• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
BTW Amir was already measuring this for you by doing the linearity test. If you were doing anything is questioning the credibility of the graph. So please, don't put on the bias that 'what I'm personally seeing must be more credible'. no.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Come on. Been watching this for a few days now.
It's probably just that the high frequency modulation noise tricked the multimeter. And Multimeter is almost never accurate in measuring AC higher than 100Hz(or has large components that are in high frequency) .
Get an oscilloscope at least or better a proper sound card to remotely measure something like this accurately.
Or you could ask anybody else who has the tool to measure for you. Are you really believing what you are measuring?
Hmm, are you sure you actually read my responses? I have said in multiple occasions that my device is NOT accurate.

I have asked a few times for people with proper equipments to help verified my findings. I got nothing.

Actually, you are a great candidate. How about it? Help me out?

All you need to do is to use REW output -16db, and measure voltages outputs of E30 vs x16 over a range of frequencies. Shut me up please.

Thanks a bunch!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hmm, are you sure you actually read my responses? I have said in multiple occasions that my device is NOT accurate.

I have asked a few times for people with proper equipments to help verified my findings. I got nothing.

Actually, you are a great candidate. How about it? Help me out?

All you need to do is to use REW output -16db, and measure voltages outputs of E30 vs x16 over a range of frequencies. Shut me up please.

Thanks a bunch!
My second comment is probably what you need. And if you still have questions, I'd love to help. I'm staying in the company in the luna new year holiday. But I don't have X16 tho. I have a lot more other devices if you want me to test.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
One point i see is probably linearity test at different frequencies. I'll try to measure that.
I was going to ask that linearlity test was for what frequency. It seems you are thinking it is not for 20hz to 20 kHz, but just for a frequency like 1khz, am I correct?

A Surfer

Major Contributor
There will always be flat earthers as there always will be people willing to depart with thousands of dollars for fairy wing laced cables.

Don't waste your time trying to change that, let them be.

This has gone like 2-3 pages of:
I'm right...
No, I'm right...
No, I'm right....
Repeat....

Neither of you will convince the other, get over it and move on.
I'm not trying to convince him/her.

navin

Have few Duets, one Touch, an old I can't remember the name and plenty of Raspberry with PiCorePlayer and Daphile units... The ecosystem is still strong.
In pure subjective evaluation: Yes. X16 is impressive. I thought X16 will be boring unit, just honest and without some romantic addition to the music. In fact, it's not boring at all. Lot of details, lot of (subjective) dynamic and also a really improved 3D stage.

What is a good LVDS (i2s) equipped media player/streamer (I want to play FLAC from a Hard drive as well as stream from Tidal) you could recommend for use with the Gustard X16? A friend and I have placed orders for 2 but we don't have a media player yet. We don't want to use a PC, just a stand-alone machine. Budget $500-700. Thanks.

The plan was to use the CoAx input for my CD Player (Marantz Pearl), the TosLink input for my game (PS4 Pro), use the LVDS (I2S) input for a media player and keep the USB input free in case I temporarily want to connect my laptop.

Last edited:

navin

After 5 days I have received my X16 from China to Spain, I'm still testing it but so far so good, anyone needs anything feel free to ask. I think it is better than my other DAC the Topping D90.
Regards

This is good to hear. We chose the X16 and then the D70s came out and we were wondering if we made a mistake.

What source do you use? Thanks.

navin

asked an m2tech young mk3 in loan..the 2.5-3x the price of the gustard but oh booy that thing sound amazing.

Whats the rest of your audio chain? I saw that the M2Tech Mk4 sells for $2500-3000 so that is 5x the cost of the X16. At 5x the cost, it should sound a lot better (if the rest of the audio chain and room acoustics permit).

navin

Nobody is actually hearing differences in these DACs. Those who say they are are doing sighted listening tests, which are irrelevant and should never be considered as anything but fanciful fun. Seriously.

I don't know about a D90 vs X16 comparison but recently I switched an Abrahamsen A-DAC out for an Audiolab MDAC Mini in my friend's system (source was his 2015 MacBook via TosLink and Speakers were Genelec monitors) and he could tell the difference. We did not expect to hear any difference but we did. I don't know how these 2 dacs measure, but there were audible differences that were heard by both of us.

In short, while measurements are useful, listening to music matters.

Last edited:

navin

I'm the opposite, my preference is for Chinese gear now as they seem to be the only ones making feature rich, audibly transparent DACs. The Modius seems to be a great option, but no Bluetooth which for me is a minimal connectivity option that must be included. DACs from other companies like Chord are offensively over-priced so not an option unless one has the money to burn. IMO. I am sure there are some non Chinese/SE Asia offerings that I am unaware of, but from what I see these days, for the price, you just can't beat what is coming from companies like SMSL, Gustard and Topping.

There is always the rate of diminishing returns be it speakers, amplifiers, source components or DACs. For many of us the room, speaker placement, source, amplification are all compromises. After all, how many can afford dedicated listening rooms. For many of us, our speakers are in less than ideal locations because putting them 3m for each wall is not feasible.

Topping, SMSL, Gustard etc make very good DACs (and are excellent value), but I would reserve my judgement of the more expensive DACs (or source components, loudspeakers and amplifiers) until I have heard them in a room and audio chain befitting their status. For the past 50+ odd years that I have been listening to music, I have heard some fantastic systems. Systems I could not afford, in rooms I could not afford. I consider myself fortunate to have the opportunity to listen to these wonderful systems as they have inspired me to try and achieve 30%, 50%, 70% of the same with 10% of the budget.

Last edited:

Pankar0

Hello I need an explanation because I am a nubby with the head fi...
My current set up is the ifi idsd signature and my source is my Samsung smartphone ,
I m listening mostly Tidal mqa via the UAPP app.
I m planning to order the x16 for a desktop use.
The question is...
The connection with my smartphone.
The right way is smartphone to otg cable to usb cable to x16 usb... am I correct..??
Then I must use the UAPP app or I can use the Tidal app..?? Because the x16 doing full decoding..?? Which is the better way.
Can someone help please.
Thanks for your help and sorry about my poor writing skills.

Veri

Master Contributor
This is good to hear. We chose the X16 and then the D70s came out and we were wondering if we made a mistake.

What source do you use? Thanks.
Please try to bundle questions inside of an individual posts, you can quote as many people as you want in one post.
And no worries the X16 is excellent in every facet.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
At 5x the cost, it should sound a lot better (if the rest of the audio chain and room acoustics permit).

Why do you think that?

navin

Please try to bundle questions inside of individual posts, you can quote as many people as you want in one post.

How? I do not see a multi-quote button. Never mind I figured it out. Thanks. Sorry about this. I am not so PC literate.

Why do you think that?

I would hope so. A Mercedes should be better than a Honda. It costs more and for it to offer the same value it needs to be better.

isploit

I would hope so. I Mercedes should be better than a Honda. It costs more and for it to offer the same value it needs to be better.
Define better... It's really not that easy as you make it to be, there are many factors to be considered.

Now here it can be very easy, has that DAC been measured yet?

navin

Define better... It's really not that easy as you make it to be, there are many factors to be considered.

Now here it can be very easy, has that DAC been measured yet?

Some 8 years back I was looking for a stereo system. I ended up checking out 3 amplifiers, a Yamaha, a Luxman, and an Accuphase. The Luxman cost 2x the Yamaha and the Accuphase cost 2x the Luxman. The speakers that were used were Monitor Audio GX300 in a well-treated room. I can't remember the source, but it was a CD player of repute.

I asked the dealer to switch amps without telling me the order in which they were being played. At the end of about 3 hours of listening to 4 of my CDs with all 3 amplifiers, I could tell the Amp B was very slightly better than Amp C and much better than Amp A. Granted I only heard each amplifier for 30-40 minutes with a 2-3 minute gap while I went to the next room to have coffee and the dealer switched amplifiers. So it's not an absolute test but the best I could do given the time I had at my disposal.

Amp A was the Yamaha A2000 (which is what I bought) because I could not afford the Luxman or the Accuphase. I don't know how each measured, but I am willing to bet that they all measured well.

Better is hard to define as it is mostly subjective. When we say David Gilmour is a better guitar player than a club/studio musician it means so much more than the notes they play.

nerone

So a dac with very good sinad measures like Topping E30 sounds the same as Gustard x16, D70, D90...?

Top Bottom