• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

ArturoKiwi

Can any one suggest XLR cables to purchase on Amazon or any where for that matter?
I just bought a Ricable Magnus xlr, lifetime warranty, really really happy with them.
They are not cheap as the Mogami, but it's an Italian brand that mede their cable professionally and with passion.
I bought an usb cable too, but I didn't test it yet

fabriciom

I just bought a Ricable Magnus xlr, lifetime warranty, really really happy with them.
They are not cheap as the Mogami, but it's an Italian brand that mede their cable professionally and with passion.

230€ for 2 cables???

Veri

Master Contributor
On the USB cable page:
"The sound performance is characterized by a marked improvement in the bass range, which acquires depth, and by a better separation in the mid-high range, which gives brightness and detail to voices. The greater control makes the listening more airy and fresh. Certainly the best result is obtained with lossless source files, but the general improvement is perceivable also in PCM". Err. PCM is lossless. Marketing dude dropped the ball

Sorry to say but this is utter nonsense, snake-oil pandering. Hate to say you probably wasted some good money.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Can any one suggest XLR cables to purchase on Amazon or any where for that matter?

Blue Jean Cables does nice work.

I have some Amazon basics cables and they have been fine. Are you looking for bling factor, or do you just want to spend as little as needed for competent cables?

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everything is ready and can be delivered immediately after passing the MQA certification.

It's nice and welcome to see Gustard's communication at last.
I wish this brand would invest a bit more in PR aso.
The products are (very) good.
But in today's world, we need more.

fabriciom

Blue Jean Cables does nice work.

I have some Amazon basics cables and they have been fine. Are you looking for bling factor, or do you just want to spend as little as needed for competent cables?

Just looking for good cables. No snake oil.

Van Dam seems good but provider is in the UK and they are totally shut down because of the virus.

I might just make the cables myself. If I can source the connectors and cables local.

Doesn't seem to be too difficult.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Just looking for good cables. No snake oil.

Van Dam seems good but provider is in the UK and they are totally shut down because of the virus.

I might just make the cables myself. If I can source the connectors and cables local.

Doesn't seem to be too difficult.

It's not difficult, it's just a bit of a pain. I've done it, but haven't lately, because I'm a lazy bastard.

fabriciom

It's not difficult, it's just a bit of a pain. I've done it, but haven't lately, because I'm a lazy bastard.

I've found everything at my local electronic shop for about 35€.

I will use the neutrik NC3 M/F XX-B connectors with gold tips.

Shielded mic cable with 2 cores 0,22mm.

nighteagle

This or the d70s? Going to connect it to a topping a90 using xlr. Using sennheiser hd 800s. Source is a computer (usb). Only going to be used for gaming and music listening.Today I am using a topping d50s. Wanna switch to xlr.

Also do they have usb drivers like topping? How is driver updates? Quick releases for Windows if needed?

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
This or the d70s? Going to connect it to a topping a90 using xlr. Using sennheiser hd 800s. Source is a computer (usb). Only going to be used for gaming and music listening.Today I am using a topping d50s. Wanna switch to xlr.

Also do they have usb drivers like topping? How is driver updates? Quick releases for Windows if needed?
Like AKM DAC chip? -> D70s
Don't care? -> Do you like MQA or not? ->
Yes? -> X16
No? -> D30pro
Maybe SU-9 too, but I think X16 is better than SU-9.

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Yes? -> X16
No? -> D30pro
John Yang I'm looking for a streamer, you guys got something in the works for 2021

nighteagle

Yes? -> X16
No? -> D30pro

Dont use mqa atm. Maybe in the future?

Dont know about AKM vs ESS. Sound signature? But guess they sound the same? Clean?

Negatives of the x16
Ess hump. Something to worry about?
Not shipping yet

Negatives of the d70s:
Ouputs more than 4v xlr have to go -2 volume
Costs 150 usd more

Drivers and fast driver updates on new Windows builds if needed is a must.

Last edited:
Top Bottom