• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

cbayschm

Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm going to buy the Bluesound Node 2i streamer and I would like to have full MQA decoding/rendering with Tidal Hi-Fi, so the X16 is my only option so far (Mytek Liberty and iFi Neo iDSD are too expensive for me).

I currently have the SMSL SU-9 DAC, but I won't get full MQA rendering with the Node 2i due to the lack of USB output on the Node 2i, so I'm seriously thinking in buying the X16 and sending the SU-9 back to Amazon. I also am not happy with the SU-9 build quality and other 'features', sound is awesome though:
- I have the 3 rubber feet issue, mine is not stable
- I have issues with the USB connector
- I don't like the volume indicator so huge, so I prefer the sample rate with big numbers like the X16 does (yes, I'm a rare guy).
- The remote control seems cheap, there are 3 buttons with no associated functions (it's a generic remote control for other devices too).
- The sound color filters are placebo (but I already knew this before buying).

In short:
Will there be any problem with the Node 2i<->X16 connection in order to play MQA at 352.8kHz as maximum? I need to know this before ordering.

Thanks in advance

PS. I got in touch with Audiophonics, and they told me that the X16 should be back in stock at the end of this month. Hope that helps.

I checked on the bluesound forums and seems that the Node 2i will do the first unfold of the MQA file (decode) and send it decoded to the digital output. So it will work.

X16 does the first unfold on the USB chip, so if you feed it from any of the other inputs, it will need it to be unfolded outside the X16. But the rendering (second and third unfold) is done by the DAC chip, so in your case you should get the MQA 352.8kHz.

Also on another note, Audiophonics is the distributor, it cannot know more than the manufacturer, and the manufacturer answered in the message just before yours that he didn't know when he can ship. He is waiting for MQA approval.

ArturoKiwi

very sorry! This is really not good news, but there is no way.
I think that many of us would like that someone of MQA start writing here and take their responsibility :(

ArturoKiwi

You gotta write to MQA, they'll get back to you in about two weeks or less.
Unless they must respect the social spacing between theirself and their pc :D

gustard

Audio Company
I checked on the bluesound forums and seems that the Node 2i will do the first unfold of the MQA file (decode) and send it decoded to the digital output. So it will work.--If so, that's good.

X16 does the first unfold on the USB chip, so if you feed it from any of the other inputs, it will need it to be unfolded outside the X16. But the rendering (second and third unfold) is done by the DAC chip, so in your case you should get the MQA 352.8kHz.--YES

Also on another note, Audiophonics is the distributor, it cannot know more than the manufacturer, and the manufacturer answered in the message just before yours that he didn't know when he can ship. He is waiting for MQA approval.--Continue to wait for messages from MQA.

gustard

Audio Company
I think that many of us would like that someone of MQA start writing here and take their responsibility :(
As the UK continues to implement COVID restrictions, this becomes more difficult. This is something that everyone does not want to see. Pray that God will let the COVID disappear soon.

boblo

Thank you very much @cbayschm and @gustard .

@gustard: Are you going to provide firmware updates for the X16 when is released? I would like to see the bit depth of source on its marvellous OLED display. There are very few DACs that do this.

Morla

Forum Donor
Yeah who gives a shit about quality control.

lol yeah as if MQA would do that! For that they would have to inspect every unit. Besides.. we know at least that one unit measured very well.. who needs a listening test now?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
lol yeah as if MQA would do that! For that they would have to inspect every unit. Besides.. we know at least that one unit measured very well.. who needs a listening test now?

Are you aware of the fiasco that happened few days ago in the Speaker section about Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 ? Amir couldn't tell from the measurements that there is a huge resonance at 600Hz till he listened to the speakers.

Unless you're using the DAC for research, listening is part of quality control.

And they (MQA) do do it for every unit otherwise we wouldn't be in this situation.

Gradius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why so many likes MQA?

MQA is actually SCAM as they promote as "high resolution audio", when in reality is NO better than 17-bit + tons of artifacts !

Top Bottom