• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
No, there's your answer. There's really little point.

You can purchase a Pi2Aes to bridge it. That one can output to many formats (including I2S).

Veri, why do not use the DAC connected to the USB port from the Raspberry Pi? Is there any advantage to use I2S? Is not it possible to grab I2S directly from the processor using GPIO?

Oklei

Forum Donor
Is not it possible to grab I2S directly from the processor using GPIO?
That is possible but the clock would be a jitter-festival. Therefore you need a hat with a real clock that drives the raspi in slave mode. Additionally you need to make balanced signals to transport the i2s signal via hdmi cable. Have I tried it? Yes. Why? Dunno. Is it worth it? No.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
That is possible but the clock would be a jitter-festival. Therefore you need a hat with a real clock that drives the raspi in slave mode. Additionally you need to make balanced signals to transport the i2s signal via hdmi cable. Is it worth it? No.

Ok, ok, but why not a DAC on USB port? With the XMOS input in the DAC the jitter is reduced to near nothing I've understood, with I2S, there is always more jitter.

m8o

Forum Donor
Ok, ok, but why not a DAC on USB port? With the XMOS input in the DAC the jitter is reduced to near nothing I've understood, with I2S, there is always more jitter.
Since I'm the one that brought this up, I'll answer... because we can. It's got the input. And a new [to me at least] input standard. Why not try it?

Oklei

Forum Donor
ok, but why not a DAC on USB port
Since we have the raspi 4 there is no reason not to use usb anymore. Before there could be problems with usb at high sample rates because raspi <=3 shared Ethernet and USB Audio on the same bus.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
So if you want to try and invest a lot of time inside this game, you can go for an Amanero card or a Chinese copy from Ali. After you receive your Amanero, you can spend a lot of time in different tweaks because you can.

- https://amanero.com/
- Ali

Reactions: m8o

typericey

Apologies if I'm being repetitive, but let me state my case again for better usability. I'm just hoping that Gustard, Topping and SMSL are reading this. Yes, this Gustard's one dial interface looks gorgeously minimalist, but I'm sure it is frustrating to use.

My wish list in no particular order:
  • An actual power button in the front panel
  • individual buttons for each input and outputs (I'm tired of cycling through inputs with a single button Topping!)
  • larger, brighter display panel with gigantic font size for volume/input level (maybe it's time to bring back VFD's in a '90s retro chic fashion?)
  • LED indicators above mentioned buttons to show active input, filter, etc.
  • a dedicated knob for volume/input level
  • a remote with labels on what each button does
  • a wider case that would look better in a hi fi rack (can be as thin as they like i.e. 1 U)
DAC performance have reached far beyond what is audible. Manufacturers can stop with the SINAD race already and hopefully address the above mentioned in their future products. Their entry level ~$100 DACs understandably can have just two buttons, but their top tier models ones should measure well and be a joy to use.

This may seem like I'm campaigning, but please like this post or reply if you agree. I believe we can influence the manufacturers' future products.

Tips

does this Gustard have Bass/Treble controls and/or Loudness function?

gustard

Audio Company
does this Gustard have Bass/Treble controls and/or Loudness function?

Hello, if these functions are placed on a device after the DAC, it should be more appropriate. For example, power amplifiers, because they determine the final volume, so loudness compensation is performed by them. The X16 has a digital volume attenuation function. But we suggest not to do any attenuation, so as to ensure the maximum dynamic range of the sound source

pimy

Hello, if these functions are placed on a device after the DAC, it should be more appropriate. For example, power amplifiers, because they determine the final volume, so loudness compensation is performed by them. The X16 has a digital volume attenuation function. But we suggest not to do any attenuation, so as to ensure the maximum dynamic range of the sound source

Welcome Gustard :cool:

Oklei

Forum Donor
if these functions are placed on a device after the DAC, it should be more appropriate.
Loudness, bass/treble, eq should be done in the digital domain not in an analog device downstream. Therefore they should be included in the player or streamer before the dac or in the dac itself.

gustard

Audio Company
Loudness, bass/treble, eq should be done in the digital domain not in an analog device downstream. Therefore they should be included in the player or streamer before the dac or in the dac itself.

Because DAC is still in a stage of rapid development. Integration in the DAC will undoubtedly increase the cost, and due to the rapid obsolescence of the whole machine, the replacement loss has increased. Both digital domain processing before DAC or analog domain processing after DAC are possible.

This kind of function runs counter to high fidelity in our concept. Therefore we will not design such a function.

Tips

Because DAC is still in a stage of rapid development. Integration in the DAC will undoubtedly increase the cost, and due to the rapid obsolescence of the whole machine, the replacement loss has increased. Both digital domain processing before DAC or analog domain processing after DAC are possible.

This kind of function runs counter to high fidelity in our concept. Therefore we will not design such a function.

OK, thank you.
I have to buy RME ADI-2 then.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
I enjoy Qobuz particularly with the Studio Premier annual subscription for USD 150/Yr which makes it cheaper than Tidal. Anyway, I am in US and want to stream from KKBox which is not for US. I have used VPN to make that work. Are you willing to consider using VPN?

Qobuz is a French company and their 24/192 plan is now 180 euros / year. It was 250 euros / year until last month.
Still disappointing that Qobuz is cheaper in USA (150usd / year) than in their home country.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
OK, thank you.
I have to buy RME ADI-2 then.
You also have it in your player. It will be the same processing ( probably even more precise in software because they will use thousands of taps with 64 bits calculations, the question if you can hear the difference is another topic).

MrOtto

So you are saying if I use a power amplifier with no gain control, I should leave the DAC volume setting at 0db (full volume) and regulate volume with a preamp between DAC and power amplifier for best sound quality? Thanks.

Orak

Sounds like gustard are saying not to use the volume control which is a shame would be nice to bypass a normal preamp and keep signal path short ,i see this a lot with digital attenuators and i presume they dont design a discrete stage so it doesnt impact measured performance,its a shame Amir does not focus more on this.

Morla

Forum Donor
So you are saying if I use a power amplifier with no gain control, I should leave the DAC volume setting at 0db (full volume) and regulate volume with a preamp between DAC and power amplifier for best sound quality? Thanks.

Or even better control volume before it gets to the dac!

Top Bottom