• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

This makes me want to see the Astell&Kern Kann Alpha measured, also an ES9068AS implementation. Interesting for a portable setup (though, more of a theoretical one for me, don't really do portable anymore).
The manufacturer claims a SINAD value of ~110dB unbalanced (~106dB balanced), and an output impedance of 0.8ohm unbalanced (1.8ohm balanced, which is quite underwhelming or dare I say, sub-par, just like A&K's entire lineup IF those values are actually true. After all, there have been a few instances of manufacturers selling themselves short (the FiiO A5 comes to mind). If an external test of the Kann Alpha turns out the same way that of the A5 did, I am buying all of them.

Reactions: xup

gvl

Major Contributor
MQA is an emerging technology that may never fully emerge if Tidal goes under. It's surprising manufacturers are willing to spend resources to embed it on their chip, but perhaps it's not that difficult it's just another filter and gives them a competitive edge.

pompecukor

Is there a reasonable priced MQA capable DAC out there which has parametric EQ?
So like the RME ADI-2 but with full MQA support.

Why are none of these (top Chinese brand) DACs not giving EQ options?

m8o

Forum Donor
Hope the manufacturer is equipped for hi volume production. Because these are going to become hard to come by otherwise!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
MQA is an emerging technology that may never fully emerge if Tidal goes under. It's surprising manufacturers are willing to spend resources to embed it on their chip, but perhaps it's not that difficult it's just another filter and gives them a competitive edge.

I have an early Dragonfly Red, and I remember being so relieved that I could do a firmware update and get that magical MQA indicator. Likely just a filter as you indicated.

I'm not one who claims to have ever heard a difference, either through the Dragonfly (been years... Probably couldn't find it at this point) or through the M500 that I use at my desk now.

zjx1017

dang,I just bought smsl m400 for $670 2 weeks ago.should have waited and purchase this DAC since both measurements are quite good.

ndis

Can we use XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously like we can with toppind D90 (for subwoofer connection)?

m8o

Forum Donor
Hope the manufacturer is equipped for hi volume production. Because these are going to become hard to come by otherwise!

Actually, you're all on your own. I just pre-ordered one in Silver (looks great) from Shenzhen Audio's own site! (sure as heck don't need another DAC tho!)

The cheapskate that I am, so one usually buying items used, I've been waiting for something new with this level of performance and features for an affordable price for a long time. No reason to wait and have an endless internal debate about it. ;)

Btw, saw the weirdest thing ever while checking out. They have a "leave a Tip" feature on the checkout form. I did so, admittedly the minimum default; remember, cheapskate here. Is this something common with chinese e-commerce sites?

Last edited:

dmac6419

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the just announced Gustard X16 Balanced USB DAC with hardware decoding. It was kindly sent to me for testing by SHENZHENAUDIO. The X16 costs US $499.

The X16 is based on the new ESS ES9068AS DAC which has built-in hardware decoding of MQA bitstream. Until now, this was performed upstream of the DAC but now the functionality is core to the DAC chip itself.

The X16 has a solid feel to it but doesn't distinguish itself from other desktop DACs:

View attachment 92496

While a remote control is provided, navigation is easy enough using the rotary control and center button. I like the informative display but as with other Gustard products, I question showing the volume level in such tiny letters. It needs to be center and large with the sample rate shown small.

Back panel shows the usual connection including Bluetooth:

View attachment 92497

Like the nice gold plated connectors.

Gustard X16 Measurements
Let's open the show with our usual dashboard:
View attachment 92498

Wow! I must say, I did not know in advance they were shooting for the moon this way. This is superb performance in a $500 package, placing the X16 second in the list of all DACs tested ever:
View attachment 92499

Here is our top 10 list:

View attachment 92500

So little separates these DACs from each other.

Here is the performance of the RCA output:

View attachment 92501

In both cases, full audible transparency is achieved and then some. Sum of noise+distortion is well below the self-noise of our ears.

Signal to noise ratio is wonderful:

View attachment 92502

If you have noise in your system, this is NOT the place to look!

Intermodulation distortion vs level shows a bit of our famous "ESS IMD Hump" which we discovered two years ago:
View attachment 92503

Shame on ESS for not helping its licensees solve this issue across the board. Fortunately the impact here is very small and it really shows up because the system noise floor is so low.

Jitter and spurious tones are almost nonexistent (difficult in a low noise DAC) and this is even true of Coax input which these days is typically neglected:
View attachment 92504

Intermodulation distortion using our 32-tone test is extremely low:
View attachment 92505

THD+N versus frequency where a lot of DACs fail is excellent as well:
View attachment 92506

This is partially due to good filtering of which only three are available:
View attachment 92508

Did ESS take out the other options or did Gustard? Either way, it is fine by me. I used L Fast for my testing by the way. Default is M Slow I think. Wonder if that is also the MQA filter?

Linearity which is a test of accuracy was the most perfect I have seen:
View attachment 92509

This thing glued itself to the 0 dB error line like nobody's business!

Conclusions
The Gustard X16 comes in an unassuming package making you think you have bought a mid-priced DAC. But looks are deceiving as it produces some of the best measurements I have seen out of some 350+ DACs I have tested! Talk about getting ready to battle with the best of the best. Yes, there is a hint of ESS IMD Hump but it is not excessive enough for me to worry about it although I hope they look at eliminating this.

It is my pleasure to strongly recommend the Gustard X16 MQA DAC.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Thank God or my Higher Power I didn't jump on the S.M.S.L SU9 although that's a good DAC too.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there a reasonable priced MQA capable DAC out there which has parametric EQ?
So like the RME ADI-2 but with full MQA support.

Why are none of these (top Chinese brand) DACs not giving EQ options?
I think your best option is to use software like Roon to feed your DAC from a computer. Roon has an excellent EQ fully customizable and it works with MQA tracks.

Reactions: m8o

Feyire

1605033778680.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can we use XLR and RCA outputs simultaneously like we can with toppind D90 (for subwoofer connection)?
Yes. ALL of these DACs work this way. Both outputs are active at the same time.

pompecukor

@amirm thank you for all your handwork here. All your reviews are wonderful eye openers. Is RME ADI-2 still you main desktop setup. I read somewhere that you mention that you liked it so much and will be using it.
All this time I have been only focusing on MQA capable units, but the more I read about it, the more I realize that they really are an "evil virus" that needs to be stopped. And the only way to do that is by at least those that try to go after the truth to not support them with their money.
My only issue is Qbuz or whatever is called is not supported in my country (Strange as I am EU too and it is a french service). Not sure I want the hassle to have to hunt and download each music I like from some Flac source. Online streaming is just so convinient and I am getting the feeling that Tidal in an attempt to make you thing otherwise will actually degrade a file to make you want to get the "Master"QA version.

Labjr

Major Contributor
Shouldn't be long for this level performance under $200.

xup

The manufacturer claims a SINAD value of ~110dB unbalanced (~106dB balanced), and an output impedance of 0.8ohm unbalanced (1.8ohm balanced, which is quite underwhelming or dare I say, sub-par, just like A&K's entire lineup IF those values are actually true. After all, there have been a few instances of manufacturers selling themselves short (the FiiO A5 comes to mind). If an external test of the Kann Alpha turns out the same way that of the A5 did, I am buying all of them.
I think the AK Kann is a bit unique. Has loads of power, it is a DAP (not just an amp or just a DAC) has a huge battery and a few more feature. Now, again, I'm not in the market, but I think that features put it in a unique place that allows it to have a higher price tag. Kind of like the Chord Hugo when it came out, not many items like that on the market back then.
I haven't heard an AK in a really long time, but from memory, the one I had (AK120 Titan, bought used, don't worry, didn't pay the atrocious original price, not even close) sounded better than the FiiO players it replaced (x3/5 i/ii for both).
I do wonder how they sound now that I've had more DACs and amps and how they measure in general.

Palex

" The ES9068Q will offer Best-in-Class performance based on the SABRE DAC architecture with HyperStream® II modulation and can be used as a functional upgrade to the successful ES9018K2M, ES9028Q2M, and ES9038Q2M products. The ES9068Q provides a Dynamic Range of 128dBA and total harmonic distortion of -120dB THD+N. The DAC can support a wide range of input formats including: PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, DSD1024, DoP, SPDIF, and MQA."
As I have understood - better ES9038PRO, than ES9068Q?

Top Bottom