• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

Fjfjsh

Kind of wish all the manufactures would just band together and drop mqa just to teach them lesson on being too heavy handed.

Veri

Master Contributor
Kind of wish all the manufactures would just band together and drop mqa just to teach them lesson on being too heavy handed.
Market follows consumer interest though. Both western and Asian market wants this decoding functionality so unless there's non-MQA and MQA-capable/licensed options available it'll be priced in to accommodate for it :(

dan kolov

Does anyone have any idea how many of Tidal's records(master quality ) are 352 KHz?And do they sound better than the recordings 96KHz and down?

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone have any idea how many of Tidal's records(master quality ) are 352 KHz?And do they sound better than the recordings 96KHz and down?

Tidal uses the infamous mqa. So you will have something worse than CD, as it doesn't have all those mqa artifacts with it.

Fjfjsh

So I haven't seen anything on Tidal so far that goes above MQA 192kHz, that doesn't mean that there aren't any though. An interesting thing I've noticed is that Tidal and Amazon will have the sample rate for the same song, but Amazon does it in Flac while Tidal outputs it in MQA. Interestingly to my ears the MQA sounds cleaner because of missing micro details. My current headphones cannot move the driver fast enough, or accurately enough without making them sound muddy. Is it better to lose detail for a cleaner sound? It might also be that Amazon music doesn't have a true exclusive mode, it still goes through the windows sound processor.

MalinYamato

think my SMSL M500 is kinda end game wrt DACS unless I want something with Bluetooth. Why pay much more?

MalinYamato

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/ed8350de-a7db-4b02-b17b-edeeeeb98b32
However, you must really like classical music if you want the best MQA quality at 352.8kHz (I like it).
great playlist with MQAs! clicked on it and is playing it right now :) I love classics and jazz, but I am on Linux and need to get this one on my Strawberry player to get MQA to lit on my DAC -- WOW -- it is indeed an improvement to play those trackls with MQA lit on the DAC instead through the browser with no MQA.

Last edited:

MalinYamato

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Tidal uses the infamous mqa. So you will have something worse than CD, as it doesn't have all those mqa artifacts with it.
You just regurgitating now,why can't you just not listen to MQA,there's no gun to your head.

MalinYamato

Please explain what exactly you think is bad about MQA? What artifacts are you talking about? Where in the folds are they located or how are those generated? Compression, encryptions, decoding, and encoding are part of my job and I've read the MQA spec. Theoretically, It makes sense to me so pls educate me if I am missing something.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Please explain what exactly you think is bad about MQA? What artifacts are you talking about? Where in the folds are they located or how are those generated? Compression, encryptions, decoding, and encoding are part of my job and I've read the MQA spec. Theoretically, It makes sense to me so pls educate me if I am missing something.
These people are on the Tidal rant,when they don't have to subscribe to Tidal,it's just straight foolishness

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning

mqa is a proprietary, closed, and LOSSY format, self-claiming something imposible to archive as "high resolution audio".

But above ALL that... it has DRM ! OMG!

Is worse than CD quality as the source is fully tampered with artifacts of all kinds. Is 17-bit at best, but due to all those artifacts added it only manage to make it bad, really bad.

So educate yourself:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-of-controversies-concerns-and-cautions.2407/

boblinds

My sympathies to Gustard in this. IMO, this just shows how the folks behind MQA are really only interested in getting in the middle of everyone's business and raking off a share of the revenues. What I've heard so far of MQA is nothing special. I preordered the X16 for its DAC performance, not for its MQA functionality.

P_Stein

A couple people here look like they are gonna do the Node 2i---Coax----Gustard X16. So clooose to clickin buy! :) I kinda got a newb question :facepalm:

My bass management has always been done on the Node. I have it connected to an AVR(SR7013) where the THREE RCAs(L/R/Sub) from the Node are going to the 7CH In. It bypasses Marantz DAC. It sounds waaay better than the CD IN because of that. CD IN does bass management but reDACafies my signal:)

For a Node with Ext DAC, are you guys taking the TWO RCA outputs from the ext. DAC(like the X16) to an integrated amp where it avoids hitting a second DAC, but does base management?

Top Bottom