• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

P_Stein

If you turn off MQA decoding and use coax/optical, what do you get?

Interesting, I get OFS when I turn off MQA decoding. So this means that the Gustard X16 can only do the second unfold right? I guess if it doesnt affect the sound quality its not bad right? The 44 seems a bit low for the master tracks but maybe it was just the ones I chose for this small test. Ill try coax as well.

IMG_0014 (1).jpgIMG_0015 (1).jpg

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Interesting, I get OFS when I turn off MQA decoding. So this means that the Gustard X16 can only do the second unfold right? I guess if it doesnt affect the sound quality its not bad right? The 44 seems a bit low for the master tracks but maybe it was just the ones I chose for this small test. Ill try coax as well.

View attachment 108535View attachment 108536
I think X16 can only do full MQA decode via USB. Since Node2i don't have USB out, we need to use coaxial/optical. X16 can only do second unfold via coaxial/optical. So what I read is that what you are doing now is how the full unfold can happen via coaxial/optical. OFS is what you are supposed to see.

I searched online about Tidal Master and this is what I found, so CD quality is possible:
While HiFi recordings are limited to 44.1 kHz / 16 bit, Masters will reflect the original source, which can range from CD-quality, to 96 kHz / 24 bit, and in some cases, ultra-high resolution files with sample rates of 192 kHz and beyond.

Parkerjon

For those that have the X16 already/analysis of Amir's specs: is there any reason not to leave that output at 0db (100%) via XLR.
With the previous device, a SMSL SU-8 v2, I had to trim the output somewhat to avoid distortion - and this was backed up analysis/feedback on this site.
I guess the other variable is the ability for the preamp/integrated to accept what the X16 is outputting.

kschac

Anyone know if the XLR and RCA outputs on the X16 can be used simultaneously? I'd like to use the XLR outputs to feed my power amp and the RCA outputs to feed a subwoofer. I believe the XLR outputs offer higher gain so I would have to adjust my subwoofer volume. Thanks.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I think X16 can only do full MQA decode via USB. Since Node2i don't have USB out, we need to use coaxial/optical. X16 can only do second unfold via coaxial/optical. So what I read is that what you are doing now is how the full unfold can happen via coaxial/optical. OFS is what you are supposed to see.

I searched online about Tidal Master and this is what I found, so CD quality is possible:
While HiFi recordings are limited to 44.1 kHz / 16 bit, Masters will reflect the original source, which can range from CD-quality, to 96 kHz / 24 bit, and in some cases, ultra-high resolution files with sample rates of 192 kHz and beyond.
What is OFS ?

ArturoKiwi

Last edited:

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor

P_Stein

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm happy with OFS at the moment. The soundstage has expanded and it sounds crisper than the Node 2i. Higher sampling rates above 96(386?) are showing both tidal connect and the BluOS app. Coax or optical doesn't matter. Perhaps in the future Ill get a new streamer with an USB output so I can point to the Gustard like a nutjob saying "look at that... its MQA!"

Also, Im using the XLR in parallel to my sub and have to drop -15dB as its way too boomy. The XLR is definitely higher gain but Im happy with it so far.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm happy with OFS at the moment. The soundstage has expanded and it sounds crisper than the Node 2i. Higher sampling rates above 96(386?) are showing both tidal connect and the BluOS app. Coax or optical doesn't matter. Perhaps in the future Ill get a new streamer with an USB output so I can point to the Gustard like a nutjob saying "look at that... its MQA!"

Also, Im using the XLR in parallel to my sub and have to drop -15dB as its way too boomy. The XLR is definitely higher gain but Im happy with it so far.
Good to hear it is working well for you and you prefer it over node2i. I am going to use Node2i too. I plan to send X16's XLR to stereo amp and RCA to subs. Will see how it goes. I should get it delivered this week.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
No idea. I read that from gustard earlier response. It supposed to indicate further unfolds were done when using coaxial or optical input. Maybe @gustard can explain further....
But I haven't hook up coaxial or optical only USB had to go into Roon and change it to decoder/renderer for it to display and encode MQA

dmac6419

Major Contributor

Parkerjon

Good to hear it is working well for you and you prefer it over node2i. I am going to use Node2i too. I plan to send X16's XLR to stereo amp and RCA to subs. Will see how it goes. I should get it delivered this week.

I am using an XLR Y splitter on both channels to send output to both an Integrated and a long run to a headphone amp (THX 789) at my desk: working well.

gofry

Hi Everyone,
I'd need advice, especially from those who own an X16 and owned something else before. My amp (right now) is an rx-2080 (I know might not measure as to notch, had a x3600 and x4500 but was a yamaha guy for years and simply their sound was just not for me, so embrace it please). And I pretty much like how sabre premier sounds in the yamaha. So I'm in the limbo between X16, A18 , A22 and don't know which one to pick. Based on purely listening to youtube and other recordings I kinda dropped topping d90 and smsl su-9 , m400 might be coming back but I kinda liked gustard better. So what would you suggest?
And yes...I'm leaning towards the x16 was just brave enough to pull the trigger.
@gustard I dropped a pm to you on a similar note with extra questions

boblo

Probably in hurry he (the responsible for FW) swapped S with F, hence OFS. But yeah, O S F makes sense.
A small typo. Could you fix it with a firmware update?

@P_Stein : Keep in mind that the Node 2i won't play audio higher than 192kHz. I think this is true even if you got a 768kHz capable DAC.

Well, I'm not sure about the above, I cannot find that info. on the Internet. The Bluesound specs claim the following:
Native Sampling Rates
32 - 192 kHz
Bit Depths
16 - 24
DAC
32-Bit, 192kHz

I recommend that you write to Bluesound support.

Try with this playlist (all tracks are 192kHz) and watch the sample rate on the display (you should not have any issues):
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/1cbce60c-2412-451e-a1e1-39faf87b617b
Then try with this one (all tracks are 352.8kHz):
https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/ed8350de-a7db-4b02-b17b-edeeeeb98b32

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom