• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

zachery2006

I almost got Smsl SU 9. But I was not sure about Smsl quality control. My first DAC purchase this year was Smsl m500 and it came with defective screen. Pretty bad first impression.

It looks like I might get this one. I like my Khadas Tone Board, but I do wish for a display, remote, and xlr out. Any comments about quality control of Gustard DAC? Thanks!
I almost got Smsl SU 9. But I was not sure about Smsl quality control. My first DAC purchase this year was Smsl m500 and it came with defective screen. Pretty bad first impression.

It looks like I might get this one. I like my Khadas Tone Board, but I do wish for a display, remote, and xlr out. Any comments about quality control of Gustard DAC? Thanks!
I just joined a group chat with Chinese fans/customers of Gustard. They recommend x16 than a18 due to the power supply. One thing to clarify: both use the same linear power supply(one 9v 20w). But a18’s one chip of ak4499 consumes a lot of power than two chips of ess 9068. They complaint a18 about the power supply is not enough for ak4499, so some of them said there is obvious audio difference that you can hear between a18 and a22(2x50w power supply). But the 20w power supply is enough for dual 9068. So they suggest me whether buying new x16(beautiful data) or a22(good feedback of customers). The only drawback of x16 is that it is quite new, no one has experience with it. There was one guy told me that a22 is more better than d90, he compared both them, he could identify a22’s better performance immediately, he returned d90 then.

Anyway, I ordered x16 yesterday night for $449usd with 11.11 sale.

zachery2006

So transformer shown on hifigo product page is not the one used in reality ? Secondary is 2x15V 1A there.
Yeah, that’s not correct, their marketing guys use wrong photo which belongs to h16.

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I just joined a group chat with Chinese fans/customers of Gustard. They recommend x16 than a18 due to the power supply. One thing to clarify: both use the same linear power supply(one 9v 20w). But a18’s one chip of ak4499 consumes a lot of power than two chips of ess 9068. They complaint a18 about the power supply is not enough for ak4499, so some of them said there is obvious audio difference that you can hear between a18 and a22(2x50w power supply). But the 20w power supply is enough for dual 9068. So they suggest me whether buying new x16(beautiful data) or a22(good feedback of customers). The only drawback of x16 is that it is quite new, no one has experience with it. There was one guy told me that a22 is more better than d90, he compared both them, he could identify a22’s better performance immediately, he returned d90 then.

Anyway, I ordered x16 yesterday night for $449usd with 11.11 sale.
Thank you and others who responded to my post.

I just ordered one.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
I just joined a group chat with Chinese fans/customers of Gustard. [...] There was one guy told me that a22 is more better than d90, he compared both them, he could identify a22’s better performance immediately, he returned d90 then.

Well, if it is a Gustard fan group, of course he found the A22 better. I wonder if anybody here has compared it ti the D90 in a subjective (HORROR) way.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Retail price for ESS9068 is about 15$, it`s not much so if mqa being attached into core dac does not affect other non mqa formats, it makes no difference if it`s there. That kind of performance for 15$ it`s a steal.
I spend $15 dollars for pizza and never complain some even want more with inferior cheeses

Last edited:
Reactions: m8o

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I am not exactly sure what this means: "C0AX/ AES/OPT/IIS supports MQA hardware rendering"

Will the coax in works with node2i coaxial out (with node2i external mqa DAC option turns on)?

Thanks!

zjx1017

I am not exactly sure what this means: "C0AX/ AES/OPT/IIS supports MQA hardware rendering"

Will the coax in works with node2i coaxial out (with node2i external mqa DAC option turns on)?

Thanks!
I think it would work this way.Node 2i outputs decoded MQA signals to X16 to do the rendering

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I think it would work this way.Node 2i outputs decoded MQA signals to X16 to do the rendering
You meant don't turn on node2i "external mqa DAC" option and Node2i will output decoded mqa via optical, am I correct? Thanks!

Veri

Master Contributor

Thanks!
The DAC chip detects MQA, so this is one of the first DACs that doesn't only support MQA over USB.

zjx1017

You meant don't turn on node2i "external mqa DAC" option and Node2i will output decoded mqa via optical, am I correct? Thanks!
Yes I suppose so.
External MQA DAC” = Disabled: SPDIF outputs an “MQA Core Decoded” stream in a 24/88.2 or 24/96 container.

External MQA DAC = Enabled: SPDIF outputs a bit-perfect undecided MQA stream in a 24/44.1 or 24/48 container.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The DAC chip detects MQA, so this is one of the first DACs that doesn't only support MQA over USB.
MQA claims that it is not possible to convert MQA losslessly into PCM or DSD. I wonder if there is something special going on during the conversion when the DAC chip doesn't support MQA natively, or is this just false.

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
MQA claims that it is not possible to convert MQA losslessly into PCM or DSD. I wonder if there is something special going on during the conversion when the DAC chip doesn't support MQA natively, or is this just false.

It’s not impossible, but it doesn’t make a lot of sense to do it. The “second unfold” is an instruction to the DAC regarding what digital filter to use. You could apply this in software and increase the PCM sample rate 8x (8 times), but it would be a colossal waste of space.

The first unfold is easy to convert to PCM, and that’s really all you need.

Veri

Master Contributor
As long as ESS has no public implementation details out, it really isn't clear if it is unfolding and then using MQA's filter, or if it's doing something ESS proprietary and then sending it to the Sabre DAC which uses its own oversampling filters. I'm pretty sure it's the second..

kopczas

I`ve just placed an order. 2 hours left for 15% off.
After Amir`s measurement I bought Topping A90 to be my preamp (so I got headamp for free) and I found it better than one can imagine. Hope it will be the same with this DAC.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
giphy.gif

Topping right now.
Haha as a Topping fan I totally get this. Either way, we are living in the golden age of hifi

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Handsome device with all the right features and great performance. This would be at the trop of my list if I was looking for a new DAC for my lounge HiFi/TV setup. The only drawback is the small volume indication. I would not be able to see it from my couch lol. It's hard to beat the DX3 Pro's big, bright, orange LED volume display. It's visible across the room!

Top Bottom