a DAC cant achieve 2V unbalanced, 4V balanced, or exceeds it.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well then, the balanced output would have been 4.0V or as close as the electronic dB attenuation adjustment within the DAC would allow. Pretty sure he always tests at max. As it is a common thing to read [or see in the graphic] in these reviews if a DAC cant achieve 2V unbalanced, 4V balanced, or exceeds it.

He says max for RCA is 3.3mv. I was interested about the SINAD measurings at this volume because a lot of people would push the volume to 0db instead of -04 (2.0mv) that he's measuring.

m8o

Forum Donor
He says max for RCA is 3.3mv. I was interested about the SINAD measurings at this volume because a lot of people would push the volume to 0db instead of -04 (2.0mv) that he's measuring.
Well, dont mixup mV with Vrms. Very different. Note that the SINAD graphic is using Vrms.

2.104 Vrms doesnt yield exactly 3.3Vp [peak] so not sure of that designator on the SINAD graphic. But I'm sure a Vrms to Vpeak conversion with some relational factor is behind this. I'll wait for him to provide insight.

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
Just purchased the new x16 Dac, i can’t wait....also enjoying some new 12ax7 tubes,

FYI I purchased 3 pair

JJ high gain ECC803S $47.00 a pair
GENALAX ECC83 gold lions $85.00 pair
Tube Amp Doctor 7025s Premium Select $80.00 pair.

Only had for a few days ...but save some time and money, hands down the Gold lions are wonderful. I am not a interconnect or wire guy so I was skeptical on how much difference I would hear. But I would say 15 % improvement in bass, lushness without being too warm and a wow on sound stage clarity. These are all new tubes, but after this I would someday try well recommended new old stock NOS tubes.

i will burn in the other 2 pair and hope for the best. But the JJ’s are nice and neutral and the TAD are a bit bright.

Happy Thanksgiving

ShadowNeko

Gustard X16 exceeds it in multiple ways, linear power supply, balanced outputs, ALOT more inputs. i would not compare these products at all tbh.
The new toneboard has a linear power supply and balanced outputs though.

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer
@SHENZHENAUDIO Any information about availability? I've ordered last week, do you think it will be in Europe for Xmas?
Hello, friend. We really appreciate your support, really apologize for this delay, we made a statement on our page as to the delay concerned. Pls check it out here: https://shenzhenaudio.com/blogs/news/announcements-for-gustard-dac-x16, if there is any problem, we warmly welcome you to consult us! We'd love to provide any service to you guys.

SHENZHENAUDIO

Dealer

ShadowNeko

No you have to buy your own power supply for the toneboard. It doesn’t come with it.

and the balanced outputs are RCA.
Why does it matter that the balanced outputs are rca? They have a balanced rca to xlr cable.

Top Bottom